The comeback trail: 2019 and beyond...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Grew up in NJ, most of my family and personal friends are in the area. Brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, great nieces and nephews, old classmates from the 70s, etc. Taxes aren't quite as oppressive as in NY/NJ either in PA. My two sisters that live in NJ both pay around $8,000 a year just in property taxes.

Eastern PA, NJ, downstate NY and so on. Indiana is cheaper but it's not where the people I care about are now.
Good luck and God Speed whatever trail you take. I think all of us hope you stay on the board and update us occasionally.

vince

Not So New Member
Grew up in NJ, most of my family and personal friends are in the area. Brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, great nieces and nephews, old classmates from the 70s, etc. Taxes aren't quite as oppressive as in NY/NJ either in PA. My two sisters that live in NJ both pay around $8,000 a year just in property taxes.

Eastern PA, NJ, downstate NY and so on. Indiana is cheaper but it's not where the people I care about are now.
I hope your family and friends help ease with your loss.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I grew up outside Philly, worked for years in the Poconos, and my wife is from Phillipsburg NJ and lived in Easton PA when I met her. Lehigh Valley down to Bucks County is a gorgeous place.

NJ, on the other hand, sucks and is ridiculously expensive. Though once you get to Bucks, it's expensive there too, but not in taxes, just in Real Estate costs. Lehigh Valley is nice and cheap.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I grew up outside Philly, worked for years in the Poconos, and my wife is from Phillipsburg NJ and lived in Easton PA when I met her. Lehigh Valley down to Bucks County is a gorgeous place.

NJ, on the other hand, sucks and is ridiculously expensive. Though once you get to Bucks, it's expensive there too, but not in taxes, just in Real Estate costs. Lehigh Valley is nice and cheap.
Yeah, I know. I lived there for over thirty years before moving to Indiana, mostly in Mercer County. In NJ it's prices for real estate and property taxes. My two sisters still live in NJ and their property taxes alone are 6-8,000 a year.

The houses around here are typically valued at 90-140,000, back in NJ they would be 300-400,000 for something smaller.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Sorry for your loss, DLK.

And if he has any money problems, we can always donate to this site on a certain day with all donations to go to him if needed. Or if someone has a better idea.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sorry for your loss, DLK.

And if he has any money problems, we can always donate to this site on a certain day with all donations to go to him if needed. Or if someone has a better idea.
I think that is a fantastic idea.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Well, went through her will yesterday with her sisters. She made me the executor of her estate and named me as the beneficiary on a $25,000 life insurance policy. Both caught me off guard, she must have done that without my knowledge. Maybe I just forgot, dunno.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Thank you. I managed to convert her into a Dallas fan over the years. I just can't stop crying, twenty years is not a drop in the bucket and now I'm just trying to sort everything out.

Obligatory: :flip cancer...
I echo everyone else's condolences. And yes, :flip cancer

I don't know the rankings of which cancer is the worst to have but I have to imagine that liver cancer is right up there near the top. Within the last 4 years, I've lost two friends and a family member to liver cancer. They were all 45 years old or younger.

Last edited:

DLK150

DCC 4Life
My one uncle in Iowa died from liver cancer over ten years ago, I think it was 2004. Talked to him on the phone one time then within two weeks, *poof*. Gone.

He was a heavy drinker and smoker though so it wasn't a big surprise.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
My one uncle in Iowa died from liver cancer over ten years ago, I think it was 2004. Talked to him on the phone one time then within two weeks, *poof*. Gone.

He was a heavy drinker and smoker though so it wasn't a big surprise.
That sounds similar to what happened to one of my friends/co-workers back in 2016. He was diagnosed with the disease and had surgery to remove most of his liver. After a few months the cancer came back so he went back into the hospital for a second time. I went to visit him on a Thursday afternoon and texted with him on Saturday. Late Monday night his wife called and told me that he passed away.

I wash shocked that it happened so fast because he was always putting on a brave face and joking even when you knew he was in bad shape. I guess that was his way of trying to lighten the mood and ease everyone's concerns.

In his case we think he kind of just gave up, which was odd because he had 3 small children. He did not want to go thru chemo again and he had this "it's going to get me eventually, so why fight it" type of attitude.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Sounds like Vicky. She had a host of health problems, had been to the hospital and doctor five or six times in the last month alone. I think she was just tired of fighting. She couldn't even make it to the bathroom downstairs and couldn't make it up maybe six stairs to take a shower. I called the paramedics out multiple times in the same time frame because she would fall and not be able to get off the floor. It took three of them and they're all big, strong, younger guys.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That sounds similar to what happened to one of my friends/co-workers back in 2016. He was diagnosed with the disease and had surgery to remove most of his liver. After a few months the cancer came back so he went back into the hospital for a second time. I went to visit him on a Thursday afternoon and texted with him on Saturday. Late Monday night his wife called and told me that he passed away.

I wash shocked that it happened so fast because he was always putting on a brave face and joking even when you knew he was in bad shape. I guess that was his way of trying to lighten the mood and ease everyone's concerns.

In his case we think he kind of just gave up, which was odd because he had 3 small children. He did not want to go thru chemo again and he had this "it's going to get me eventually, so why fight it" type of attitude.
In the past I judged people for not wanting chemo or just giving up. After going through it up close I don't blame them or have one bad thought towards them for that. It is crazy how my perspective has changed.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Yeah, in some cases you're just prolonging the inevitable. I do have one neighbor that went through it awhile back and it took awhile for her hair to grow back in but it's been a couple of years.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'm not mentioned because we weren't legally married and her family who are handling services weren't sure how to include me. I'm cool with that, I don't need recognition anyway.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Well, just got back from the service and after all that, it's time for a beer. Fvck it, it's 5:49 someplace...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Well, just got back from the service and after all that, it's time for a beer. Fvck it, it's 5:49 someplace...
Rock it. Do what you got to do. I may join you tonight with a nice brew or two.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I’ll join you, brother.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
So glad to get out of that black suit when it's fricking 90 degrees out. I probably sweated away five pounds of water weight.

Update: Beer #2...

Top Bottom