Archer: Cowboys' time to focus on defense

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' time to focus on defense

May, 9, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The defense-needy Dallas Cowboys opened the draft by selecting offensive linemen Zack Martin with the No. 16 pick in the first round.

For all of those upset the Cowboys did not take Johnny Manziel, there were an equal amount of people upset the Cowboys did not take a defensive player. Any defensive player.

With a defense that ranked last in the league in 2013 and lost its leading sacker, Jason Hatcher, and the franchise’s all-time leader in sacks, DeMarcus Ware, in the offseason, there was a level of confusion over the Cowboys’ pick.

“We felt like we had needs going into this draft,” coach Jason Garrett said, “You want to address your needs, but you want to address your needs with the best players available. We felt like we did that.”

The Cowboys have 11 more picks. They have one each in today’s second (No. 47) and third rounds (No. 78). Maybe now is when the Cowboys stress defense, defense, defense.

“I would say right now we need a defensive player more than we need an offensive player,” owner and general manager Jerry Jones said.

The Cowboys lost out on their top safeties, especially with Jimmie Ward going in the first round to the San Francisco 49ers. The top two safeties, Calvin Pryor and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, went to the New York Jets at No. 18, and the Green Bay Packers at No. 21 respectively. TheArizona Cardinals took Deone Bucannon at No. 27.

Several defensive line options remain in Demarcus Lawrence, Kony Ealy, Timmy Jerniganand Scott Crichton. The Cowboys had all of them in for a visit to Valley Ranch before the draft. Of the group, Lawrence would fill the more pressing need at right defensive end.

“It’s no secret we’d like to have some defense in this draft,” Jones said.

But he would not rule out the best-player-available theory the Cowboys used in the first round either.

“I think we’re going to go down just like we made (the Martin) decision,” Jones said. “We’re going to see what player is there available for us. We’re going to see what trades are there, and I wouldn’t want to bet a lot that we might not take an offensive player.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But he would not rule out the best-player-available theory the Cowboys used in the first round either.
Have they leaked where Martin was ranked on our board yet? Or leaked where Manziel was ranked on our board? Should be interesting to see who was actually higher. I'm also just curious to see how highly we had Martin ranked.

hstour

Brand New Member
Heard that Bortles was ranked above Johnny and also heard that Martin was the #1 OL on their board. But of course I am getting my info from sports talk radio, so take it with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom