Watkins: Ten players the Cowboys might draft

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ten players the Cowboys might draft

May, 8, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

The Dallas Cowboys have 11 draft picks over the next three days. Here are 10 players who might become rookies for America's Team.

1. Zack Martin, tackle, Notre Dame: The Cowboys might be able to stay at No. 16 overall and select him in the first round. Martin will play guard his rookie year and then eventually move over to replace Doug Free at right tackle in Year 2. It's a win-win for the Cowboys. They get an immediate upgrade in the interior and also a future tackle.

2. Demarcus Lawrence, defensive end, Boise State: Lawrence profiles as a late first round/early second round pick. Dallas may move back to snag him if nobody else is attractive to them at No. 16. Lawrence lined up on both end spots and will start immediately. The starting ends are George Selvie and Jeremy Mincey, that's not going to upgrade the pass rush.

3. Calvin Pryor, safety, Louisville: There are three players competing for the free safety spot on the roster and you might add Pryor to the list. He can play in the box and in center field and is a solid tackler. One team official said there's not much difference between Pryor and Alabama safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. Pryor is a first round selection without a doubt and should improve the defense.

4. Aaron Murray, quarterback, Georgia: Cowboys sent quarterback coach Wade Wilson to Murray's pro day and he excelled. He's proven the knee injury he suffered last season won't be a problem. The Cowboys ruled out drafting a quarterback in the first round because he will have to sit a few years behind Tony Romo. But if they draft one in the middle rounds, they'll be willing to let him watch and learn.

5. Andrew Jackson, inside linebacker, Western Kentucky: The Cowboys need to make some decisions regarding the weak side and strong side linebacker spots. Jackson is someone the Cowboys like, but not somebody they're willing to draft in the first round. He's more of a third round or fourth round selection. He's a good tackler that can play strong side and weak side linebacker and will contribute on special teams his rookie season.

6. C.J. Fiedorowicz, tight end, Iowa: We know the Cowboys have Jason Witten. We know the Cowboys have James Hanna. We know the Cowboys have Gavin Escobar. But if you're talking about best possible player available, in the second round, then Fiedorowicz could be it. It would create a log jam at the position, but coach Jason Garrett loves competition, right?

7. Timmy Jernigan, defensive tackle, Florida State: Cowboys officials won't downgrade Jernigan's value despite his failed drug test. He took on constant double-teams in college. While the Cowboys don't believe one-technique players are high first round selections, Jernigan could be selected late in the first round or early in the second.

8. Brandon Dixon, cornerback, Northwest Missouri State: This is a deep draft for corners where you might see four go in the first round. The Cowboys like Dixon's ability to play zone coverage and despite his raw skills, there is a tremendous upside to him. He's a sixth or seventh round pick and someone who has visited Valley Ranch.

9. Trai Turner, guard, LSU: He's not worth getting at No. 16, but expect a second round push for him if he's still around. Turner can fill a need at guard given the past health situations of Ronald Leary and Mackenzy Bernadeau. While the defensive line needs upgrades, the Cowboys are always looking for better offensive linemen.

10. Kenneth Acker, cornerback, SMU: With six seven-round picks this year, the Cowboys can use one on this 5-foot-11 5/8th 190-pounder who runs a 4.5 40 and has a 36-inch vertical jump. He can compete with B.W. Webb for the No. 4 corner spot and make an impact on special teams.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
:lol

Oh, look...CB's and TE's OH MY!!!

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
4. Aaron Murray, quarterback, Georgia: Cowboys sent quarterback coach Wade Wilson to Murray's pro day and he excelled. He's proven the knee injury he suffered last season won't be a problem. The Cowboys ruled out drafting a quarterback in the first round because he will have to sit a few years behind Tony Romo. But if they draft one in the middle rounds, they'll be willing to let him watch and learn.
This actually makes sense given the reason Murray stock slipped was an injury he's apparently gotten over.

Positives:
This is a legit 2nd round talent.
He's insurance vs a Romo injury
Pressure to start him is lessened because of being drafted in the 4th round.
Really low salary

Negatives
Contract length is only going to be 4 years, giving even fewer chances to test him
4th round picks success rate sucks.
Injury prone?

In this case the positives outweigh the negatives.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
:lol

I'd prefer passing on a QB altogether until next year or possibly 2016.
I don't want to wait for a QB in waiting. This is an ideal year to make a move with the number of picks Dallas has. There are still some good candidates to choose from.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't want to wait for a QB in waiting. This is an ideal year to make a move with the number of picks Dallas has. There are still some good candidates to choose from.
I agree. There are still a few QBs I like in this draft and if they fall to the right spot I'd still snatch one up. Of course that probably means the fourth round or later.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The number of picks is kind of an illusion. We have our regular allotment of picks, minus the 6th rounder. All our extra picks are in the 7th, and a QB pick in that round I'm not really interested in.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I agree. There are still a few QBs I like in this draft and if they fall to the right spot I'd still snatch one up. Of course that probably means the fourth round or later.
If Garopollo is available in the third I would pull the trigger. Tempting to look at second round possibilities but the defense is a higher priority.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The number of picks is kind of an illusion. We have our regular allotment of picks, minus the 6th rounder. All our extra picks are in the 7th, and a QB pick in that round I'm not really interested in.
Might could bundle some and trade up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Garopollo is available in the third I would pull the trigger. Tempting to look at second round possibilities but the defense is a higher priority.
I'd take Murray or Mettenberger in the fourth and you are probably right with Garopollo in the third. Garopollo actually kind of reminds me of Andy Dalton except without all the horrible ginger features. The type of QB you can win with if you build the right O-line and defense around him.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Might could bundle some and trade up.
Some what, 7th rounders? We could only trade three of them. The other three are comp picks.

Those three 7th rounders might get us a 6th. I'm not interested in a 6th round QB, either.

My wanting a QB this draft has passed. Unless somebody like Garopollo falls to the 5th (impossible) I want the next three picks to be dedicated to the defense. There will be good players there. This draft is overflowing with them, if only we're smart enough to play to the strength of the draft. I'd hope so, considering it is our biggest need by a landslide.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some what, 7th rounders? We could only trade three of them. The other three are comp picks.

Those three 7th rounders might get us a 6th. I'm not interested in a 6th round QB, either.

My wanting a QB this draft has passed. Unless somebody like Garopollo falls to the 5th (impossible) I want the next three picks to be dedicated to the defense. There will be good players there. This draft is overflowing with them, if only we're smart enough to play to the strength of the draft. I'd hope so, considering it is our biggest need by a landslide.
You might be able to bundle the sevenths with the fifth to get an extra fourth though...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Especially if it is a turd like Gilbert.

hstour

Brand New Member
So you'd rather draft now and lose 2 years of that 5 year cheap contract? Or would you rather go ahead and cut Romo this year and take a $32M cap hit, an $11.5M cap hit next year or would you rather draft in 2016 and get a $9.5M cap bonus for cutting Romo to help fill in around your new franchise QB?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Cutting Romo is not in my equation unless he can't play at some point. Then he can retire on his own volition. If Romo plays three more years the back up drafted would have one year left on his contract and a lot of prep time to take over. If Romo goes down this season the team is screwed either way. My planning is geared to a team strategy instead of a Cap strategy. That part will have to be put on the table and roll the dice.

hstour

Brand New Member
I just don't think you can take the cap strategy out of the equation. I get you have to roll the dice. I just roll them with Romo for the next year at the least, preferably 2 years. You DON'T restructure him and let him go after 2016. You attempt to draft his replacement next year with a mid rounder and continue to add to the OL & DL. If you hit on the mid round QB great. If not, then the 2017 draft you have to use a high pick for his replacement. And he doesn't have play behind the line that Troy did and get his brains beat in his first year. You also either have 3 years left on your new QB's contract (if acquired in 2016) or you have him for 4 (with a 5th year option).

Top Bottom