The Hurricane Thread...

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Anyone have an idea of how these storms work?

I'm trying to understand who all is in the danger zone for the worst weather.

They say the eye of this storm is roughly 30 miles and that the storm will produce hurricane conditions for anyone within 50 miles of the eye.

So does that mean that you want to be at least 80 miles from the eye of the storm if you're hoping to not get the worst of it?

D

Deuce

Anyone have an idea of how these storms work?

I'm trying to understand who all is in the danger zone for the worst weather.

They say the eye of this storm is roughly 30 miles and that the storm will produce hurricane conditions for anyone within 50 miles of the eye.

So does that mean that you want to be at least 80 miles from the eye of the storm if you're hoping to not get the worst of it?
Yes, but even getting hit with the "not worst part" of a Cat 5 is going to inflict severe damage. The backend of the storm after the eye is always somewhat weaker, but it tends to cause most damage because people were always stupid enough to start taking things down during the eye thinking the storm was over.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yes, but even getting hit with the "not worst part" of a Cat 5 is going to inflict severe damage. The backend of the storm after the eye is always somewhat weaker, but it tends to cause most damage because people were always stupid enough to start taking things down during the eye thinking the storm was over.
Oh, I would imagine....just trying to see if I understand how far the worst of the storm extends.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mass panic is already underway, even in Charlotte.

I literally got the last two cases of water from the Circle K on my way home.

Half of my day at work was in meetings with how we would handle facilities closing Tuesday and Wednesday and how we would pay our people next Friday.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Half of my day at work was in meetings with how we would handle facilities closing Tuesday and Wednesday and how we would pay our people next Friday.
Next to go will be the gas.

Where is Charlotte exactly? If you're in central or eastward NC, you should be ok.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Hell make em row to the office to get their pay?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
My brother-in-law in Tampa made it out to Georgia and is headed to Tennessee, but my sister-in-law who is only 22 miles west from the coast in Ft. Lauderdale is sticking it out.

She is nuts.

She's never been through one of these and I think that if she truly knew what the entire experience of not just riding out a storm but also the miserable aftermath was like, she would have left.

I'm praying for her and everyone else in Florida, but my guess is that after this is over, this will be the last time she ever sits through one of these.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Irma's track now has it going up the west coast of Florida, through Naples and Tampa Bay. My area of Miami looks like it will be clipped some but to a much lesser extent than originally expected. Of course things could change but the European model, which has been far and away the most accurate of all the hurricane tracking models, has Irma remaining to the west.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Next to go will be the gas.

Where is Charlotte exactly? If you're in central or eastward NC, you should be ok.
It is sort of in the middle.

But still, even today, there were still people here who were freaking out.

There still is no water or bread in the grocery store. :doh

Glad to see you and fam made it out.

D

Deuce

The storm isn't going to hit us til tomorrow night, but I'm starting early. All the prep is done and I'm 4 deep on Stella.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Unless the storm turns it will miss most of Florida. It has been on the same direction for two days.

Top Bottom