A Mexican-American boy sang the National Anthem, and racist NBA fans can't handle it

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
A Mexican-American boy sang the National Anthem, and racist NBA fans can't handle it

By Chase Hoffberger on June 12, 2013

Last night's NBA Finals game had all the intrigue of a spoiled CBS drama. The San Antonio Spurs got ahead early, Miami tied it up around the half, and then the Spurs came out in the second to whip LeBron James and company into a furrowed frenzy. By the time I left the arena, with six minutes remaining, the Spurs were up 30—and climbing. Final score: Spurs 113, Heat 77.

Outside of excited tweets about #GaryNeal! and #DannyGreeeeeeen, the Internet didn't have much to talk about Tuesday. Heat superstar James was pedestrian, the Spurs went about their business, and that fight between the Dodgers and Diamondbacks looked more like an even competition.

There was, however, the curious case of singer Sebastien De La Cruz, and the racist tweets that accompanied his presence.

Hailed as "The Boy With the Golden Voice" after his preliminary performances on NBC's America's Got Talent, 10-year-old De La Cruz was the San Antonian selected to sing the National Anthem last night. The kid was fantastic. A few minutes before tipoff, he walked out onto the court in full mariachi get-up and sang "The Star-Spangled Banner" with so much strength that you could fully believe in the American dream. The kid was dynamic. He was theatrical as it gets. He hit all the high notes. He stayed long on the low notes.

The problem was that people on Twitter couldn't focus on anything except his heritage.

Twitter erupted in racism last night, letting the Mexican-American De La Cruz know full well that he wasn't welcome to sing the National Anthem at such a prestigious sporting event.

The site's output was vile. It was disgusting. It had all the makings of the worst of the worst on the Internet. Here's a smattered sample.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Sad times.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So why the mariachi get up?

If he came on wearing full Rex Kwon Do attire nobody gives a shit.

Cotton

Staff member
It's sick is what it is. I got physically angry when I heard about this. How ignorant can people possibly be? He's an American is why he is singing the national anthem, you lowlife jackasses. Shit like this really pisses me off more than it should. But, I'm sitting here steaming about this, and I really should just shake my head and move on with my day.

Cotton

Staff member
So why the mariachi get up?

If he came on wearing full Rex Kwon Do attire nobody gives a shit.
You figure if a black woman got up in African duds and sang it you would have these kind of posts on twitter?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You figure if a black woman got up in African duds and sang it you would have these kind of posts on twitter?
Of course not. There is a double standard for black people...which is funny seeing some of them were tweeting this.

At any rate this isn't unexpected given the attire. Can't say I am shocked.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I like how that dumbass with the last name Trevino is making fun of a Mexican and talking about "our" national anthem.

That moron is no different than the kid who sang the anthem - their both American born with hispanic parents.

Cotton

Staff member
Of course not. There is a double standard for black people...which is funny seeing some of them were tweeting this.

At any rate this isn't unexpected given the attire. Can't say I am shocked.
It may not be shocking, but it pisses me off, nonetheless. Is that okay with you, Mr. boozeman? HUH?!?!

(too much?)

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Twitter post from Benny James Trevino is misinterpreted I think. He looks of some kind of Latin heritage and it looks like he is givng it props. Only in San Antonio with a smiley face.

As an aside...Twitter has all kinds of stupid shit on it, to cherry pick this instance is just looking to stir things up. Twitter is filled with hate.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
:lol

And you have someone who uses words like "dat" and sangin" making fun of a kid.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The Twitter post from Benny James Trevino is misinterpreted I think. He looks of some kind of Latin heritage and it looks like he is givng it props. Only in San Antonio with a smiley face.

As an aside...Twitter has all kinds of stupid shit on it, to cherry pick this instance is just looking to stir things up. Twitter is filled with hate.
Ah, I guess I read it the wrong way.

Props to the Lizzy chick on her reply, btw.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Some Random guy is not really saying anything negative either.

Carp

DCC 4Life
As an aside...people call the little white girl who sings the national anthem at Heat games a diva and that she over sings it and whatnot.

I'm outraged.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
San Antonio is clearly a beaner city.

Gary Indiana would have a black dude probably.

Tennessee would have a cracker country singer.

Makes sense to me.

Top Bottom