Cowboys' Garrett takes coaching honor

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

AFP

Jan 19, 2017 3:45 PM

Los Angeles (AFP) - Jason Garrett, who guided a young Dallas Cowboys team to the best regular-season record in the NFL, was named coach of the year by the Professional Football Writers of America on Thursday.

The coach of the year honor was a first for Garrett and the third for the Cowboys, whose legendary coach Tom Landry was the PFWA's first honoree in 1966.

Garrett's Cowboys overcame the pre-season loss to injury of veteran quarterback Tony Romo, with rookie quarterback Dak Prescott and first-year running back Ezekiel Elliott propelling the club to a franchise-best 11 straight wins in the regular season.

The Cowboys won the NFC East division and were top seeds in the conference, but were ousted from the playoffs by the Green Bay Packers.

The PFWA named Oakland general manager Reggie McKenzie, who guided the Raiders back to the playoffs for the first time since 2002, top executive of 2016.

Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan was named the assistant coach of the year by the media panel.

Shanahan is widely expected to be tapped as the new head coach of the San Francisco 49ers, although he can't formally agree a deal with them until the Falcons' playoff run is over. They take on Green Bay in the NFC title game on Sunday, with a Super Bowl berth on the line.

townsend

Banned

AFP

Jan 19, 2017 3:45 PM

Los Angeles (AFP) - Jason Garrett, who guided a young Dallas Cowboys team to the best regular-season record in the NFL, was named coach of the year by the Professional Football Writers of America on Thursday.

The coach of the year honor was a first for Garrett and the third for the Cowboys, whose legendary coach Tom Landry was the PFWA's first honoree in 1966.

Garrett's Cowboys overcame the pre-season loss to injury of veteran quarterback Tony Romo, with rookie quarterback Dak Prescott and first-year running back Ezekiel Elliott propelling the club to a franchise-best 11 straight wins in the regular season.

The Cowboys won the NFC East division and were top seeds in the conference, but were ousted from the playoffs by the Green Bay Packers.

The PFWA named Oakland general manager Reggie McKenzie, who guided the Raiders back to the playoffs for the first time since 2002, top executive of 2016.

Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan was named the assistant coach of the year by the media panel.

Shanahan is widely expected to be tapped as the new head coach of the San Francisco 49ers, although he can't formally agree a deal with them until the Falcons' playoff run is over. They take on Green Bay in the NFC title game on Sunday, with a Super Bowl berth on the line.
This makes sense, the award was supposed to go to Belichick. This has all been a misunderstanding.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Voters just look at this for this award: 4-12 13-3

You honestly think Garrett's bullshit coaching had anything to do with that turn around?

A fucking gift from the football gods in Dak Prescott was the biggest reason for the turnaround.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

You honestly think Garrett's bullshit coaching had anything to do with that turn around?

A fucking gift from the football gods in Dak Prescott was the biggest reason for the turnaround.
Prescott had to get some input from someone.. You don't just dance in from the college ranks and become proficient without guidance. Just learning the systems and playbook is a pretty good task notwithstanding applying it on the field.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Elliott just as much, if not more.

Cujo

DCC 4Life

If he's going to take shit for all the bad, he ought to get credit for the good as well.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Illustrated further, over the past 3 seasons when either Romo or Prescott has started we are 28-7.

Garrett is doing something right.

That also corresponds to Linehan's hiring so there's that.

We are also 1-2 in the playoffs in that time. That's a pretty stark contrast.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Illustrated further, over the past 3 seasons when either Romo or Prescott has started we are 28-7.

Garrett is doing something right.

That also corresponds to Linehan's hiring so there's that.

We are also 1-2 in the playoffs in that time. That's a pretty stark contrast.
The formula to run to protect a bad defense worked to the tune of that record. Once the playoffs hit, same as 2014.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
The formula to run to protect a bad defense worked to the tune of that record. Once the playoffs hit, same as 2014.
Agreed, much like the way we used to look at the OL, we've ignored the DL for far too long. Drafting and ok Lawrence and a risk in Gregory was not enough. We need to go out and invest premium resources along the line

dallen

Senior Tech
Since this is a regular season award it is hard for me to argue Garrett didn't deserve it. If he hadn't won I wouldn't give a shit, but anytime a team goes 13-3 with a backup rookie QB the coach is going to get some votes. In all fairness there were times this season when I was impressed, prior to the playoffs of course.

dallen

Senior Tech
Agreed, much like the way we used to look at the OL, we've ignored the DL for far too long. Drafting and ok Lawrence and a risk in Gregory was not enough. We need to go out and invest premium resources along the line
Post more, seriously

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Fuck Garrett.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Fuck Garrett.

It's not happening as quickly as we like, but it's pretty obvious that he's got a core of guys who believe in him.

And now any players coming in are going to be following these young guys' lead.

It's tough not to be excited about the future of this team and whether you like it or not, Garrett's got a lot to do with that. No doubt he needs to grasp control of pressure situations, but he's done a great job of building a team who cares about one another.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It's not happening as quickly as we like, but it's pretty obvious that he's got a core of guys who believe in him.

And now any players coming in are going to be following these young guys' lead.

It's tough not to be excited about the future of this team and whether you like it or not, Garrett's got a lot to do with that. No doubt he needs to grasp control of pressure situations, but he's done a great job of building a team who cares about one another.
I do not give one shit. Until he can actually manage a game, he is shit to me. You can add up all of his player relation skills and it still will mean jack nor shit if he fucks us over time after time in the most crucial of moments.

Not lashing out at you, just fuck him is all.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I do not give one shit. Until he can actually manage a game, he is shit to me. You can add up all of his player relation skills and it still will mean jack nor shit if he fucks us over time after time in the most crucial of moments.

Exactly.

I spoke to my dad yesterday and talked about that awful game for the first time outside of the DCC.

He brought up something I told him way back in 2013 when I was at my lowest point with this team. When he jokingly asked me if I would get back into things if the Cowboys built a real SB contender, I told him that I would always be cautiously optimistic because even if they put together the personnel to make a run, the coaching would screw them along the way.

Well, he remembered that and said I was right.

My point is, like you, I don't trust this coaching one bit and there's no reason to think it's going to get any better when this guy is still making the same mistakes he was making in 2011.

We're going to be good for a long time. We have some real talent and a QB that has it all. But when it comes to Janaury, I'm always going to believe that this staff led by Garrett is going to F it up.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Participation trophy.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Since this is a regular season award it is hard for me to argue Garrett didn't deserve it. If he hadn't won I wouldn't give a shit, but anytime a team goes 13-3 with a backup rookie QB the coach is going to get some votes. In all fairness there were times this season when I was impressed, prior to the playoffs of course.
He got major props from me for the fake punt in the Philly game. That totally turned that game and I never thought he would ever do something like that.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He got major props from me for the fake punt in the Philly game. That totally turned that game and I never thought he would ever do something like that.
He's gotten much better at being aggressive, but in crunch time, his brain freezes up.

He still has no feel for situational football and then there's that ongoing dilemma with getting too cute and not running the ball enough.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

You are not a nice person.

Top Bottom