Archer - Five Wonders: Never land at No. 16

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Five Wonders: Never land at No. 16

May, 6, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- With the draft finally within site, unless there is some sort of rain delay, it’s time for Five Wonders to return.

We’ll keep them focused on the draft.

** I wonder if the Cowboys are in never-never land with the 16th pick when it comes to first-round defensive linemen. That’s what an 8-8 finish will do for you. You’re stuck right in the middle and have to do too much to move up significantly and won’t get enough (some of the time) to move down big either. After Jadeveon Clowney and Khalil Mack, there is a drop-off on right defensive ends. Anthony Barr is a project and somebody I believe the Cowboys would pick at No. 16. Will he be there at No. 16? The rest of the options available, like a Kony Ealy, Scott Crichton, Kareem Martin or Demarcus Lawrence look more like second-round picks. That’s why I think if the Cowboys move up it’s only a couple of spots for a specific player. The more likely option is to move back where they’d have better choices at the right value. Now if only some team would be willing to move up.

** I wonder what the reaction of people who live in the best-player-available world would be if the Cowboys took North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron in the first round. If Ebron is there at No. 16 and is the best player, then the Cowboys must take him, right? If you live in the best-player-available world in which there is no gray area, then Ebron is your guy. Hooray. But after taking Gavin Escobar in the second round last year and seeing Jason Witten make another Pro Bowl in 2013, do the Cowboys need a first-round tight end? You might hate the word “need” but I don’t. Need has become the four-letter word in draft circles. If they take Ebron, they are saying the Escobar pick was a mistake and Witten is on his final legs. Ebron is a terrific talent, but the Cowboys can’t pick him. I do think, however, the Cowboys would take a tight end (more of a blocker than receiver) later on in the draft.

** I wonder how much scheme versatility will factor into the Cowboys’ decision making Thursday-Saturday. The elephant in the room is that Jason Garrett must win now. He is in the final year of his contract. If he doesn’t win, then Jerry Jones doesn’t have to fire him. He just needs to pick a new coach. But let’s say Jerry falls in love with a coach who has a 3-4 background or an offensive coach who wants to bring in a 3-4 coordinator. Can the Cowboys make the switch again? They felt they had the tools to move from a 3-4 to a 4-3 somewhat seamlessly and we saw how that worked in 2013. If the Cowboys picked Aaron Donald in the first round, then would he fit in a 3-4 scheme next year? He doesn’t look like a 3-4 player. It is a fatalistic view to have going into a draft, but the Cowboys could find some defensive prospects that offer versatility in a 3-4 or 4-3, like Barr, Ealy, Lawrence and possibly Ryan Shazier.

**I wonder if third round is the area in which the Cowboys target an offensive lineman. Of the linemen not named Zack Martin who visited Valley Ranch before the draft, almost all of them are in that Rounds 3-4 neighborhood like Gabe Jackson, Trai Turner, Jack Mewhort and Billy Turner. To be clear, in just about every mock I’ve been asked to participate in, I have the Cowboys taking Martin at No. 16. If they go offense there, I think they need (there’s that word again) to go defense with the second- and third-round picks, provided the grades match up. I’m breaking all ties in the defense’s favor. I’ll add this note: The last middle-round (Rounds 3-5) offensive lineman to pan out for the Cowboys was Doug Free (fourth round) back in 2007. And it took him well into his third season to get on the field. Since then the Cowboys have missed on Robert Brewster (third, 2009) and David Arkin (fourth, 2011). I’ll give them partial credit for Sam Young (sixth, 2010) since he’s still in the league. Their best middle-round offensive lineman in the last 10 years has been Stephen Peterman (third, 2004) and his playing time came with the Detroit Lions after he was cut.

**I wonder if the extra time in the draft has led teams to overanalyze things. The New Orleans Saints attempted to bust up the boredom by spending some time in Las Vegas. Some other teams took a week’s break earlier in the process. The Cowboys altered their schedule some but not that much. Too often we hear teams talk about the importance of watching the players play and not putting as much stock into the combine or pro days. And every year there are guys that come out of nowhere, like Pitt quarterback Tom Savage, and small-school gems, like Pierre Desir. Maybe they will be great finds. Who knows really? The extra time served up plenty of interest, which the NFL craves, and allowed for more mock drafts than ever before, but did it really serve the teams well? We’ll find out in a couple of years.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
boozeman said:
I wonder if the extra time in the draft has led teams to overanalyze things. The New Orleans Saints attempted to bust up the boredom by spending some time in Las Vegas. Some other teams took a week’s break earlier in the process.
Well, thank you to Goodell for making this possible. Brilliant.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Scary note about Shazier.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be ok with Shazier if we trade back to the mid 20s or so but I'm not really a huge fan of his.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Shazier is not someone I am interested in...I like Holloman and this an offseason will help him greatly.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Shazier is not someone I am interested in...I like Holloman and this an offseason will help him greatly.
I don't think Holloman is the kind of weakside LBer that we need. Seems better on the strongside.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Carter should be on the weakside IMO. I am just not into investing in a high pick for a 4-3 LB uunlss they are a difference maker...I don't get that from Shazier.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Carter should be on the weakside IMO. I am just not into investing in a high pick for a 4-3 LB uunlss they are a difference maker...I don't get that from Shazier.
He's more measureables than playmaker. And you know how Dallas loves their prototypes.

He has some real ugly moments in this game.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Completely agree.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Same.

I can't foresee a point in the first round that I'd be interested in him, and likely not in the 2nd either.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It's a good thing we have a solid history of evaluating Ohio State linebackers in the middle of the first round.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's more measureables than playmaker. And you know how Dallas loves their prototypes.

He has some real ugly moments in this game.
Yeah just as soon as I was starting to not hate the guy I watched that film. Good lord he gets blocked way too easily. Not to mention he always looks a step slow to react to things. Basically he is an anti Sean Lee on the field. I'm back on board with the "I want nothing to do with him" group.

D

Deuce

Is it just me or did anyone else get some Bobbeh flashbacks from that video? Maybe it's the tOSU thing in common.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah just as soon as I was starting to not hate the guy I watched that film. Good lord he gets blocked way too easily. Not to mention he always looks a step slow to react to things. Basically he is an anti Sean Lee on the field. I'm back on board with the "I want nothing to do with him" group.
Yeah, it was horrible. Tyler Shatley just blew him up several times. He also got trucked by Sammy Watkins. Pathetic.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, it was horrible. Tyler Shatley just blew him up several times. He also got trucked by Sammy Watkins. Pathetic.
The worst part is it seems like he is just standing there waiting for the block sometimes. For a guy is super fast he looks slow to the ball because he takes a read step on every play before he starts pursuit. I don't care how fast a guy is if he takes forever to get started and can't get through a block or at least stand up the blocker.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The worst part is it seems like he is just standing there waiting for the block sometimes. For a guy is super fast he looks slow to the ball because he takes a read step on every play before he starts pursuit. I don't care how fast a guy is if he takes forever to get started and can't get through a block or at least stand up the blocker.
Yeah, he's fast. But when you see him against a fast team like Clemson, he started playing tentative and taking false steps.

His speed might have worked playing against slower Big 12 teams, but jeez, this was poor poor stuff.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Shazier had bad games just like any other player. His production comes from his football speed, not his instincts. Projecting that to the pros where everyone is fast, big, and strong-- who knows what will happen. His strength is pursuit and tackling, so if for no other reason he'll probably end up a solid pro.

Not a sure thing, and I'm surprised he's rated so high.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Shazier had bad games just like any other player. His production comes from his football speed, not his instincts. Projecting that to the pros where everyone is fast, big, and strong-- who knows what will happen. His strength is pursuit and tackling, so if for no other reason he'll probably end up a solid pro.

Not a sure thing, and I'm surprised he's rated so high.
Bad game or not, he was massively exposed by a team that plays fast like an NFL team. That performance was horrific.

There is also a stat that shows he missed more tackles than any other top ten rated OLB.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
You know who else was a really fast LB?

That guy we took in the third round of the 2009 washout draft.

Can't even remember his name. No instincts. Really fast. Sucked.

Top Bottom