Blue/White Scrimmage

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Bleacher Report ranked Claiborne 81 among CBs in 2015.

PFF ranked Claiborne 96 among CBs in 2015.

I'd say 80 or 90 sounds about right.

dallen

Senior Tech
Going through the different videos on DC.com.

Claiborne looks legit, he just looks much smoother and quicker, with that said I'm just waiting on the injury.:lol

Anthony Brown looks good as well, which is especially surprising with him playing a lot of slot.

Andy Jones has looked good, he looks physical and has some ability to go and get the ball.

Russel also has flashed some, he looks similar to Lawrence at this point last year.

Coe looks very average.

Tapper is getting the Lawrence treatment from last year.

Butler is not standing out as expected.
I forgot we had an actual player named Tapper now and had a Julius Jones flashback

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Bleacher Report ranked Claiborne 81 among CBs in 2015.

PFF ranked Claiborne 96 among CBs in 2015.

I'd say 80 or 90 sounds about right.
Bleacher Report and PFF? :shrug

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Claiborne played like an average NFL CB last year, which is more than most of us expect out of him honestly. We know he has talent, the problem is his toughness and what's in his head, maybe the fact that he was out on the open market and got nothing better than a marginal 1 year deal is enough to light a fire under his ass, who knows?

Combine that with being an extra year removed from the torn ACL and maybe he is ready to step up as a legit starter. He'll never justify the price that was paid for him but if he ends up being a solid starter that can give you 2-3 INT's a year it'll be way more than anything any of us expected a year or two ago.

Genghis Khan

Bleacher Report and PFF? :shrug
I agree that they are not the be all end all and I don't have a whole lot of respect for their rankings. That said, there aren't many rankings out there that would go deep enough that Claiborne would even show up on the rankings. At the very least it is an indication that at least two independent objective sources rate him very very low. If they aren't entirely accurate they at least generally agree that he was pretty bad. They aren't both going to be THAT far off.

If you have a better source that ranks him differently I'd love to see it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I agree that they are not the be all end all and I don't have a whole lot of respect for their rankings. That said, there aren't many rankings out there that would go deep enough that Claiborne would even show up on the rankings. At the very least it is an indication that at least two independent objective sources rate him very very low. If they aren't entirely accurate they at least generally agree that he was pretty bad. They aren't both going to be THAT far off.

If you have a better source that ranks him differently I'd love to see it.
I just think you are going to see rankings based on reputation and viewed draft rankings. I'm not going to say he played great but I'm also not going to Crap on his play last year. We got some decent to good plays out of him and we got the usual injury bug. He is just hindered by draft expectations.

Genghis Khan

I just think you are going to see rankings based on reputation and viewed draft rankings. I'm not going to say he played great but I'm also not going to Crap on his play last year. We got some decent to good plays out of him and we got the usual injury bug. He is just hindered by draft expectations.
If people call him average I think their standards have been lowered.

To me, average is in that 33 to 65 range. Without personally evaluating every corner in the league, I feel confident in saying his performance last year was not among the top 65 corners in the league.

I don't base this on reputation. I recall him being beaten many times in 2015. I recall many times watching a successful passing play against us and seeing Claiborne chasing the player that just caught the pass.

I don't believe the rankings I cited are based on reputation. I question their methodology and criteria for evaluation, but I do believe they attempt to evaluate each player's performance.

Regardless, I'm not presented these rankings as proof that he's literally the 81st or 96th corner in the league, but rather that my own opinion is not out of left field.

And the fact that 2 independent evaluators rank him similarly low lends credence to the notion that those who consider him adequate or league average are probably overrating him (probably because he was somehow even worse prior to 2015).

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Switching gears briefly, apparently Anthony Brown has been a training camp standout. Whereas Kavon Frazier has been invisible.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Switching gears briefly, apparently Anthony Brown has been a training camp standout. Whereas Kavon Frazier has been invisible.
Brown reminds me in a lot of ways as a young Scandrick. Would be really nice if he worked out that way.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The Cowboys had a much higher grade on Brown relative to where he was drafted

Top Bottom