Cord Cutting

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Been thinking of getting rid of DirecTV for a while, even though the real only reason to keep it is for Sunday Ticket.

All I know is my family is spending waaaay too much on entertainment. Between having HBO, Netflix, AmazonPrime and Hulu, we tend to have enough to keep ourselves occupied most of the time.

Only concern is local channels with an antenna, live TV and of course football.

Has anyone cut the cord completely and still been able to get all the Cowboys games?

I know most are televised nationally. But there are some that are not and due to local constraints (Panthers conflicts for me), they are not televised. It is usually only three or four of the sixteen games, but after Catholic Radioing for a few years, I have vowed I will never go back. Plus I love the Redzone channel.

I got an Amazon Fire Stick recently and "jail broke" it. It is great for TV shows, movies etc.

Now the next step is live TV and ultimately ditching DirecTV.

Just curious about everyone else's experiences.

data

Forbes #1
How many Cowboys game do you anticipate not getting at home without Sunday Ticket? What you going to do for these games?

Sunday Ticket is irreplaceable for me. On the other hand, can't you just share Amazon, Netflix and Hulu passwords with a buddy?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I could probably sever the cable system since I live in the Dallas area. I can't recall the last time I wasn't able to see the game live on a local channel.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I could probably sever the cable system since I live in the Dallas area. I can't recall the last time I wasn't able to see the game live on a local channel.
Well. That is a great help. Thanks!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
How many Cowboys game do you anticipate not getting at home without Sunday Ticket? What you going to do for these games?

Sunday Ticket is irreplaceable for me. On the other hand, can't you just share Amazon, Netflix and Hulu passwords with a buddy?
That is kind of the point. Three or four games will be conflicted by the Panthers game. I have yet to sit down and discover the true conflicts.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Pretty sure you need to talk to [MENTION=2]dallen[/MENTION]. I seem to recall him mentioning that he did.

My co-worker has jailbreak an Amazon fire stick and gets everything so he says. Local TV from everywhere so I assume you could get any football games you want.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been thinking of getting rid of DirecTV for a while, even though the real only reason to keep it is for Sunday Ticket.

All I know is my family is spending waaaay too much on entertainment. Between having HBO, Netflix, AmazonPrime and Hulu, we tend to have enough to keep ourselves occupied most of the time.

Only concern is local channels with an antenna, live TV and of course football.

Has anyone cut the cord completely and still been able to get all the Cowboys games?

I know most are televised nationally. But there are some that are not and due to local constraints (Panthers conflicts for me), they are not televised. It is usually only three or four of the sixteen games, but after Catholic Radioing for a few years, I have vowed I will never go back. Plus I love the Redzone channel.

I got an Amazon Fire Stick recently and "jail broke" it. It is great for TV shows, movies etc.

Now the next step is live TV and ultimately ditching DirecTV.

Just curious about everyone else's experiences.
I live in Missouri and there were like 2 games last year I didn't get and one of them was the Browns game. Which I watched at a bar.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That is kind of the point. Three or four games will be conflicted by the Panthers game. I have yet to sit down and discover the true conflicts.
I know of a few people that did it and it worked out for games somehow. They lived about (outside of Texas).

midswat

... soon
I had it from 2001 to 2014. Cut the cord.

Like you said, most games are televised. The ones that aren't you can usually find them being streamed online somewhere. Used to think it was a must have. Don't miss it at all. That said my affinity for the team has also wained.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Can you get an app for the Dallas channels if you have a smart tv or on your computer? I can get apps for tv channels all over the country if I wanted to watch some of them.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Pretty sure you need to talk to [MENTION=2]dallen[/MENTION]. I seem to recall him mentioning that he did.

My co-worker has jailbreak an Amazon fire stick and gets everything so he says. Local TV from everywhere so I assume you could get any football games you want.
I got a Fire Stick this past Christmas and was able to watch some random NFL games on it.

There's a couple of Apps that I mainly used. The main and most popular one is Kodi. Within my Kodi app there's some sort of add-on called "ccloud TV" which allows you to watch live TV. Not all channels are loaded on there but a lot of the basic cable type channels and network TV channels (ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC) are on there.

The few games that I watched through ccloud TV were very clear with minimal buffering. The only drawback is the network TV channels were from random areas. IIRC there were usually 2-3 links for each of the network channels. I'd click on one of the CBS links and it may be the Denver market. I'd click on the other CBS link and it may be the NY market showing the Jets game.

There's another app that I use occasionally that's called SPMC. It's completely separate from Kodi but also usable on the Fire Stick. It's difficult finding a quality game on this one. It's basically the same thing as clicking on one of those links in Reddit for the game streams. Some trial and error with occasional buffering.

midswat

... soon
GTFO. Seriously?

This is the first I've ever heard of this.
Yeah, you see it's just that I really dislike Garrett and.... oh wait, were you being sarcastic?

Apologies. I felt my bringing it up was relevant. When I was homer mcfanboy I never wanted to not have directv and went to respectable lengths to keep it - including cutting down trees in my yard that blocked the satellite window etc. Since I'm not as big a diehard I don't mind missing 3-4 games a year, especially when so many of our games are prime time and the ones missed are vs Cleveland or other bland matchups.

Like booze said, were in the Panthers market so that conflicts sometimes, but it seems like most panther games are 1oclock kickoffs while Dallas is the later game. And again, you can find the games online to stream.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Do you guys just not like going to sports bars for the few games a year that aren't national?

I'm in north Texas where every game is on OTA TV, but I still watch almost every game with buddies at a bar somewhere. I think that's more fun than watching by myself, but I guess if you have kids, etc maybe you can't do that.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Do you guys just not like going to sports bars for the few games a year that aren't national?

I'm in north Texas where every game is on OTA TV, but I still watch almost every game with buddies at a bar somewhere. I think that's more fun than watching by myself, but I guess if you have kids, etc maybe you can't do that.
I'm in Florida and get all but about 2-3 Cowboys games per year.

I'll usually go to the sports bar to watch those few games. It's a much cheaper trade off than spending $300 for Sunday Ticket.

Top Bottom