Archer: OTAs could mark Doug Free deadline

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=3]OTAs could mark Doug Free deadline[/h]May, 15, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

GRAPEVINE, Texas – While the Cowboys claim there is no hard and fast deadline surrounding the talks on a pay cut with right tackle Doug Free, the team has to take into account the possibility of injury as the organized team activities start next week.

While the practices are non-contact it marks the first time in the offseason in which the offense and defense go against each other on the field. San Diego linebacker Melvin Ingram suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in Tuesday’s practice and could miss the season.

Before a rule change, teams would keep players they intended to cut on June 1 away from the offseason program to avoid injury, but teams can now designate two players as post-June 1 cuts prior to the date. If Free were to suffer an injury working out or in practice, the Cowboys would be on the hook for his $7 million base salary.

“I think we’re on the same page with (Free’s agent Jimmy Sexton) and Doug as far as the timing,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said.

Jones said there was nothing new to report regarding the talks with Sexton. Free is set to count $10.02 million against the cap and a new deal would create potentially as much as $6 million in cap room. The Cowboys could use the extra space to sign linebacker Sean Lee to a new deal. Lee is set to become an unrestricted free agent after this season.
------------

:lol

Deadline.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yep give his money to Mr. Glass.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You seriously have a problem extending Sean Lee?
White Negro is dynamic and one of my favorite players, but I would see if he can make it through at least half the season before signing him to some megadeal. I would go with Dez Bryant first.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
White Negro is dynamic and one of my favorite players, but I would see if he can make it through at least half the season before signing him to some megadeal. I would go with Dez Bryant first.
Right. What's the hurry to re-sign him? Make him earn it, both he and Dez. It's too bad they only signed him to a four year deal.

As for Free's "deadline", lol. He's getting his full salary minus a token paycut that can be earned back with incentives-- if anything at all. Jerry will say he likes Free's "progress" during OTA's and will choose to keep the status quo, banking on continuity and Callahan's brilliant OL coaching for improvement by doing nothing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

This is how you play hardball, folks.

I sure hope the other 31 GMs are taking notes.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Cargo shorts, penny loafers and white crew socks. Wow.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right. What's the hurry to re-sign him?
If you sign him long term now it should be at a discounted rate. The idea is to sign him now before he has a monster season and makes the probowl and can ask for twice as much money. Of course if we give him a premium contract right now it wouldn't make any sense.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Cargo shorts, penny loafers and white crew socks. Wow.
Looks like golf shoes to me...which makes it even worse. They have been playing golf together.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
What's more gay? What they're wearing, or actually caring what some guy is wearing?

junk

Not So New Member
Jerry is probably trying to explain to Doug what a renegotiated, reduced contract is. Doug probably literally has no clue since Dallas never does it. He keeps asking what kind of bonus he is going to get to restructure.

I'm guessing $3 million or so.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
Free looks like he should be in a sports bar watching football-- not playing it for a living.

Top Bottom