NASCAR Thread

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I know some of you homos like NASCAR....so lets get this thread started.

Lots of new rules, Danica Patrick probably smokes a mean pole but can't drive for shit, and even though racing just isn't racing anymore...it was good to see Jr win one.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not a fan of tEhNazzcaR but this was kind of messed up.

Stewart apparently will be allowed to drive in a regular NASCAR race today.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yeah but that guy was more interested in pointing at something else rather than getting off the track. Not excusing it but just seems there is fault to spread around.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah but that guy was more interested in pointing at something else rather than getting off the track. Not excusing it but just seems there is fault to spread around.
I thought he was confronting Stewart for crashing into him. At either rate, the guy was pretty damn stupid.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Tony Stewart hits, kills driver in sprint car race
Jeff Gluck, USA TODAY Sports 8:42 a.m. EDT August 10, 2014

Kevin Ward Jr., a 20-year-old race car driver, was killed Saturday night after he was struck on the track by NASCAR star Tony Stewart, according to Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff Philip C. Povero.

During a sprint car race at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park, Ward was spun out by Stewart, got out of his car to show his displeasure and then was struck by Stewart's car, sending Ward sliding down the track, fellow sprint car racer Tyler Graves and witness Adam Dulski told USA TODAY Sports.

Povero confirmed the driver was taken by ambulance to Thompson Health and was pronounced dead on arrival.

The Ontario County Sheriff's Department confirmed the dead driver's identity later Sunday morning.

"This is an ongoing investigation of an on-track crash," Povero said.

Povero indicated Stewart, 43, was ''fully cooperative'' and that the incident is not being investigated as a criminal matter.

The sheriff's department said the cars involved were taken to private garages.

"Next is continuing interviews, a continued evaluation of evidence we have, including video, and there is certainly going to be an evaluation of medical evidence when it is collected from the autopsy," Povero said.

Mike Arning, a spokesman for NASCAR team Stewart-Haas Racing, which Stewart co-owns, issued the following statement:

"A tragic accident took place last night during a sprint car race in which Tony Stewart was participating. Tony was unhurt, but a fellow competitor lost his life. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. We're still attempting to sort through all the details and we appreciate your understanding during this difficult time."

NASCAR did not respond to USA TODAY Sports' request for comment.

The Ontario County Sheriff's Department confirmed deputies were on the scene and investigating an incident at the track before Povero spoke with the media around 3 a.m. Sunday morning.

Ward, who raced the No. 13 sprint car at the track, started racing go-karts in 1998 at 4, according to kevinwardracing.com.

Coming out of Turn 2, Stewart's car squeezed Ward's car up into the outside wall, turning it around. Ward's car had a flat tire as a result, and he exited the car to show his displeasure with Stewart's move. He marched down the track and was pointing at Stewart's car as he approached on the ensuing caution lap. Stewart's car then clipped Ward, who was run over and thrown a few yards down the track.

"It happened in Turn 2," said the 27-year-old Dulski. "The prior lap, Tony had gotten into him – just spun him, nothing big, just spun him around. The caution came out. He hopped out of the car – the driver of the 13 ... he hopped out to go and yell and point a finger at Tony, typical thing.

"Tony came around ... the back end slid out, and he definitely caught him – I couldn't tell if it was with the front or the back of the car. ... The body made contact with the car and went sliding across the track. It was the worst thing I've ever seen."

Graves, 16, of Bolivar, N.Y., said he "grew up watching Kevin the last couple years, then I made the move to sprint cars. I now race a 360. I've raced alongside with Kevin the past two years. …

"Tony and Kevin were battling. … I believe they got together on the frontstretch, Kevin hit the wall and his tire went down. So he spun between (turns) 1 and 2. He got out of the car after the caution was thrown and began to walk down the track, pointing right at the 14, throwing his hands all around. The last thing I seen Kevin do was put his finger to his helmet."

Graves said he saw Ward caught up under the tire and then launched a few yards down the track. Ward hit the ground and didn't move, according to Graves.

Barbara Manning, a nursing supervisor at Thompson Health, said Ward's mother and two sisters went to the hospital after the incident.

"I know that the racing community is a very close family," Manning said. "This is an unfortunate tragedy, but they will pull together. They love the sport and know the risks involved. He was so young and had a very big career ahead of him."

According to Ward's website, he started driving sprint cars in 2010 when he notched five top-five finishes. In 2012, he was named Empire Super Sprint rookie of the year. This season was his fifth racing the Empire Super Sprints.

Stewart, a three-time Sprint Cup champion who suffered a compound fracture of his right leg in a sprint car accident a year ago, had just returned to the hobby he says helps fuel his success in NASCAR.

In July of last year, Stewart also was involved in an incident at the Canandaigua track. He sparked a multi-car wreck that sent two drivers to the hospital with injuries.

After Saturday night's incident, racing was canceled for the rest of the night, according to the track's Facebook page.

In a later post, the track said: "Canandaigua Motorspots Park will not have an official statement on the accident that happened in the ESS race until tomorrow. Please pray for the entire racing community of fans, drivers, and families. Please be respectful in any comments."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Now they are saying he won't race.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That was 100% the fault of the guy who was killed. And frankly he got what he deserved. The idiot was only mimicking what he's seen many other idiotic NASCAR racers do. After he got spun out and wrecked, he ran out onto the race track WHILE THE RACE WAS STILL GOING ON AND WHILE CARS WERE STILL SPEEDING AROUND THE TRACK, to shout down Stewart or whatever and he was subsequently struck and killed.

The dude was a fucking idiot and he got what he deserved as far as I'm concerned.

What he did has always been foolish and very dangerous but now that someone has lost there life doing it watch NASCAR and other racing entities finally start banning the action and punishing drivers who storm the track during the middle of a race.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Well, Im not sure he got what he deserved but he wasnt very bright.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wotta moron. Why would you walk down the middle of a track with a race still going on? Idiot.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Sounded like Stewart gave it some gas when he got near the dude and hit the guy. Listen to one with better sound.

Cotton

Staff member
It also looks like he swerved towards him. If that turns out to be the case does this turn into a homicide investigation?

D

Deuce

Tony's always been a dick on the track. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to get close to scare the dude off a little and just got too close. It won't be homicide, but he'll have some shit to deal with.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
It also looks like he swerved towards him. If that turns out to be the case does this turn into a homicide investigation?
I'm betting he gave it some gas, causing the car to swerve in the dirt or mud and hit the guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up facing some kind of manslaughter charge.

He's always had a bad temper and now it has cost someone their life.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowlishaw: What we can learn after Tony Stewart killed driver on track

Mike McCarn/AP

Published: 10 August 2014 01:18 PM
Updated: 10 August 2014 01:18 PM

NASCAR's Tony Stewart pulls out of race after hitting, killing driver on NY dirt track

It is one of those things you avoid typing because, as much fun as we make of ourselves about "jinxing" things in sports, this is one time you don't want to be wrong. But I truly believed, given all the safety measures put in place over the last decade, the link between death and NASCAR drivers was gone forever.

Who would have guessed it would resurface on an obscure dirt track in upstate New York? The night before he was to drive in one of Sprint Cup's two road races, Tony Stewart -- a man clearly fueled with more road rage than most -- killed Kevin Ward, Jr. after the 20-year-old had left his car to confront the veteran champion driver.

It is a horrific video to watch, even shot from across the track in poor lighting. Stewart and the young driver had wrecked on the previous lap, causing Ward's car to spin out. Ward leaves his car to confront Stewart on the track and is barely missed by another driver before Stewart's car spins and hits Ward with the back end of his car and drags him down the track.

Ward was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

Stewart decided not to race at Watkins Glen today, although this came after Greg Zipadelli, Stewart's longtime crew chief and now the competition director for Stewart-Haas Racing initially said it would be "business as usual.''

Nothing will ever again be "as usual" for Tony Stewart.

For me, it's far too early to assume what Stewart was trying to do when he accelerated near Ward. He might have been trying to get out of the way. He might have been trying to scare him. Let the investigators figure that out.

I do know this. Stewart drives with a sense of fury that is unusual even for the most competitive drivers at the highest level of motor sports. His run-ins with other drivers through the years are celebrated (if that's the right word), and his tirades with the media are legendary.

I also know this.

I met Stewart in the spring of 2007 when I was working for ESPN's "Nascar Now.'' Stewart had a very low opinion of the cable network that had just purchased the rights to the sport, and someone in his camp thought it would be a good idea if he could connect with me.
We talked Indianapolis Colts (he was a season-ticket holder), we talked "Around the Horn,'' and we talked hockey to the point he was considering taking a helicopter to a Stars playoff game the next night.

I drove at TMS in an event he hosted that fall and later sold the racing suit I had been given after wearing it for Halloween on "Around the Horn.'' The winning eBay bid was $14,800. Stewart matched it with all the money going to the North Texas Food Bank.
This was nothing new for him. He is among the most charitable of drivers.

At the same time, I was told by one source that year that Stewart's road rage is not limited to NASCAR events, that he is a troubled man beyond anything those who know him as a champion driver can imagine.

I don't know what the police in New York will determine. They indicated Sunday that their investigation can not yet be labeled a criminal one. But Ward and his family deserve to know what happened.

Maybe if there is one good thing to come from this awful night it's that racers at all levels will learn that leaving a car to confront a rival still driving one is a terrible idea.

While Stewart's life is not over, it is forever changed. Twenty years from now, will he be remembered as much for killing a young man on a dirt track one awful Saturday night in Canandaigua, N.Y., as for winning three Sprint Cup championships?

It's too soon to say whether that's unfair or entirely appropriate.

A year ago when Stewart suffered a broken leg in one of these events far from the NASCAR mainstream, some wondered if he would scale back on his non-Sprint Cup schedule.

He chose not to. It's a decision he can regret for the rest of his life.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm betting he gave it some gas, causing the car to swerve in the dirt or mud and hit the guy.

That could be entirely true. But if that kid had stayed in the car and then decided to air his grievances with Stewart off the track instead of on it, he would be alive and Stewart would just be an asshole.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Looks to me that the swerve was caused by the contact rather than being intentional.

jeebs

Brand New Member
Looks to me that the swerve was caused by the contact rather than being intentional.
I am conflicted. The swerve and engine rev is almost to close to tell if it is just before or after contact. But if it was after contact, why exactly would you speed up and turn into the collision?

Carl

RIP Brother
No nothing about NASCAR, and this was not that, but any pro in any sport can control their ride/ vehicle to cm's. This looks like a non accident to me. Up to other guy to get out of way sort of thing, which he did not.

How did race go though? Rednecks RSVP.

Top Bottom