The comeback trail: 2019 and beyond...

data

Forbes #1
When’s the drive to NJ?

Any last places you going to eat/visit before leaving Indiana?

DLK150

DCC 4Life
When’s the drive to NJ?

Any last places you going to eat/visit before leaving Indiana?
About 700 miles/13 hours.

Visit, no. Pretty boring part of the state, outside of South Bend/Mishawaka it's very rural. There is a great Italian place called Pasquale Rulli's not far away that doesn't deliver but has some of the best Italian food around. Very east coast flavor to it.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
It's been awhile since I updated but the insurance covered the funeral costs and I put the rest in my bank so at least I have bug out money. It'll be enough to cover all the bills for awhile too. Her nephew, his wife and kids moved in because the house they were renting was owned by a slumlord and we're splitting all the costs for now. I'm probably going to look around here for a dog friendly apartment though because I just don't want to stay in this house any more, twenty years of memories, it's time to start fresh. The desk where her PC was is right next to mine and it's still weird to not see her sitting there playing her silly FB games. I'm executor of the estate but if I'm not around, her sister is secondary so she can handle it. I'm just trying to tie up some loose ends these days.

She was paying for two cell phones for family members that I won't continue footing the bill for, especially since we don't have a good relationship. I need to go to AT&T later to finish removing those phones from that account and open a new one with just my number on it. Happy birthday to me!

Anyway it's been a long, strange trip, definitely uncharted territory for me...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Thanks for the update. I hope things continue well for you.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Well, shit just got real. I've been exploring apartments in the area and most that I can afford for awhile based on what I have in the bank(+$11,000) require proof of income for one to six months. The issue here is, I haven't worked since April because I had to be home all the time after she got to the point where she couldn't even walk up the stairs to bed or even a few feet from the downstairs bathroom to her wheelchair. I couldn't leave her alone because if she fell, couldn't get up and was away from a phone, she couldn't call paramedics to help her.

Plus, there's very few dog friendly places around here, my dog has major separation anxiety and is not used to being all alone. When I was working, she was home. Now that she's gone, I can't leave for fifteen minutes to get a pack of cigarettes without him barking and howling when I leave. On top of that, there are few job openings around here this time of year that I qualify for in areas I have experience that will pay enough to keep things afloat. I thought about taking some essential things with me and hanging out in the SUV but my only means of communication would be my cell and I wouldn't have a physical address to send the bill, although I guess I could enroll in paperless billing.

Anyway, things are going to get *really* interesting the next few months. Fucking Dallas had better at least look competitive down the stretch, I could use the distraction.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Well, shit just got real. I've been exploring apartments in the area and most that I can afford for awhile based on what I have in the bank(+$11,000) require proof of income for one to six months. The issue here is, I haven't worked since April because I had to be home all the time after she got to the point where she couldn't even walk up the stairs to bed or even a few feet from the downstairs bathroom to her wheelchair. I couldn't leave her alone because if she fell, couldn't get up and was away from a phone, she couldn't call paramedics to help her.

Plus, there's very few dog friendly places around here, my dog has major separation anxiety and is not used to being all alone. When I was working, she was home. Now that she's gone, I can't leave for fifteen minutes to get a pack of cigarettes without him barking and howling when I leave. On top of that, there are few job openings around here this time of year that I qualify for in areas I have experience that will pay enough to keep things afloat. I thought about taking some essential things with me and hanging out in the SUV but my only means of communication would be my cell and I wouldn't have a physical address to send the bill, although I guess I could enroll in paperless billing.

Anyway, things are going to get *really* interesting the next few months. Fucking Dallas had better at least look competitive down the stretch, I could use the distraction.
Dang bro, hang in there! I’m sure that things will shake out soon enough.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Dang bro, hang in there! I’m sure that things will shake out soon enough.
Yeah, I'm working on it. Shit's just happening real fast since she died on 7/16 and her biological family is pissed that I'm due a bigger piece of the pie according to the will, which I didn't even know. I'm ready to be away from their greedy asses and be done with the bunch of them so that's why I'm ready to just GTFO of Dodge and move on.

Been sending out feelers to people I know asking if they'd be willing to rent a room for awhile until I get my shit together.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm working on it. Shit's just happening real fast since she died on 7/16 and her biological family is pissed that I'm due a bigger piece of the pie according to the will, which I didn't even know. I'm ready to be away from their greedy asses and be done with the bunch of them so that's why I'm ready to just GTFO of Dodge and move on.

Been sending out feelers to people I know asking if they'd be willing to rent a room for awhile until I get my shit together.
If you have the cash maybe they would settle for you paying ahead in rent instead of a proven income? I mean places have to understand someone moving to a new city might not have a job yet.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
If you have the cash maybe they would settle for you paying ahead in rent instead of a proven income? I mean places have to understand someone moving to a new city might not have a job yet.
I thought of that too, maybe pay like 3 or 4 months in advance. There are just a shitload of factors to consider and I'm going to quit fixating on it over the weekend so I can clear my head.

I've had offers to move in with a couple different women back east but I've known them for less than a year through FB only. Just said thanks, I'll pass.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I thought of that too, maybe pay like 3 or 4 months in advance. There are just a shitload of factors to consider and I'm going to quit fixating on it over the weekend so I can clear my head.

I've had offers to move in with a couple different women back east but I've known them for less than a year through FB only. Just said thanks, I'll pass.
FB wimmen. No bueno.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
FB wimmen. No bueno.
Oh, I know. These seem to be who they say they are but I don't have any interest, just a weird vibe where they turn out to be crazy cat ladies or something.

I do have one female FB friend that I know from real life that I'd definitely jump on given the chance. Little barmaid biker chick but she's also a bit of a head case who got into a fight with an ex boyfriend while working the bar and spit in his face in front of everyone. The bar owner was not a fan of her actions. Sweet looking little thing for a 50 something grandma but I notice I seem to attract head cases or vice versa. Too old for that shit.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Welp, the end game is near. The con artist nephew never lived up to his end of the bargain, splitting expenses. Paid the gas bill a couple of times, split the cable bill once and that's about it. Always claims to not have the money for one reason or another. I know that's BS because he's a certified mechanic that makes around $1,000 a week. Always had a decent relationship with his mother, her sister but evidently she's a wolf in sheep's clothing too. So I'm down to the option of living out of my vehicle with my dog, no particular destination. Had an offer to move in with someone here in Indiana but that fell through and I had a weird vibe about it anyway.

Just posted a long rant about the whole thing on FB but now my brain is tired and I might just take a nap. Endless repeats of the same crap on cable will probably bore me to sleep before long and I didn't sleep worth a damn last night so I've been up since 5AM. Anyway, DCC is still one of the only sites I visit daily and since I've known most of you for ten plus years I figured I would give you a heads up.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Well, two options to move. One from a buddy that's a retired Navy vet in Reno and another that lives in the Metairie area in Nawlins. At least gas is cheaper in NO and they know where I can find work. I'd just have to learn to deal with Saints and LSU fans.

D

Deuce

Well, two options to move. One from a buddy that's a retired Navy vet in Reno and another that lives in the Metairie area in Nawlins. At least gas is cheaper in NO and they know where I can find work. I'd just have to learn to deal with Saints and LSU fans.
Saints fans will all convert back to Cowboys fans once Brees retires and they suck again.

LSU fans are kind of ridiculous but they are continuously shell shocked by Saban ditching them and now winning title after title with a rival.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Saints fans will all convert back to Cowboys fans once Brees retires and they suck again.

LSU fans are kind of ridiculous but they are continuously shell shocked by Saban ditching them and now winning title after title with a rival.
Probably not happening now anyway but yeah, I remember when the Saints sucked and a bunch of the area fans would show up in Dallas gear when Dallas played in NO. Looking at other options now, I just couldn't make a drive that long with a psychotic terrier in the car.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
That's it, I'm screwed. You won't see me hanging around at all by the first week of May. My sister said she could afford to send me some money bur didn't say how much and I didn't ask, not when someone says I'll send what I can afford. She's been an RN for a long time and makes around $125K a year but she cleans houses on the side to make ends meet so I didn't get my hopes up too high. So, I crossed my fingers and waited, hoping it might be at least $200 to $500 and buy me a little time. She could only send $80 which means I now have $105 in the bank. It's going to take at least $40 to fill my tank and my cell bill is due on 5/5. I don't have enough money for both so I'm going to have to let the cell go. Might be able to stop in McDonald's here and there with my laptop to use their wifi but keeping that thing charged in a vehicle will be next to impossible.

In the meantime, I've been asking around for someone that may be able to put my dog and I up for awhile until I find work. Back in August and September I was scouring the area for apartments in the area either they had no vacancies or the rent was ridiculous, plus they didn't allow pets. Got hopeful when one place maybe a 1/4 mile from here said no vacancies and a two month wait list, I said put me on it. Two months came and went, they never called. Then it's the middle of November and I'm stuck. Job market is crap that time of year here so I just kept paying bills. Been looking for work ever since but the longer I go between jobs, the harder it gets. It doesn't help that I walked out on the last place I worked because they started scheduling me later than my requested hours. I guess they've pulled the same stunt with other people because their turnover rate is asinine. The last job I had before that was late 2016 when I worked at ND but that was seasonal. No, after that, I worked for UPS but that was a short lived, seasonal job for the Christmas season.

Meanwhile, I'm stuck with these white trash morons that curse and fight all the time, the one teenager(16) calls his parents a MFer or bitch or both. They let his girlfriend hang out here, they're in the bedroom across from me and fvck around until 2:30 in the morning or later. Then he gives them a hard time, like this morning and he's late again. He's got a juvy record and if he doesn't go to school, he has to report to the JJC. It wasn't as bad back in the fall when he had to wear an ankle monitor but after that was removed, it went downhill and he became an arrogant little MFer who thinks his shit don't stink. Go across the hall to use the bathroom and I can smell pot in the hall.

Plus, they brought four dogs with them and two of them had big litters so at one point there were 23 dogs and puppies running around. None of them are trained so they crap and piss all over the house. Bark all fricking hours of the day and I have to carry my dog out when he has to go to the bathroom or they gang up on him and he's just a 25 pound terrier. Since I'm not working I spend 90% of my time in the room I've been in for over a couple of years, sleeping in a recliner. Had to start that when I worked at ND, had to get up at 5AM and didn't want to disturb Vicky or the dog that early. Just got to be a habit after awhile.

Then yesterday, my cousin suggests I call this guy Ralph that she and her husband went to school with back in the late 60s. I knew him through them but hadn't heard from him in a long time because he quit FB. He lives in Davenport Iowa which is doable in 4,5 hours from here so I figured what the hell. I talked to him for about an hour last night but evidently he moved out of his trailer into assisted living which made me wonder why she suggested calling him. What's the point?

I had an offer from this little old widow on FB from Hobart(90 miles) that likes to take people in because she gets lonely. I didn't really know her because she just follows my posts so I balked but changed my mind a couple of days later. The previous day she had taken in a young couple so there was no room in Betty's Inn. That was a couple of months ago.

So, it looks like I will be living out of my SUV with my dog until I run out of gas or money unless I stumble across something around here.

I mentioned my situation that prick that I let move in and he said I needed to find a job. Well no shit, Sherlock but even if this one place I applied at had hired me and started me on Monday, I wouldn't see a check for two weeks(Most jobs) and by that time I'd be broke. I was telling him some of this and he just chuckles like it's a joke. I was really starting to get pissed off, especially after he said I needed to come up with some money to stick around after I told him how much I had left. MFer brings home around $700 a week but I never said shit when he had an excuse every goddamn month for not contributing to bills.

Sooo, in the meantime I've been looking into shelters and halfway houses around here. My first instinct when I found out about the life insurance was to bug the fuck out but I was executor of the estate so I stuck it out because I thought I owed it to her as a friend, which I gave up after awhile and passed on to her sister when some in her biological family started grumbling about non-family running the show, even though I've known them over twenty years.

This shit has been like living in an episode of The Twilight Zone with Stephen King and Edgar Allen Poe as script contributors. Trying to sell a few things that I bought when I thought I would get into an apartment without much luck. Figured even a couple hundred dollars more would buy me some time and maybe I could pull off the N.O. move.

Started having morbid dreams around a month ago about bad shit happening to me, so between those waking me up and the Simpsons I haven't had a decent night's sleep in literally months.That and the dickhead kids slamming doors in the middle of the night or their mongrels barking all night long, stirring my dog up. I guess you could refer to every living creature outside of this room as a mongrel. There had to be some inbreeding along the way, and I don't mean just the dogs.

Anyway, I can still hang around here now and then if I can figure out a way to pay off my cell phone bill. There's a nice little old lady next door that would probably help out, maybe even take us in but her son lives there too and he doesn't like dogs. Plus, their yard isn't fenced.

I couldn't make this shit up.if I tried.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Never really considered it. They're based in South Bend though and SB can be a shithole, especially at night. Notre Dame is north of SB and when I drove home from there at night, I avoided it like the plague. Took a road to the north back to the east because it was faster anyway.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Never really considered it. They're based in South Bend though and SB can be a shithole, especially at night. Notre Dame is north of SB and when I drove home from there at night, I avoided it like the plague. Took a road to the north back to the east because it was faster anyway.
I think he meant as a way to garner income. Just FYI , you can pull your earnings from driving for either almost immediately. No need to wait for a paycheck.

Top Bottom