Sean Lee: I’d rather play fewer years than “go soft”

Carp

DCC 4Life
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 15, 2013, 7:46 AM EDT

Now would probably be a good time to ask Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee where he comes down on the whole “chicken vs. egg” debate.

After missing 10 games last year with torn toe ligaments, tearing an ACL in college, and dealing with less serious wrist and leg injuries throughout his career (he hasn’t played 16 games in a season yet), Lee said he doesn’t plan to change the way he approaches the game.

“I’m going to try to play a certain way, play hard,” Lee told 1310 The Ticket, via the Dallas Morning News. “I don’t think I would be successful if I didn’t play that way. I’d rather cut a few years off my career and play the right way than go soft and not play right.

“If injuries come, they come. But I’m going to sell out on the field and try to sell out every game. I think that’s the only way we really can win, if everybody does that.”

There’s a fine line between playing with reckless abandon and playing recklessly, one that Lee seems unaware of, or willing to ignore. Being constantly conscious of injuries isn’t necessarily helpful, but the macho equating of self-preservation with being “soft” probably doesn’t help keep him well, either.

Lee said he’s “pretty much 100 percent,” healthy now, and he needs to be, as he’s one of the key parts of the Cowboys’ transition to Monte Kiffin’s 4-3 defense.

Assuming, of course, he’s on the field.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This guy needs a powerful line to protect him. It's the only way he'll last.

D

Deuce

This could be good for us in the long run. He goes balls out, obviously will get hurt every year cause he doesn't want to seem soft and then he'll be forced to retire before we have to give him a big 2nd contract.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't want any players holding back worried about injuries. So Lee is saying exactly what I want him to say. Hopefully he finds a way to stay healthy soon because he is one of the best LBers in the NFL when healthy.

Carp

DCC 4Life
You have to play smart though...not saying business decisions, but you can make alot of the same plays without throwing your body into havoc.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Lee's body can't cash the checks his football instincts write. Knee, wrist, toe- he's exhausted and out of position or over-extended. Some of it is conditioning some is just genetics, but a lot can be controlled by limiting his exposure and protecting him with good defensive linemen.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
This could be good for us in the long run. He goes balls out, obviously will get hurt every year cause he doesn't want to seem soft and then he'll be forced to retire before we have to give him a big 2nd contract.
Everything I've read indicates he's getting his big second contract this summer.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Better hurry because that's after this season.

Top Bottom