DC.COM: Mammoth Tackle Fluker Could Anchor Right Side

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Draft Focus: Mammoth Tackle Fluker Could Anchor Right Side
Posted 1 hour ago

David Helman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

(Editor’s Note: Heading into the upcoming NFL Draft, held April 25-27, DallasCowboys.com will take a closer look at the prospects, including some that could be potential fits with the Cowboys. Today’s featured player is Alabama offensive tackle D.J. Fluker.)

Name: D.J. Fluker
Position: Offensive tackle
College: Alabama
Height/Weight: 6-5/334

Honors: Fluker was named first-team All-SEC by league coaches as well as second-team All-America by the Associated Press and the Walter Camp Football Foundation. He started 35 games for Alabama during a three-year career, including at right tackle for the Crimson Tide’s 2011 and 2012 national championship squads.

Key Stat: If keeping Tony Romo on his feet and in the pocket is a concern, Fluker should be able to help. He only allowed four sacks in Alabama’s 267 pass attempts through 14 games last season.

Where He’s Headed: Along with quarterback and defensive end, offensive tackle is one of the Big Three positions you always hear about being so crucial on draft day. Fortunately for Dallas’ prospects of landing Fluker, the Bama big man doesn’t project to go as early as Texas A&M’s Luke Joeckel, Central Michigan’s Eric Fisher or Oklahoma’s Lane Johnson. That said, there always seems to be a run on certain positions, and if that happens at tackle there’s no telling how quickly Fluker could be gone.

How He Helps the Cowboys: Any help the Cowboys can get along the offensive line would be a good thing. Fluker’s proficiency as a right tackle could come in handy, as that’s where Doug Free struggled last season. A combo of Tyron Smith and Fluker could benefit the Cowboys for years to come.

Scout’s Take: Keeps his head back in his set. … Has some pop in his punch but there are times where he is more placement than punch. … Does a decent job of adjusting up the field. … For his size, you do see some lightness of his feet. … Works to stay in front of his man and works hard to get outside. … Can wall off on the down block, make the inside cutoff and can get movement in the running game at the point of attack. … Able to adjust to spin move. … Makes the effort to get down field to block. … Stays on his feet, was rare to see him on the ground. … Can push rushers up the field. … Got some nice push in the Georgia game working on the double team and was able to handle Alec Ogletree and Jarvis Jones off the corner. … Stays on his block. … Can handle the inside pressure. … Able to adjust on the second level. … Reminds me of Flozell Adams physically, but with the nastiness of Erik Williams. He’s not the athlete of Adams, but was able to handle some of the better edge rushers in the SEC. … In visiting with Alabama coaches at their Pro Day, they wouldn’t play him at guard to start his career. They said let him learn how to play tackle first and you would have a better player.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Dear Jesus please let us get some OL players.

Cowboysrule122

Brand New Member
I'm all for Warmack/Cooper but if both are gone by 18 and Fluker's available, I'm all for it.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
There's a definite drop off from Warmack/Cooper to Fluker. But looking at most mocks, if Warmack/Cooper are gone (which is likely) then Fluker probably makes sense unless someone falls to us. We seem to be drafting at a spot where there is no real consensus pick for us. Guys we're eyeing, like Warmack, Cooper and Sheldon Richardson are projected by most to go ahead of us.
We either have to hope one of them falls to us or else we're left scrambling for someone in the next tier like Vaccaro, Werner, Fluker, Sylvester Williams, etc.

If it comes down to the latter then I'd just as soon go with Fluker or Werner over another first round DB or a mid 20s pick like S Williams.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feh. That Romo is so slippery back there it doesn't matter who is blocking for him. Give me more skill position and secondary players.
I don't know why everyone pisses and moans about pass protection when it comes to the O-line. The real problem is our inability to run block. We were the worst in the NFL in that department last year. We were far closer to middle of the pack in terms of pass protection. 3.6 yards per rushing attempt, 8 total rushing TDs, and a total of 1265 rushing yards on the season all rank us right at the bottom of the NFL. The only team arguably worse was the Cardinals.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Corners!! We need corners!!!

WHHHOOOOOSSSS WIIITHHHH MEEEEEEEEEE

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
~stares at Unc~

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't know why everyone pisses and moans about pass protection when it comes to the O-line. The real problem is our inability to run block. We were the worst in the NFL in that department last year. We were far closer to middle of the pack in terms of pass protection. 3.6 yards per rushing attempt, 8 total rushing TDs, and a total of 1265 rushing yards on the season all rank us right at the bottom of the NFL. The only team arguably worse was the Cardinals.
Oh, we were only middle of the pack in pass protection, yeah, I don't see why that's an issue.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, we were only middle of the pack in pass protection, yeah, I don't see why that's an issue.
An issue? Of course it is. Primary concern? Not at all.

I'm just not sure why everyone when they talk about addressing the O-line brings up pass protection and Romo and totally ignores the greatest glaring weakness with the Offensive line.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
An issue? Of course it is. Primary concern? Not at all.

I'm just not sure why everyone when they talk about addressing the O-line brings up pass protection and Romo and totally ignores the greatest glaring weakness with the Offensive line.
I'm not sure "everyone" is just bringing up pass protection as the reason the OL needs to be upgraded. It's been plain as day for a quite a while now that the running game is a big problem for the Cowboys. It's an even bigger issue than the pass protection but upgrades on the OL are necessary because both areas need improvement if this team is going to make the playoffs and advance.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not sure "everyone" is just bringing up pass protection as the reason the OL needs to be upgraded. It's been plain as day for a quite a while now that the running game is a big problem for the Cowboys. It's an even bigger issue than the pass protection but upgrades on the OL are necessary because both areas need improvement if this team is going to make the playoffs and advance.
Yeah, I've only been saying for years now that run blocking is the #1 problem with our offense and that if we fixed that, a bunch of other problems would go away.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Wait - Fluker "only" gave up 4 sacks in 267 pass attempts last year? Am I wrong to not be overly impressed with that?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It makes sense, but only if he's the best available at that pick. Can't afford to lose better talent at another position if it falls.

Yeah, I've only been saying for years now that run blocking is the #1 problem with our offense and that if we fixed that, a bunch of other problems would go away.
And a dynamic running back capable of playing a full season would be nice.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The majority of people that bring up the issue of needing O-lineman this off season immediately talk about Romo or getting Romo killed. A far better argument is the 31st or so running game we sported last year. Literally the only team arguably worse was the Cardinals.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The majority of people that bring up the issue of needing O-lineman this off season immediately talk about Romo or getting Romo killed. A far better argument is the 31st or so running game we sported last year. Literally the only team arguably worse was the Cardinals.
I agree that run blocking is a greater concern, but the bigger need is upgrading the interior IMO.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
All the run blocking in the world can't get the Cowboys a legit running game with Jason Garrett at the helm.

Top Bottom