Broaddus: Cutting FB Won’t Affect Murray; Might Help Him

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Broaddus: Cutting FB Won’t Affect Murray; Might Help Him

Posted 3 hours ago

Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout

It was very clear that the direction that this Cowboys offense was going in this off-season with the drafting of Gavin Escobar and the signing of Anthony Rosario. It was setting up to use more “12” personnel along with Jason Witten and James Hanna. So the releasing of fullback Lawrence Vickers today, was not a surprising move at all.

In watching OTA and mini-camp practices, Bill Callahan was taking plenty of reps to run plays where the offense went without a full back or when they needed one, it was Rosario lining up in an offset formation and filling in that role. It was more single back, zone runs. What I really like about this zone scheme, that Callahan is working with for this offense that it will play to the true strengths of DeMarco Murray.

Of the several impressive traits that Murray shows the one that folks do not give him enough credit for is his vision. Murray might not be the most explosive back to and through the hole but where he makes up for this is his ability to see the hole and make the cut. Good zone scheme runners have to have that ability. They have to be able to see where they need to take the ball and then adjust from there. Murray can do that. He uses a combination of vision and patience when he is carrying the ball.

I have always liked DeMarco Murray as a one back runner even when he had some success with Tony Fiammetta in 2011 but there were times last season when he did play with a full back in front of him and it led to hesitation because he wasn’t sure what that player was going to do. That was both Vickers and John Phillips. Murray was never on the same page with Vickers and in just watching the two play together it was like putting the round peg in the square hole. Murray spent more time waiting for Vickers or Phillips to do something in front of him than just attacking the line.

The releasing of Lawrence Vickers in my view is really not that big of a deal because of the direction in which the offense was going under Callahan, it doesn’t need a full back. Look for DeMarco Murray to be a much more productive runner without someone holding him up.
-----------------

Jesus, what a shill this guy has become.

Murray has his best games as a pro behind a fullback, but suddenly it gets morphed into the fact the fullback was holding him up. Never a mention of the fact that maybe the guy we gave a 2 year $2 million dollar contract to last offseason just sucked.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I was gonna say, didn't we hear last offseason that Murray would be so much better now that he had a lead FB he could run behind?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There will be literally no change in production for Murray without better guard and RT play. Good thing we had an entire offseason to improve all three of those positions.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Murray averaged 4.1 ypc. his overall production isn't as much of a concern as his health and the team's depth at RB.

Top Bottom