Mailbag: Why Has The Draft Emphasis Shifted To Safety?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mailbag: Why Has The Draft Emphasis Shifted To Safety?

Posted 11 hours ago

ERIC MARAS
DALLAS, TX
Why does it seem like expert analysis has suddenly shifted to the thought that the Cowboys should take a safety first round. Are people really forgetting how bad the offensive line was last year?

Rowan: I think cutting Gerald Sensabaugh really shook things up. He would have been penciled in as a starter, and that way the Cowboys would only have needed one of the three other safeties – Barry Church, Matt Johnson or Will Allen – to earn the second spot. Now they need two of those guys to start immediately unless someone’s drafted. I’m with you, though. There’s a reason after almost every game last season the offensive line’s struggles came to the forefront of conversation, and that needs to be addressed.

Nick: It’s probably because if you think about potential starters in Week 1 – I’m sure there would be more concern about Matt Johnson starting than Nate Livings or Mackenzy Bernadeau. So it comes down to the greater need of getting a safety. Still, I’m not saying I disagree with you. I would take an offensive linemen in the first round. I think safety is needed but the right guy. And I don’t think Vaccaro is the right guy.

SERGIO SANTIESTEBAN
LOS ANGELES, CA
Don't you guys think drafting a guy like Tavon Austin could help the OL? He could really open up the playbook (quick passes, handoffs from the backfield, etc) and make the defenses think twice about blitzing.

Rowan:It’s an interesting thought. Quick passes would undoubtedly be utilized more, although they’ve

tried to do that the last few years with Dez Bryant and Miles Austin anyway. It probably could help out on a few more plays, but that won’t change anything regarding run blocking. Having Austin would certainly help out the line. It just doesn’t fix the problem.

Nick: I see your point. But on third-and-2 from the 8, does Austin help you? It goes back to Jerry’s point about having Romo and his ability to move in the pocket makes it easier to have a line that isn’t so great. Well, tell that to DeMarco Murray? He actually needs some help up front. I think Tavon Austin is dynamic and would be a fun player to have on your team – IF – you don’t have other glaring needs.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
This shouldn't even be up for debate. An OL or DL would have a bigger impact on the team than a safety.

Now if Vaccaro were viewed as a clear cut better player than any guard or DL on the board I'd be somewhat okay with it. But if they are rated fairly evenly I think you have to go DL or OL.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I agree. There is no Ed Reed in this draft and very little separates the top 3 or 4 safeties in this class. We have ignored the line for way too many years and to put it on the back burner to draft a safety would make me mad enough to stomp on a litter of puppies.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't even think they are necessarily even. At least not Warmack or Richardson.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm only sold on a few linemen at 18, and talent and fit are critical components. "1st round" talent is usually a list of about 20 guys. This year that list is shorter while the 2nd round talent is a lot bigger.

I want a 1st round talent first and foremost. Meaning for each pick I want the biggest upgrade in talent relative to an average player at the same position. 2nd, we need a fit for the team. A 3-4 OLB or pistol offense QB is not a good fit.

Lotulelei, Floyd, Richardson, Joeckel, Fisher, Warmack, Cooper, Ansah, and Lane Johnson should be gone (though Cooper might fall). Dion Jordan will be gone. Mingo has no motor, but he'll be gone too. From a "fit" perspective Dallas has too much money invested in the CB position to grab either of the top 2-3 corners. Millner, though, is a 1st round talent and if he falls to Dallas they should shop a trade or pick him. Someone is going to get Geno Smith, and if he falls to Dallas then Jerry should definitely engineer a trade.

Fluker has been climbing draft boards and looks like a perfect fit in Dallas. Sly Williams seems to be the best of the remaining DL, and would also be a fit in the new 4-3. But are either more talented than Jarvis Jones, Kenny Vaccaro, Keenan Allen, and Tavon Austin? IOW will Williams or Fluker offer more of an impact over an average lineman than Jones, Vaccaro, and Austin would over an average LB, S, or WR?

Don't compare Fluker to the disaster of a RT position we have in Dallas at the moment, compare him to an average RT.

No one doubts the impact that linemen offer, but the draft is purely about adding talent (and fit). If Austin in particular falls to 18, that would be a very intriguing pick. With him the Cowboy offense can stretch the field. Say they fix their line with free agents to stem the immediate needs up front, Austin could bring an element of electricity the Cowboy offense has lacked since T.O. and Felix Jones' first few games. That is serious impact.

Top Bottom