The salary cap trick the Cowboys will use with Tony Romo’s contract

p1_

DCC 4Life
The salary cap trick the Cowboys will use with Tony Romo’s contract
David Moore Follow @DavidMooreDMN Email dmoore@dallasnews.com
Published: January 21, 2015 10:25 am

Tony Romo is key to the Cowboys success during the regular season.

And he’s essential to carving out room under the salary cap in the off season.

The quarterback is scheduled to make $17 million in 2015. His cap hit is $27.7 million.

The club will convert a large portion of that salary into a signing bonus. That way Romo can get the money in a lump sum before the season gets underway and the club can break it up and spread it over the remainder of his contract. That lowers the salary cap hit in 2015, giving the club more room to retain their own free agents or pursue others.

“We all realize that anything you push forward that if you don’t use it it’ll cost you cap space that you could use for other players,’’ owner Jerry Jones said. “On an older player, the farther you put it out in the future the less likely you are to use it. That’s the point. That’s the trick.

“On the other hand, the effort is to right now put together the best value we can using those dollars and that’s the art of the deal. I will tell you when I look at Tony I certainly do see four or five more years, so nothing scares me four or five years out.’’

It’s all about maximizing the talent around Romo now while he’s in peak form.

“This was carefully thought out when we made our agreement with Tony,’’ Jones said. “We knew that as we moved along there will be _ reallocation is the best way to say it _ with his salary, moving it around so that at a given time we could put the best group together with his supporting cast.’’

townsend

Banned
If Romo were to retire in 2016 would we have to eat the entire bonus that year?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If Romo were to retire in 2016 would we have to eat the entire bonus that year?
I believe if he retired after June we'd eat a prorated portion in 2016 and all the rest in 2017.

Basically if they restructure him again, I don't know if we could afford for him to be gone very easily in 2016, June or not.

Top Bottom