6th Round Pick #191 Xavier Woods

BipolarFuk

Demoted
DRAFT ANALYSIS:
Woods was rumored to be a Cowboys favorite during the predraft process. Marinelli can plug him into various spots in his defensive backfield and he'll love how he effects the ball as a hitter (6 career FF), and in coverage (14 career INTs).

I hate to do this, but this kid reminds me of Ed Reed. :outtahere

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Not long after the Cowboys saw one of their top players get picked right before them, they were able to do the same to the Panthers in the sixth round.

Jerry Jones and his crew picked the exact right spot to trade into the sixth round to get Woods.

“We were told a little bit later that the very next team was going to take him,” Jones said, referring to Carolina. “We called (the Jets) when they were on the clock and made that deal. It worked out well.”

The Cowboys traded next year’s fifth-round pick to land the sixth to get Woods.

Back in the fourth, the Cowboys had a tough debate going on in the War Room between Donnell Pumphrey and Ryan Switzer. But when the Eagles traded up to get Pumphrey, Jones said it was more relief than frustration.

“It was like they made our decision for us,” Jones said. “We had a good debate there. So they helped us out. We really liked both players.”

-Nick Eatman

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Love the pick. Loved it even more that it was in the 6th round.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I must admit that is one of the best highlight reels I've seen.

Stars

DCC 4Life
Dudes around the ball more than most offensive players... sweet highlight vid.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This guy's legit, if the coaches can crack the whip on him and get him to play with more discipline he could be a big-time playmaker. He lays the wood on receivers over the middle, he aggressively supports the run and he has ball skills.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I don't get why this guy lasted so late in the draft? Small college? Surely the 1-2 inches and 15 lbs below ideal ideal for a safety can't be that big a deal.

townsend

Banned
I'm excited to see this defense. This draft plus Jaylon Smith and Tapper may be exactly as transformative as Dak and Zeke were to the offense.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I'm excited to see this defense. This draft plus Jaylon Smith and Tapper may be exactly as transformative as Dak and Zeke were to the offense.
I still can't get overly excited about Smith or Tapper yet.. Will have to see what happens when they actually suit up.

midswat

... soon
Not long after the Cowboys saw one of their top players get picked right before them
Who was that?

Re: Woods.... For no other reason than I've been disgusted with our safety play the last ten years, he is the first prospect we've drafted that I have legit hope for and I am rooting for him probably more than everyone else.

I will say he need to work on his tackling though. He goes for the shoulder lean too much instead of wrapping up. Might work in college but doubt it will against who he will face in the league.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Who was that?

Re: Woods.... For no other reason than I've been disgusted with our safety play the last ten years, he is the first prospect we've drafted that I have legit hope for and I am rooting for him probably more than everyone else.

I will say he need to work on his tackling though. He goes for the shoulder lean too much instead of wrapping up. Might work in college but doubt it will against who he will face in the league.
It was Pumphrey before Switzer.

D

Deuce

Honestly, he kind of reminds me of JJ Wilcox with all the woo hits, but he has the added layer of range and coverage. It will be a nice change on the bad end.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. That's who I thought it was but I wasn't sure it was ever confirmed that Pumphrey was our target.
The sad thing is even I saw it from a mile away. Before the round even started I was afraid our target was Pumphrey.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Honestly, he kind of reminds me of JJ Wilcox with all the woo hits, but he has the added layer of range and coverage. It will be a nice change on the bad end.
Supposedly he's great in coverage. I think the only issues with his hits are he doesn't always wrap and take the guy down.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The sad thing is even I saw it from a mile away. Before the round even started I was afraid our target was Pumphrey.
They are amazingly transparent sometimes. This time it may have saved us from ourselves.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Best pick we made...quite frankly there are not any picks i don't like...Carrell might be a wasted pick, but they clearly did not think they could get him as an UDFA so they picked him hoping to get him to the PS.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Top Bottom