The comeback trail: 2019 and beyond...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
All these posts are one of the reasons it's one of the only sites I visit almost daily. Been crying a lot lately and my poor dog is freaked out because he was always at her side and doesn't know WTF is going on...
This is a good group of guys. And, you can damn sure bet that the sentiments being passed along here are genuine. Anything you need, you let us know.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
DLK, so sorry to read the awful news.

There are no words.

All I can tell you is that I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope that God gives you some sort of strength and peace at a time like this.

Obviously one is limited in what they can do through a medium like this, but if there is anything that anyone can offer you even if it's just a late night chat, don't hesitate to reach out.

Hang in there, bud.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your loved one. I very recently lost a family member to cancer, too. I can't say that I know how you're feeling, because I don't. I can only say that I understand the sorrow, the anger, the confusion, and sense of loss you are feeling right now.

The best advice I could give in a time like this is take some time for yourself in the near future. Once all the family services are past and the visits and phone calls are done, that's when it really hits home. The FOREVER of it all. I suggest taking a couple days just to yourself. Do some of the things that you two enjoyed together, and instead of surrounding yourself in sadness, make an effort to be HAPPY. Let it be your very own celebration of her life with you. Be happy for the time you two had together. Be happy knowing her suffering is at an end. Be happy in the knowledge that you'll be together again.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Right now, her family has to take care of everything since we weren't actually married. I have no legal recourse and am not even sure where I'll be living in a couple, few months because this was a two income household and once her banks find out, the accounts we shared will probably be frozen.

Shit just happened too fast...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Right now, her family has to take care of everything since we weren't actually married. I have no legal recourse and am not even sure where I'll be living in a couple, few months because this was a two income household and once her banks find out, the accounts we shared will probably be frozen.

Shit just happened too fast...
Sorry to hear about that. Tough enough to deal with a loss much less when family issues erupt because of it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If the bank accounts are joint accounts and you are an authorized account holder on the signature card, you should be able to continue usuage of the account(s)

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I know but once the banks receive notifications of her death, those accounts will probably be locked down.

I did take $3,500 out of one account and transfer it to my personal account so if I hit the road and head back east, I have some funds until I find work back there.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I know but once the banks receive notifications of her death, those accounts will probably be locked down.

I did take $3,500 out of one account and transfer it to my personal account so if I hit the road and head back east, I have some funds until I find work back there.
You have access to the entire balances of any account you are an authorized signature on. Use your own descretion as to when and how much you wish to withdraw.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

At least in Texas if you live together for 7 years you are considered common law married, and all of the marriage perks come with it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
At least in Texas if you live together for 7 years you are considered common law married, and all of the marriage perks come with it.
Even if construed as common law the bank accounts are governed by authorized signatures.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
A common myth is that if you live with someone for seven years, then you automatically create a common law marriage. ... Common law marriage occurs when a couple lives together for a certain number of years (one year in most states), holds themselves out as husband and wife, and intends to be married.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Did she have a Testament? At least in Mexico that would be what could affect your ability to access the accounts and if they're joined accounts only if it becomes litigious. To say someone else is heir to her accounts and asks for his/her part.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
[MENTION=188]DLK150[/MENTION] I'm sorry I'm late responding to this thread. I'm so very sorry for your loss. Let us know if you need anything.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Common law marriage isn't recognized in Indiana.

Her sisters went to the funeral home to make arrangements today. We went through her will today and found out I'm executor of her estate as of a couple of years ago, which I did not know to be honest. Must have done it without my knowledge.

This has just been a lot of shit to process in the last few days.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Oh and once the banks receive notice of her death, they will freeze her accounts. I did transfer $3,500 from a joint account we had to a bank where I'm the sole account holder so it can't be touched.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Her sisters and I went through her will and other papers today. She had enough life insurance to cover funeral costs and evidently left me $25K in life insurance that I wasn't aware of. That must have been done without my knowledge.

It will be enough to travel back east to the tristate area and get settled until I can find work there. Looking to sell my pickup too, I could probably get at least $9,000 for it. Paid $12,000, eleven years old and still has less than 140K miles on it. Love the damn thing but I don't need more than one vehicle.

data

Forbes #1
Her sisters and I went through her will and other papers today. She had enough life insurance to cover funeral costs and evidently left me $25K in life insurance that I wasn't aware of. That must have been done without my knowledge.

It will be enough to travel back east to the tristate area and get settled until I can find work there. Looking to sell my pickup too, I could probably get at least $9,000 for it. Paid $12,000, eleven years old and still has less than 140K miles on it. Love the damn thing but I don't need more than one vehicle.
Sorry if I missed it...Out of curiosity, why not stay in Indiana and why tristate area in particular?

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Sorry if I missed it...Out of curiosity, why not stay in Indiana and why tristate area in particular?
Grew up in NJ, most of my family and personal friends are in the area. Brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, great nieces and nephews, old classmates from the 70s, etc. Taxes aren't quite as oppressive as in NY/NJ either in PA. My two sisters that live in NJ both pay around $8,000 a year just in property taxes.

Eastern PA, NJ, downstate NY and so on. Indiana is cheaper but it's not where the people I care about are now.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Really sorry for your loss and the unfortunate trials and tribulations that seem to be adding to the sorrow. Not much I can really say aside from I hope you can again find happiness and joy in this fickle life.

Top Bottom