Fisher: Cowboys’ Spencer ‘Bone Bruise’ Could Lead To Serious Injury

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys’ Spencer ‘Bone Bruise’ Could Lead To Serious Injury

July 23, 2013 7:35 AM

Mike Fisher

OXNARD, CA (CBSDFW.COM/105.3 THE FAN) – Anthony Spencer’s “mild’’ knee injury has been diagnosed as a “bone bruise,’’ and the Pro Bowl defensive end has sat out the first two days of Dallas Cowboys training camp. If it seems like the Cowboys are being unusually cautious here, they are – and one of the reasons should be named “Kevin Ware.’’

Ware is the Louisville basketball player who sustained one of the most infamous and gruesome injuries ever captured on live television on May 31 in the NCAA Tournament when he snapped his tibia.

How in the world is this related to Spencer?

A medical source with knowledge of Spencer’s situation (but not affiliated with the Cowboys) tells 105.3 The Fan that the term “bone bruise’’ is a misnomer; it actually means a fracturing of the inner layer of bone. Among the issues: such an ailment weakens the outer layer of the bone, the hardest part, possibly making a serious fracture more likely down the line if it isn’t managed properly.

That may very well be what Spencer is suffering from now.

“It’s concerning to me,’’ Spencer said Monday. “It’s bothering me right now. I really don’t know what else to do. I’m just taking it day-by-day.”

But “day-to-day’’ might not quite be enough. If the Cowboys’ announced diagnosis is correct, at least six weeks of rest could end up being the wisest avenue for Spencer.

The tie to the Louisville basketball player?

It’s barely publicized at all that six weeks before Ware’s horrible compound fracture, on January 21, he sustained another seemingly scary knee injury that was eventually diagnosed as a “bone bruise.’’ Ware played through the injury, and in doing so, may have set himself up for the later broken tibia.

Says our source: “Ware’s knee buckled and there was no shock absorption from his knee. That transmits 1,000 pounds of pressure somewhere else – and that amount of pressure can break a bone.’’

That is the concern with Spencer, which is why there is talk that he’ll start undergoing regular MRI examinations.

“We don’t think it’s a severe thing,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said hopefully. “We’re just trying to come up with what we think is the best option here in the next few days.”

The Cowboys have made noise about Spencer undergoing “minor surgery’’ on his knee that could cause him to miss two to three weeks. But if the bone-bruise diagnosis is correct, it’s not clear what surgery would repair. (It’s possible an MRI showed loose bodies needing to be cleaned up, but that’s no cure for the “bone bruise.’’)

Spencer, who is playing under the franchise tag with a one-year contract for $10.6 million, seems to smartly be opting for patience – the only remedy for the ““bone bruise that is really a fracture.’’

“We’ve got a long time until this first game,” Spencer said. “I’m just going to take my time right now and get right for the season.”
-----------------

Player says he's worried. Team says don't worry about it because the thought is terrifying. Makes sense.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
DE is probably the easiest position to learn in this scheme so Spencer should just take as much time as he needs, or just have the surgery if that will fix it. I wouldn't be too mad if he ended up out for the year though because I kind of want to just watch this team burn and have us get a top 5 pick.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
DE is probably the easiest position to learn in this scheme so Spencer should just take as much time as he needs, or just have the surgery if that will fix it. I wouldn't be too mad if he ended up out for the year though because I kind of want to just watch this team burn and have us get a top 5 pick.
A top five pick wouldn't do us any good. If we lose out, I want a shot at Clowney.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
A top five pick wouldn't do us any good. If we lose out, I want a shot at Clowney.
I'm sure it'd do some good one way or the other. But yea, I'd love Clowney obviously, I doubt he goes 1 though since one of these QB's are bound to have a huge year.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'd rather suck out loud then go 8-8 again.

8-8 is about as close to a wasted season as it gets. There is literally nothing to be gained from an 8-8 season. Your team is average, they don't get into the postseason, and you end up in that late teens range in the draft, and it's not bad enough to really force any type of real change in the organization.

It's a lose/lose all around. If the Cowboys are gonna fail to make the playoffs again (and they will fail), then at least do so to the tune of a miserable season.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd rather suck out loud then go 8-8 again.

8-8 is about as close to a wasted season as it gets. There is literally nothing to be gained from an 8-8 season. Your team is average, they don't get into the postseason, and you end up in that late teens range in the draft, and it's not bad enough to really force any type of real change in the organization.

It's a lose/lose all around. If the Cowboys are gonna fail to make the playoffs again (and they will fail), then at least do so to the tune of a miserable season.
8-8 is what enables a bad owner/GM to think he's just a couple of breaks away from the postseason where "anything can happen".

Jones is in the same purgatory Daniel Snyder was in until they bottomed out, got the fanbase pissed and made him go out and hire a GM and real head coach.

I doubt however, that will ever happen, regardless of how bad we get.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Sounds like all he needs is a little rest. I'm guessing the target will be the third preseason game against AZ.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
8-8 is what enables a bad owner/GM to think he's just a couple of breaks away from the postseason where "anything can happen".

Jones is in the same purgatory Daniel Snyder was in until they bottomed out, got the fanbase pissed and made him go out and hire a GM and real head coach.

I doubt however, that will ever happen, regardless of how bad we get.
I think that if the fans began to turn on him in the stadium as Redskins fans did on Snyder, then I think we'd have a chance to get a real coach again.

While the media talking about him only seems to fuel him more, it was fan criticism that led him to hire Parcells and he said as much during his drunken rant that was caught on that camera phone. In 2009, Redskins fans had signs all over FedEx by the end of the season and boo'd Snyder at every chance.

The problem is that our fanbase is much bigger and are too stupid to ever do anything like that. I think the fans in Dallas would do it, but the team just draws in way too many other fans from around the country that are going to cheer for Jones as loud as they can.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sounds like all he needs is a little rest. I'm guessing the target will be the third preseason game against AZ.
He needs to play by that point so we can address the problem if it still exists. Otherwise, Kyle Wilbur is your starting LDE boys and girls.

I have a feeling this one becomes a bigger story as it goes along, especially if Spencer starts getting concerned about his future playing prospects. I wonder if he decides to take it easy considering he is in a contract year and if he screws himself up this year, he misses any chance at a long term contract next offseason.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
We would just hear some dumbass statement like "We're not sure if Clowney fits what we do here. We feel really good about the young guys we already have. Our new 13 personnel 3 TE offense should score enough points we won't have to worry about defense too much."

Jiggyfly

Banned
We would just hear some dumbass statement like "We're not sure if Clowney fits what we do here. We feel really good about the young guys we already have. Our new 13 personnel 3 TE offense should score enough points we won't have to worry about defense too much."
Come on now your starting to be "That guy".

Top Bottom