JJT-Jason Garrett deserves blame for Cowboys' horrendous offense

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Jason Garrett deserves blame for Cowboys' horrendous offense

Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Jason Garrett, hired by the Dallas Cowboys as an innovative offensive mind and play-caller in 2007, coaches the NFL's most pathetic offense.

The San Francisco 49ers have scored fewer points and the Indianapolis Colts have totaled fewer yards, but neither of those bad offenses had three offensive linemen named to the Pro Bowl, tight end Jason Witten for 16 games and Dez Bryant for 10 games when the playoffs were still a possibility.

No offense in the league has done less with more than Garrett’s group. The numbers that matter most to Garrett are worse than pathetic.

The Cowboys have scored just 252 points, 31st in the NFL, and they rank last in the NFL in red zone touchdown percentage (41.4) and pass plays of 20 yards or more (32).

This is the worst offense since Jerry Jones brought in Garrett as offensive coordinator. Garrett had never been in charge of an offense that had scored fewer than 361 points before this season. The past two seasons, the Cowboys scored 439 and 467 points, respectively.

Sure, Scott Linehan calls the plays, but this is Garrett’s offense and he deserves the credit when it works and the blame when it doesn’t. Linehan isn’t doing anything with the offense or play selection that Garrett doesn’t want.

The obvious answer to the issues -- the easy one -- is that Tony Romo has started and finished just two games, and the Cowboys won both of those.

So what?

If Garrett’s offense can’t function without Romo under center, where he excels at consistently getting the offense into the best possible play, then it’s worthless.

Garrett loves to say the Cowboys’ offense is flexible, able to take advantage of any matchup created by a formation. But it’s a timing-based scheme that is based almost entirely on a receiver or running back winning a one-on-one matchup.

That’s great when Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith and Jay Novacek are the epicenter of the offense. And it’s fine when Romo, Bryant, DeMarco Murray and Witten are the central figures in every game plan.

But we’ve seen what happens when the Cowboys don’t have a significant skill advantage at receiver, running back or quarterback: The offense becomes abject.

We’re talking about a unit that has failed to score more than one touchdown in each of the past seven games.

Kellen Moore is the fourth quarterback the Cowboys have used this season, and despite all of the hype surrounding the 6-foot, 200-pound lefty with a storage unit of intangibles, he has been the worst of the bunch through six quarters.

Optimists see glimmers of potential and hope, while realists see a dude with a pop-gun arm who can’t consistently throw the deep outs, which are fundamental to this offense’s success.

He’s probably good enough to be a solid No. 3 quarterback, but he’s probably not good enough to be the backup on a team on which you have to expect a starter such as Romo to miss a few games per season.

The Cowboys are 1-10 when someone other than Romo starts this season. It’s enough to make you wonder about the fate of the franchise when Romo eventually retires.

It’s not like Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel or Moore have showed vast improvement under Garrett, Linehan and quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson.

Each regressed, though Weeden managed to end his 11-game losing streak as a starter Sunday, when he led the Houston Texans to win over the hapless Tennessee Titans. Dallas released Weeden in November and Houston picked him up.

For now, Garrett has no concrete answers for why the Cowboys' offense has been so bad. He blames inconsistent execution and the lack of big plays.

When he sits down with Jerry Jones after this wretched season ends, he needs to have a better answer. Jones has spent too much money and too many draft picks on the offense to have the league’s worst unit.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This season is nothing if not an indictment on how our offense lacks creativity and flexibility, sure, our offense was fantastic last year, and it will likely be very good again next year assuming we are healthy, but it makes you wonder how much untapped potential there is that the coaching staff is leaving on the table.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just absolutely zero ability to adjust without Romo. Hell its not like we just tried to do the same stuff we would with Romo either. Instead we basically tucked ourselves in the fetile position on offense and gave up without Romo.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You draft Goff if you can to help at QB.

But we also need help at WR. Terrance Williams is decent, nothing more.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You draft Goff if you can to help at QB.

But we also need help at WR. Terrance Williams is decent, nothing more.
I'd go with Lynch because of his size and mobility. I think he is a guy who can improvise a little more like Romo.

If the right WR is there I take one. I really like the kid out of Notre Dame if he leaves early. Especially if he was around near our second pick.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I highly doubt Lynch and Goff are both there when we pick so the choice will be made for us, more or less. I still go back and forth over which I like more, but I'd be happy with either at 4.

I'd also be pretty thrilled if we could get Wentz in the 2nd and could use that 1st elsewhere, but that high of a 2nd is basically a late 1st anyway and we should be able to get a pretty prime prospect.

If Lynch and Goff are both gone by 4 it's almost guaranteed that Bosa will be there.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If Lynch and Goff are both gone by 4 it's almost guaranteed that Bosa will be there.
I see it going Bosa-Lynch-Goff with Dallas left picking from the next tier. That's assuming Dallas doesn't beat Washington and both Cleveland and the Chargers lose.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I see it going Bosa-Lynch-Goff with Dallas left picking from the next tier. That's assuming Dallas doesn't beat Washington and both Cleveland and the Chargers lose.
I will be a big Browns and Chargers fan this weekend.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like Wentz and Connor Cook as well. If both play in the Senior Bowl we should find out a bunch more about both guys.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Watching Goff now, he looks really good. Their offensive line is really bad and Air Force likes to bring extra guys. Goff is very cool and calm handling the pressure and getting the ball off.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am leaning more towards Bosa than a QB now with our first rounder.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think Tennessee's first priority will be protecting Mariota, with an LT in Tunsil basically rated right around the same as Bosa, I bet they go LT. The same could be said for San Diego, their OL is horrendous and they should look long and hard at a LT. Further, they're losing Weddle and every safety on their roster currently is undrafted, I'm betting they will look hard at Ramsey too.

The only way Bosa and the 2 QB's are gone is if someone trades up to 1 or 3 and either the Titans or Chargers opt for Bosa over an upgrade at LT. Not impossible, but I think it's less than a 50/50 chance of happening.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Tennessee's first priority will be protecting Mariota, with an LT in Tunsil basically rated right around the same as Bosa, I bet they go LT. The same could be said for San Diego, their OL is horrendous and they should look long and hard at a LT. Further, they're losing Weddle and every safety on their roster currently is undrafted, I'm betting they will look hard at Ramsey too.

The only way Bosa and the 2 QB's are gone is if someone trades up to 1 or 3 and either the Titans or Chargers opt for Bosa over an upgrade at LT. Not impossible, but I think it's less than a 50/50 chance of happening.
I like Lawrence and Gregory at DE next year. I'd love to bring back Hardy as well.

Bosa doesn't really get my panties wet so I'm not all that concerned if he is gone by our pick.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I like Wentz and Connor Cook as well. If both play in the Senior Bowl we should find out a bunch more about both guys.
I liked Cook, and think he can make all the throws. His experience in a pro-style set is a plus, and while Cousins isn't a world-beater, you can win games with a MSU QB.

But I've been reading rumors that he's an insufferable ass, and is not well liked by his teammates. The notion that he, as I think a 3-year starter, was not voted as a team captain seems to back this up.

Now you can be a dick and be successful, but you better be Cam Newton, and I'm not sure Cook quite checks that box.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I liked Cook, and think he can make all the throws. His experience in a pro-style set is a plus, and while Cousins isn't a world-beater, you can win games with a MSU QB.

But I've been reading rumors that he's an insufferable ass, and is not well liked by his teammates. The notion that he, as I think a 3-year starter, was not voted as a team captain seems to back this up.

Now you can be a dick and be successful, but you better be Cam Newton, and I'm not sure Cook quite checks that box.
That's the hard part. I can watch these guys on TV and have my opinion on their playing ability but I have no idea if they are a dick, lazy or a bad teammate. You could be very right about that. I hadn't heard that.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Just absolutely zero ability to adjust without Romo. Hell its not like we just tried to do the same stuff we would with Romo either. Instead we basically tucked ourselves in the fetile position on offense and gave up without Romo.
And really, if you're honest, very limited ability to adjust or make alteration mid game even WITH a healthy Romo. It just
can't flex or give any whatsoever, it seems. Major limitation and flaw of this flavor of the original system. And I put that squarely on Garrett. Its amazing how truly maladaptive Garrett can be.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think Tennessee's first priority will be protecting Mariota, with an LT in Tunsil basically rated right around the same as Bosa, I bet they go LT.
We can hope. The Chargers also going OT would be great, but the opportunity to grab Phillip Rivers' successor IMO will be too tempting. They famously did this when they drafted Rivers in the first place with Brees already on the roster.

Cleveland (barring a Pittsburgh meltdown) will get the best QB, and if SD goes OT that leaves Lynch for Dallas.

I think someone is going to become enamored and trade up before Dallas' pick. I also think Jerry is going to lose his mind trying trade down scenarios.

But these two QB's look like the real deal. We should be thinking about possible trades up.

If we trade up, Romo's days should be numbered. The first sign of injury, he's done as a Cowboy. (tear)

p1_

DCC 4Life
We should be thinking about possible trades up. If we trade up, Romo's days should be numbered.
This is what I think may be the deal. Jerry cant resist the appeal of having the number one overall selection. It will be just like the glory hole days with Jimmy. Question is, what will it take, and then, who will he take? This is like '88 and '89 all over again.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is what I think may be the deal. Jerry cant resist the appeal of having the number one overall selection. It will be just like the glory hole days with Jimmy. Question is, what will it take, and then, who will he take? This is like '88 and '89 all over again.
Goff has to be the target if it's a trade up. I already liked him over Lynch before yesterday's game and now he's a stone cold lock as top QB in the draft. As Simp broke down, Goff and Lynch are hugely better prospects than that f'ed up Locker/Gabbert/Ponder class.

Dallas likely will remain with the 4th overall pick. The top four picks should include Tunsil, Bosa, Goff, and Lynch, and the talent level then drops.

1) Look for Tennessee to trade down from the top pick, essentially shopping Goff. I could see either Cleveland, Dallas, or SF making this deal. Otherwise they should take Tunsil to protect Mariota.

2) Cleveland takes Goff or Lynch in that order.

3) If Lynch is still there, then the Chargers probably take him. They could go Bosa, but it's too tempting to grab Lynch since Rivers is 34 and the whole team needs to be blown up. If both QB's are gone, then Tunsil falls to them as a key building block for the future.

4) That leaves Dallas with Bosa, which is fine. Sure he's a DE, but talent is talent.

Worst case scenario though is the Titans fall in love with and draft Bosa 1st and both QB's go next. Then the Cowboys are left holding their dicks since they are set with Tyron at LT and drafting Tunsil as a RT is overkill (greatest OL in history though).

In this situation I'd like to trade down and take either Treadwell or the RB Elliot. Either should inject some life into this stagnant offense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom