Helman: Draft Plan Not As Obvious As You’d Think

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Helman: Draft Plan Not As Obvious As You’d Think

Posted 1 hour ago

David Helman

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – For the sake of full disclosure, it’s worth pointing out that I wasn’t present at the media session with Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones on Sunday at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Having read through Jones’ comments, though, there’s some pretty interesting insight to be gleaned about what the Cowboys are thinking in terms of draft strategy with the NFL draft approaching in May. And honestly, it doesn’t seem like the slam dunk many make it out to be.

We’ve been over the possibilities ad nauseam since the season ended – so much so that opinions have started to repeat with so much time until the Cowboys actually go on the clock. We know the defense was atrocious in 2013, we know the pass rush was severely depleted and still remains a question mark. We know the safety and linebacker spots look concerning, at least to some degree.

To hear it from Jones, though, those spots don’t issue the same level of concern as some think.

“We like where we are at safety. And we like where we are at Sam linebacker, strong linebacker,” he said Sunday. “We actually got three or four guys we think can really do a good job.”

That’s quite a vote of confidence for the likes of J.J. Wilcox, Jeff Heath, DeVonte Holloman – perhaps even Justin Durant. But it comes at odds with plenty of opinions, both from draft experts and casual observers, that those positions need to be addressed – potentially with the likes of a top draft pick like Calvin Pryor or Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

It’s evident the Cowboys’ defense needs to improve. But the depth of this draft, combined with the team’s position in the very middle of it, could make for a less-obvious decision than many think. I’ve said for a while that there are only a few positions that obviously don’t need to be addressed – running back, tight end and center.

Jones didn’t echo my sentiments exactly in Indianapolis, but he came close.

“I am trying to think of any place else. I can’t really think of any place else, probably tight end and not necessarily receiver either,” he said. “Running back – that’s the reason why we’re talking here because the running backs are going out here. But I feel good about where we are at running back.”

I’m going to allow the general manager to continue making my point for me, which is this: as badly as this team needs to improve its defense, the depth of this draft means it doesn’t have to happen with the No. 16 overall pick.

“All things equal -- same quality. The depth is really good in both fronts, so is linebacker,” Jones said. “It’s good in both those fronts. So I think that will be noted.”

The Cowboys need defensive linemen, both at end and tackle, and they could probably use further depth at linebacker. But depending on the flow of the draft – not to mention whatever is to come in free agency – the best possible value might come in securing the future of the offensive line. In a rare circumstance, maybe the best value is a top-notch receiver.

That’s not to say the defense won’t be addressed. There are too many variables to predict what will happen with that 16th pick, and with eight picks in the draft there’s no doubt the Cowboys will use several of them on defenders.

My only point – and Jerry Jones’ too, apparently – is that the draft strategy doesn’t seem as concrete as many would seem to think.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Jeff Heath looked lost. Wilcox.... to me..... did not look good.... but he did look like someone who was just not used to the speed of the game. There were other moments when he looked like he had some instincts.

He's far, far from a sure thing, and I wouldn't let his presence stop me from drafting a safety (better players at OL or DL would do that instead) but if we struck out at the position otherwise this offseason I will at least be interested to see if he's improved as opposed to despondent that the cupboard is completely bare.

I also really wish Matt Johnson would stop being a piece of broken glass.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jeff Heath looked lost. Wilcox.... to me..... did not look good.... but he did look like someone who was just not used to the speed of the game. There were other moments when he looked like he had some instincts.

He's far, far from a sure thing, and I wouldn't let his presence stop me from drafting a safety (better players at OL or DL would do that instead) but if we struck out at the position otherwise this offseason I will at least be interested to see if he's improved as opposed to despondent that the cupboard is completely bare.
Wilcox had one decent game at Philly, then got hurt and never could get his job back from Heath of all people. All I can say is the entire defense was a horror show, especially at safety.

I cannot understand for the life of me how Jones can feel good about the position. The only thing I can think of is he's listening to Marinelli. Name the last high quality safety he had in Chicago? Chris Conte, Craig Steltz, Major Wright, Matt Johnson, Adam Archuleta, etc. About the only decent one was Danieal Manning. I don't think he values it all the position all that much either. Kiffin had Lynch, but it is not like he was all about having a top shelf safety either. He had people like Dexter Jackson in Tampa.

I also really wish Matt Johnson would stop being a piece of broken glass.
I don't think Matt Johnson has a chance to be much better than Heath honestly.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Mike Brown and Chris Harris were pretty good but I don't know where they fall in the timeline of Marinelli being there.

And I think it would be nearly impossible for Matt Johnson to not be better than Heath. His problem is health.

But I suppose there's a chance. Heath is that Lynn Scott type that no one knows why he is playing or why he keeps making the team. I'm not convinced he was better than Wilcox even though he got the starting nods.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mike Brown and Chris Harris were pretty good but I don't know where they fall in the timeline of Marinelli being there.
They were when Lovie Smith started. "Pretty good" but not great pros. They were functional. Just like some of the CBs in Chicago now. Fact is the position isn't valued enough to spend high choices on.

And I think it would be nearly impossible for Matt Johnson to not be better than Heath. His problem is health.
And you can't tell me for a damn second that you know he is any better than Heath. What are you basing it on? His grainy YouTube videos? Don't tell me that you are taking soundbytes from our staff and executives as proof.

All you have is Heath sucks, because, he's well, you know, actually played.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If Dallas got a more consistent running game, the defense would improve greatly with just a few fewer injuries.

Basically there's room to improve almost anywhere on the team except at TE or CB.

That 1st round pick needs to be a high quality 2014 starter or QB, period. I really don't care what position.

I will say if it's not a DL, then the team almost has to take a DL in the 2nd round.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Dallas got a more consistent running game, the defense would improve greatly with just a few fewer injuries.

Basically there's room to improve almost anywhere on the team except at TE or CB.

That 1st round pick needs to be a high quality 2014 starter or QB, period. I really don't care what position.

I will say if it's not a DL, then the team almost has to take a DL in the 2nd round.
The DL has to be addressed a lot.

If not in the first, then as soon as possible thereafter like you said.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
They were when Lovie Smith started. "Pretty good" but not great pros. They were functional. Just like some of the CBs in Chicago now. Fact is the position isn't valued enough to spend high choices on.

And you can't tell me for a damn second that you know he is any better than Heath. What are you basing it on? His grainy YouTube videos? Don't tell me that you are taking soundbytes from our staff and executives as proof.

All you have is Heath sucks, because, he's well, you know, actually played.
I'm basing on the fact that it would be hard to be a draftable NFL player and be worse than Heath.

I mean, if Matt Johnson is Alan Ball, he's better than Heath.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I watched this dipshits interview on the Cowboys site and thankfully he mentioned CB and TE as two spots he's comfortable with, along with RB. Surprisingly he mentioned OL when talking about passing up a DL in the first, in regard to making a decision on a really good OL being available vs. taking a DL just because of the need. I would be 100% fine with us taking Zack Martin at 16, we would have the makings of the 49er OL within a year or two, we'd just need a coach to come in and run the team that same way.

Anyway, he also mentioned LB as a spot that doesn't have alot of depth in this draft while there is depth on the OL/DL, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if we took Mosley at 16. It just seems like something we would do, he's a really good prospect but it's a position we don't really need that badly and we'd be leaving other spots, namely the entire DL, a gaping sieve.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Can Mosley kick outside though? You'd feel a lot better if Barr slips.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am a little worried about Mosley. Given the recent "success" of both Hightower and Upshaw recently, you can't help but think. There is also the idea now I read from Louis Riddick that suggests Saban players are used up by the time they hit the NFL. I can't say I disagree when you look at how the Tide prospects have done since 2007.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I am a little worried about Mosley. Given the recent "success" of both Hightower and Upshaw recently, you can't help but think. There is also the idea now I read from Louis Riddick that suggests Saban players are used up by the time they hit the NFL. I can't say I disagree when you look at how the Tide prospects have done since 2007.
I theorized years ago that Alabama players receive such superior coaching compared to other prospects that they're closer to their ceiling than the other guys coming out and have less potential to tap into, so there's that.

I wouldn't necessarily be livid about Mosley like I would be if we went CB or some dumb shit, but I wouldn't be overjoyed either.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The reason I'd be ok with Barr is because he brings natural pass rush ability off the edge and he could put his hand down in passing situations like Von Miller. Mosley is a true 4-3 LB/3-4 ILB whereas Barr is the hybrid 3-4 OLB type.

D

Deuce

Someone (I think Jeremiah) said Mosley can play any LB spot in any scheme. Id probably try him in the middle as well just to give Lee some plays off.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Someone (I think Jeremiah) said Mosley can play any LB spot in any scheme. Id probably try him in the middle as well just to give Lee some plays off.
I don't think he can play 3-4 OLB, I think he can play any 4-3 LB spot and 3-4 ILB though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I theorized years ago that Alabama players receive such superior coaching compared to other prospects that they're closer to their ceiling than the other guys coming out and have less potential to tap into, so there's that.
I don't think their coaching is so much more superior...I think Saban wears the ever living shit out of them and he has a lot more of them to use up.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If I am taking the guy in the first, he better be the guy my defense is centered around. Frick giving Lee a breather. He's the mike.

Top Bottom