The comeback trail: 2019 and beyond...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, there is no excuse to be "unemployed" if you have a vehicle. Uber and Lyft jobs are always open.

Granted, if you live in a sparsely populated area, you won't make the same kind of money.

Hope things get better for you DLK.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yeah, there is no excuse to be "unemployed" if you have a vehicle. Uber and Lyft jobs are always open.

Granted, if you live in a sparsely populated area, you won't make the same kind of money.

A friend of mine's son is doing Uber whenever he can while at college and has been doing pretty well with it.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

It's partially because of my recent employment history. The jobs I had at ND and UPS in 2016 were seasonal so I was with one for three months and the other two. The ND job ended because football season did and the groundskeepers went from mowing, trimming and leaf collection to snow removal and I wasn't trained on that. They keep the senior guys around for that. At UPS I started as a package handler in the distribution center in the morning then switched over to driver helper in the afternoon because it was peak delivery season. Once the season wound down, I turned in my uniform and said bye-bye.

The final nail in my coffin was in the last job at this local convenience store/gas station. Miserable job but it was local so I stuck it out. Specified I could work mornings to early evenings and the first month and a half were fine. Then one Thursday, they scheduled me to close the store at 11:30. I didn't say anything and did it but the other half was not happy because she was scared to use the restroom by herself. She sat and held it in for a couple of hours, gave up and tried. She had trouble getting back into it and nobody else was around to help. Sometimes She fell when no phone was nearby so she waited for me to get home so I could call paramedics. When I got home, I found her laying on the floor and called the paramedics out, she was bawling on the floor and calling herself stupid.

Long enough story short, I talked to them the next day and said I couldn't work that late. I said it before I was hired. The end of my shift, I checked next week's schedule and they had me scheduled to close *two* days. I saw that, didn't bother to clock in and walked out. Second time in over 30+ years since I started working that I walked away without two weeks notice.

So the last job would *not* give me a good reference(On the rare occasions that I go in there and I see one of the managers, they look like they ate a raw lemon.) I mentioned this to someone just last week and they said yeah, I've heard it was an awful place to work. They have ridiculous turnover there. The only ones that stick around are the part timers that need a second job badly. The other ones I was at for so short a time, they probably wouldn't know me by name, if the people I worked with are even still there.

Plus, the people that live in South Bend get lost at times, even with GPS.

Oh, thanks Booze.

Last edited:

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Well, on my way to Nawlins. Stopped in a hotel in Kentucky because it took me forever to GTFO of fucking Indiana. Effing road construction and detours *everywhere* and after 400 miles, driver fatigue set in. Plus my dog was driving me batshit.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Thank you. Helluva drive from ND territory to LSU territory but here I be. It's actually Metairie.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Thank you. Helluva drive from ND territory to LSU territory but here I be. It's actually Metairie.
Try not to begin to suck crawfish heads while you are there. Nasty cuisine.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Well, that didn't pan out. After a looong two day trip including a stay in a hotel Monday, I got there. First couple of hours, fine. Her cats are in the bedroom, we talked, went to bed. Came out next morning, fine for a couple of hours. One of the cats gets out, my dog goes ballistic. He'd always been a wuss with cats. She goes off tells me to GTFO now. Asked if I could stay one more night. NO. NOW. So around 2 pm, I hit the road. Stopped at a hotel again overnight, left this morning hoping to get back to Indiana. Leaving Alabama, run into a motherfucking monsoon. Visibility maybe 20 feet through hills, twists and turns. No shoulder to pull onto either. Made it maybe fifty miles in two hours, white knuckling it. Finally made out a convenience store so I pulled in to buy smokes and wait it out. That was worse than a storm I drove through with quarter size haill and really ate up time. In the end, I'm back in the same hotel in the same room. Don't know if that's sad, funny, ironic or a curse. Didn't think it would be smart driving after beer so I haven't had one all week. Miracle of miracles, there's a liquor store right down the road from my hotel. So, I'm in my room with a beer flipping through the meh cable lineup and wondering what tomorrow brings. Bottoms up!

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Got back last Friday night from that hellish trip. Dog given up for adoption Saturday.

Stayed with a guy I know most of this week. Good guy but waaay too much going on at his place. Latest stop: Homeless shelter in South Bend

What a fricking week. All that money spent on that boondoggle to NO, maybe $20 Left. Oh well.

D

Deuce

Sorry to hear how rough things are getting. Hopefully something comes up for you soon.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Thanks man, things are looking up. The place has a computer lab, my old computer died with my resume on it and I haven't had access to one for over a month. Some things you just can't do with a phone. New resume sent to email and stowed on my phone, half a dozen applications sent out. Older Windows 7 box but it has Word and internet access so, word.

This joint gets so boring, I felt like I was right back in my element. Best day I've had since I've been here, just don't think they would like me searching for pron on it. ;)

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Well, it's come to this. Haven't really heard back from many jobs but bills are coming due so as a last resort, I started one of these. Not much that hasn't been mentioned and in the interest of honesty, already raised enough to take care of the car related stuff. Thankfully, the insurance isn't due for a couple of months. Anyway, if anyone can pitch in a bit it would be appreciated, it's not exactly a lofty goal.: www.gofundme.com/c5u2gb-starting-over-from-scratch

Smitty

DCC 4Life
DLK, how old are you? Do you qualify for social security? Even early social security?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You can start getting early social security at age 62. If your spouse was 65, are you not close to that age at least?

What's your work history?

Do you have any disabilities, even age-related, that would prevent you from working?

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Not close to old enough for SS, we were over ten years apart.

Recent work history is spotty because I spent so much time caring for her then wrangling over the estate with her family.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Do you have any disabilities that would prevent you from working? You may be able to get SSI instead of SSD. Would take a long time even if you started the process now but at least it’s something to aim for.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Sorry I let this go, I've been applying left and right the last few weeks because this shelter starts charging after 45 days. Anyway, finally had an interview last Friday and was hired on the spot, started Monday. Better World Books, part of a staff that works with the inventory. 600,000 sq ft and millions of books, I can see why. Feels Damn good to be busy for awhile and there are plenty of women working there too. Just a perk, ya know. I'm going to leave that page up for awhile until I have regular cash flow, I'm not taking it for granted. Thanks for the support gentlemen, I appreciate it. Booze, you have a friend request at FB. I don't irritate Cotton hardly at all...

Top Bottom