Helman: Mizzou Defensive Tackle Richardson Could Be The Best Off the Board

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Mizzou Defensive Tackle Richardson Could Be The Best Off the Board
Posted 3 hours ago

David Helman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

(Editor’s Note: Heading into the upcoming NFL Draft, held April 25-27, DallasCowboys.com will take a closer look at the prospects, including some that could be potential fits with the Cowboys. Today’s featured player is Missouri defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson).

Name: Sheldon Richardson
Position: Defensive Tackle
College: Missouri
Height/Weight: 6-2/294

Honors: Richardson was named first-team All-SEC – the only Missouri player to earn that distinction in the Tigers’ first SEC season – after he compiled 75 tackles and five sacks.

Key Stat: Despite the fact that he’s one of this draft’s high-profile defensive tackles, Richardson hasn’t had much of a chance to reach his full potential. He was one of the most-anticipated recruits to sign with the Tigers, but he only started 14 games during his career. The fact that he’s considered a consensus first rounder after such a small sampling of experience indicates quite a high ceiling.

Where He’s Headed: The trio of Richardson, Florida’s Sharrif Floyd and Utah’s Star Lotulelei have all been considered first round defensive tackles since this year’s draft hype began. Richardson backed that up with a strong combine, and he figures to be selected in the top 25.

How He Helps the Cowboys: Much is made about the need to revamp the offensive line, and for good reason. But the Cowboys need to stock their defensive interior, as well, and it’s feasible that Richardson could still be available at No. 18. His speed could make for a fearsome pass rush, and his outspoken nature lends itself to that Cowboys’ swagger.

Scout’s Take: Will be the third best defense tackle on many boards, but has a real chance of being gone by the 15th pick. … Really like how he stays active in the play. … Good inside hand use. … Shows some initial quickness. … Did a really nice job of getting outside on the screen and causing a fumble against South Carolina. … Will use a spin move to free himself on the pass rush. … Can change direction and redirect. … Tackled well in space. … Played the low block well. … Will fight up the field and is a good player on the move. … Tough player to handle when he gets in the gap and charges up the field. … Can beat the block back with quickness. … Does a nice job of working down the line of scrimmage and getting in on the play. … The game that he had the most trouble in was against Texas A&M. He played way too soft and he didn’t get off blocks like he did against Alabama, South Carolina and Kentucky. … Would be a great addition as a three technique in this scheme because of how he gets up field and attacks the blocker. – Bryan Broaddus

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I would feel like we were in line for a steal if this guy somehow made it to Dallas at 18. If the Cowboys reach for Fluker and this guy is available I will feel cheated, even though Fluker might be a decent starter in time.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I feel like Fluker will be a decent starter immediately.

But I'd still prefer Richardson.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

But I'd still prefer Richardson.
Fluker is an immediate starter and a stud run blocker. Richardson however has the potential to wreak havoc as a DT.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Fluker is an immediate starter and a stud run blocker. Richardson however has the potential to wreak havoc as a DT.
Pretty much. I doubt Richardson will even make it to 18. Talented d-linemen don't typically last that long.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That's really not saying much on this team. It will be an adjustment no matter what. Tyron Smith was lost early in his rookie season and improved greatly by the end of the year, but again he was the best OL in his class. Fluker is nowhere near the best OL in his class.

Fluker will be a fine RT, but not only can you build a defensive interior around Richardson, he also gives you pass rushing ability.

But if either start immediately it will only be because the existing starters suck arse (or in Dallas because Jerry Jones said they should start).

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think Richardson or Warmack are my top picks at 18 at this point, but if not, there is nothing wrong with Fluker, is the point. He's value at 18 in any year if he's a Game 1 starter, which he will be, by his own merit. And he'd be a plus run blocker from Game 1 too. If he has to take 8 games to grow as a pass protector thats still a massive upgrade.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think Richardson or Warmack are my top picks at 18 at this point, but if not, there is nothing wrong with Fluker, is the point. He's value at 18 in any year if he's a Game 1 starter, which he will be, by his own merit. And he'd be a plus run blocker from Game 1 too. If he has to take 8 games to grow as a pass protector thats still a massive upgrade.
I agree he'll be a fine player.

I just would like people to keep an open mind without being influenced by glaring needs. It's need that's pushing Fluker up draft boards. His talent is unchanged.

There are other options on the OL the team has to consider even if they draft one. Picture a draft as if the team had already signed Moore and Clabo, for example. Erase our clear desperation at the position and re-evaluate the board.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
1. Warmck
2. Cooper
3. Richardson
4. Fluker

That's the list, I'd be ok with Richardson over Cooper but not Warmack. Unfortunately our pick likely comes down to Vaccaro or Fluker and I think we know which way we'd go with that one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Warmck
2. Cooper
3. Richardson
4. Fluker

That's the list, I'd be ok with Richardson over Cooper but not Warmack. Unfortunately our pick likely comes down to Vaccaro or Fluker and I think we know which way we'd go with that one.
I think I would have Sylvester Williams in that group as well. That dude is a beast in my opinion. A legit 300lb DT that can rush the passer and plug the run. I'd probably rate him above Fluker but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think I would have Sylvester Williams in that group as well. That dude is a beast in my opinion. A legit 300lb DT that can rush the passer and plug the run. I'd probably rate him above Fluker but I don't think you can go wrong with either.
I'd go Fluker over him but I'd probably go Williams over Vaccaro at this point, although I'd prefer to trade down if those 4 I listed above are all off the board.

As an aside, Vaccaro is really a tough situation for me because I know he's worthy of a pick in the area we're picking but I just can't get on board with taking another DB with a 1st rounder when there is so much talent available on the lines.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As an aside, Vaccaro is really a tough situation for me because I know he's worthy of a pick in the area we're picking but I just can't get on board with taking another DB with a 1st rounder when there is so much talent available on the lines.
We have a monster hole at safety as well. Our safety play last year we horrendous and we have added nothing to that department (Other then a career backup). I like Vaccaro as well. I just like some of the other safeties in this draft as well. I'd rather get the stud D-lineman high and fill the safety spot later. I'm not going to be pissed if we draft Vaccaro like some on this board will be, he is a great safety prospect and he fills a huge hole.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I frankly don't really think Vaccaro is that much better than the 2nd round guys.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
We have a monster hole at safety as well. Our safety play last year we horrendous and we have added nothing to that department (Other then a career backup). I like Vaccaro as well. I just like some of the other safeties in this draft as well. I'd rather get the stud D-lineman high and fill the safety spot later. I'm not going to be pissed if we draft Vaccaro like some on this board will be, he is a great safety prospect and he fills a huge hole.
This is my feeling as well. I wouldn't like the pick, especially if some of the others already mentioned are still on the board, but it wouldn't be a total waste either. He is a good player at a spot we've been terrible at for a long time. I wouldn't be overjoyed at the pick, but I'm not slitting my wrists either.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We have a monster hole at safety as well.
Is Vaccaro worthy of being taken in the 1st round even if we didn't have a hole at safety?

My mentality is to look for a steal. It's worth losing a 5th or even a 4th rounder to trade up and get a special player that falls. If a Lotulelei falls, I'd even trade a 3rd.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is Vaccaro worthy of being taken in the 1st round even if we didn't have a hole at safety?
Yes he is. He is a top 20 prospect in this draft regardless of need. I agree about Lotulelei but now that his heart checked out I think he is back in the top 5 picks. I would love to draft him though. I like the idea of a complete and truely dominant DT. Someone that can both destroy the run and rush the passer. Like Kevin Williams was in his prime.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I frankly don't really think Vaccaro is that much better than the 2nd round guys.
I know what you are saying but I honestly don't think Cooper is that much better of a prospect then Warford either. I don't know that Kawann Short is that much worse of a prospect then any of the other DTs.

With that being said I think Eric Reid could step in and start as a rookie and give us just as much production as any of the safeties in this draft.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I know what you are saying but I honestly don't think Cooper is that much better of a prospect then Warford either. I don't know that Kawann Short is that much worse of a prospect then any of the other DTs.

With that being said I think Eric Reid could step in and start as a rookie and give us just as much production as any of the safeties in this draft.
Ehm... I think the difference between Richardson and Short, or the difference between Warmack and Warford, is far greater than the difference between Vaccaro and Elam/Reid.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Somebody help me out with the Richardson love-fest. I am not seeing it. Even in his highlights, he looks decidedly average to me. There are very few d linemen that are impressive (read: solid first round talent). I like Lotulelei and Werner a lot but I honestly don't see any difference between Short and Richardson and if I had to choose between them, would probably pick Short. Not at 18, though.

Top Bottom