MLB Chatter Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yep. Going to be nice year and a half with a legit catcher.
Already seems to be a great trade. Him and Beltran both.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I guess we have to watch out for the Mariners now.

Cotton

Staff member
I guess we have to watch out for the Mariners now.
Yep. The Stros have been in a bit of a funk lately.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
My wife & I are coming to Houston for a couple of games when the Cubs are in town. Friday September 9th is a night game & Saturday is an afternoon game. We are going to stay somewhere downtown near Minute Maid on Friday night & there are some really good deals for a hotel called Club Quarters Hotel Houston. Booking.com gives it a really nice rating & it also gets nice reviews from Trip Advisor. Any of you Houston guys know anything about it? I am slightly skeptical only because it seems underpriced for a downtown hotel but I haven't seen anything negative about it. Looks like a pretty decent spot and it is only for one night so I think I am going to book it soon unless someone knows something I don't and advises against it.

Last edited:

Kbrown

Not So New Member
My wife & I are coming to Houston for a couple of games when the Cubs are in town. Friday September 9th is a night game & Saturday is an afternoon game. We are going to stay somewhere downtown near Minute Maid on Friday night & there are some really good deals for a hotel called Club Quarters Houston. Booking.com gives it a really nice rating & it also gets nice reviews from Trip Advisor. Any of you Houston guys know anything about it? I am slightly skeptical only because it seems underpriced for a downtown hotel but I haven't seen anything negative about it. Looks like a pretty decent spot and it is only for one night so I think I am going to book it soon unless someone knows something I don't and advises against it.
I don't know much about hotels and such, but it doesn't have a bad reputation that I know of.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I don't know much about hotels and such, but it doesn't have a bad reputation that I know of.
Thanks. It seems fine but I just booked a room at the Hilton. It isn't drastically more than Club Quarters and is also about half a mile from Minute Maid.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The Stros are done, injuries and the call ups not hitting have doomed the year.

They will have to get some legitimate bats this off season, 2/3rds of the outfield has been terrible this year.

They need to see what they have in Reed, Guriell and Bregman for the remainder of the season.

Musgrove looks like a legit top of the rotation starter, him and Mcullers look like some great young guys to build around moving forward.

Cotton

Staff member
The Stros are done, injuries and the call ups not hitting have doomed the year.

They will have to get some legitimate bats this off season, 2/3rds of the outfield has been terrible this year.

They need to see what they have in Reed, Guriell and Bregman for the remainder of the season.

Musgrove looks like a legit top of the rotation starter, him and Mcullers look like some great young guys to build around moving forward.
Musgrove looks like the shit. You better hope they hang onto him. I see him being a player from what little I have seen of him.

Cotton

Staff member
Tim Tebow to pursue a career in professional baseball

Adam Schefter
ESPN Senior Writer

Former NFL quarterback and current ESPN broadcaster Tim Tebow is actively pursuing a career in professional baseball and plans to hold a workout for Major League Baseball teams later this month, according to his agents Jimmy Sexton and Nick Khan.

For almost the past year, Tebow has been training in Arizona and Los Angeles to hone his hitting and fielding skills in a sport he has not played on a full-time basis since 2005.

Tebow was an All-State baseball player in Florida that year and hit .494 as a junior, helping Nease High School reach the final four of the Florida state playoffs.

"Obviously we support Tim in his pursuit of a baseball career, as we have in all his ventures," said Sexton, Tebow's football agent, who is now working with CAA baseball agent Brodie Van Wagenen.

"Tim's athletic ability, his work ethic, his leadership and his competitiveness were evident in football and will show in baseball. Knowing Tim's passion and desire, we won't be surprised by anything he accomplishes."

Tebow -- who turns 29 on Sunday -- has notified his current employer, ESPN, of his desire to chase a baseball career, but he will continue to fulfill his broadcast obligations to the network.

All 30 MLB teams will be invited to Tebow's workout at the end of the month, an event he has been preparing for over the past year. Those who have seen Tebow hit have been surprised he picked up the sport so quickly after not playing it since high school.

But football coaches had been aware of Tebow's baseball prowess. One of Urban Meyer's first encounters with Tebow was on the baseball field, and college coaches knew of the quarterback's interest and talents in baseball.

Now, with Tebow's football career stalled, he has decided to pursue another one of the sports he excelled at in high school.

:tippytoe

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Sounds like a perfect signing for Houston.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This guy just needs to quit sports and go into politics.

Cotton

Staff member
And, the jokes have already started. Speculation is he might sign with the Padres.

Cotton

Staff member

:lol

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Tim Tebow to pursue a career in professional baseball

Adam Schefter
ESPN Senior Writer

Former NFL quarterback and current ESPN broadcaster Tim Tebow is actively pursuing a career in professional baseball and plans to hold a workout for Major League Baseball teams later this month, according to his agents Jimmy Sexton and Nick Khan.

For almost the past year, Tebow has been training in Arizona and Los Angeles to hone his hitting and fielding skills in a sport he has not played on a full-time basis since 2005.

Tebow was an All-State baseball player in Florida that year and hit .494 as a junior, helping Nease High School reach the final four of the Florida state playoffs.

"Obviously we support Tim in his pursuit of a baseball career, as we have in all his ventures," said Sexton, Tebow's football agent, who is now working with CAA baseball agent Brodie Van Wagenen.

"Tim's athletic ability, his work ethic, his leadership and his competitiveness were evident in football and will show in baseball. Knowing Tim's passion and desire, we won't be surprised by anything he accomplishes."

Tebow -- who turns 29 on Sunday -- has notified his current employer, ESPN, of his desire to chase a baseball career, but he will continue to fulfill his broadcast obligations to the network.

All 30 MLB teams will be invited to Tebow's workout at the end of the month, an event he has been preparing for over the past year. Those who have seen Tebow hit have been surprised he picked up the sport so quickly after not playing it since high school.

But football coaches had been aware of Tebow's baseball prowess. One of Urban Meyer's first encounters with Tebow was on the baseball field, and college coaches knew of the quarterback's interest and talents in baseball.

Now, with Tebow's football career stalled, he has decided to pursue another one of the sports he excelled at in high school.

:tippytoe
:picard

Nothing wrong with the guy giving it a shot but it is absurd to think at 29 and not having played baseball since high school over 10 years ago that you have a snowball's chance in hell to make it as a pro. Trying to hit a baseball against high level pitching is really, really hard. He hasn't even ever played at the minor league level.

If Barry Bonds or Ken Griffey, Jr. were in this exact situation they probably would fail. You just can't step away from the game for that long and expect anything but failure. MLB teams will show up for the workout I'm sure but I can guarantee you most to all of those scouts are rolling their eyes and treating it as nothing more than a courtesy call.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member
:picard

Nothing wrong with the guy giving it a shot but it is absurd to think at 29 and not having played baseball since high school over 10 years ago that you have a snowball's chance in hell to make it as a pro. Trying to hit a baseball against high level pitching is really, really hard. He hasn't even ever played at the minor league level.

If Barry Bonds or Ken Griffey, Jr. were in this exact situation they probably would fail. You just can't step away from the game for that long and expect anything but failure. MLB teams will show up for the workout I'm sure but I can guarantee you most to all of those scouts are rolling their eyes and treating it as nothing more than a courtesy call.
Just another example of his attention seeking ways. He has been out of the spotlight for far too long. At least Jordan did it while he was already excelling at a high level in another sport.

Top Bottom