The Healthy Food Thread

data

Forbes #1
Went grocery shopping and, to be honest, was baffled by the choices due to all the healthier options and higher prices. Ultimately, this can more than double the grocery bill. Organic and cage-free eggs ($8) were twice as much as the regular dozen. Then there were cage-free chicken eggs, but not labeled organic and then organic eggs that weren't from cage free chickens. WTF.

Of the following food 'truths', what do you subscribe to and what's bullshit?

Organic is healthier
Aspartame causes cancer
Cage-free is healthier
Bottled water vs tap
Stevia is healthier than artificial sweeteners and sugar
high fructose corn syrup is unhealthy
iodized salt
Gluten-free is healthier
Farmers markets/buying local produce better than shipped from out-of-state
wild fish vs farm-raised fish

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Pretty much buy into all of it but just can't afford to. We do eat gluten free (when the wife cooks) because the wife has celiac. She can cook so it all tastes good!

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The Healthy Food Thread

Kbrown

Not So New Member
If you don't have a specific medical condition that isn't some made up hipster nonsense, most of this I consider snake oil.

The non-GMO craze is one I specifically don't buy at all.

Cotton

Staff member
If you don't have a specific medical condition that isn't some made up hipster nonsense, most of this I consider snake oil.

That's about where I land on it, too.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I try to limit my family's intake of processed foods and cook with very little salt.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Pretty much. The only difference between 8 dollar eggs and regular eggs, is that they appeal to the galactically stupid.

Cotton

Staff member
Pretty much. The only difference between 8 dollar eggs and regular eggs, is that they appeal to the galactically stupid.
Sir, I think you mean "monumentally stupid".

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Well well well...I'm reserving my place in this thread. I am gong to be out most of the day but I've got mush to say about the issue. I'll mainly be here to set the record straight on how everyone is wrong and I am right.

dallen

Senior Tech
From a health standpoint I think pretty much all of that is bullshit except the iodized salt. It is pretty well established that iodine prevents thyroid problems. The only other one I really put any stock in at all is the cage free eggs, but that isn't because I think they're healthier. I just think they taste better. The yolks are richer. I do wonder about high fructose corn syrup, but I don't think anything has been proven. If you give me the option of something sweetened with sugar instead I'll take it, but again that's just because I think it tastes better.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The agriculture, animal and food industry, in general, has drastically changed in the last 3 decades or so. I'm talking drastically.

The difference between organically grown food and your high production farming makes all of the difference. The first main difference is what they do to grow industrialized crops is how they fertilize the food and what is done to the soil. Can you grow crops quickly and cheaply with nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium (NPK)? Sure you can, you can get big, beautiful fruits and veggies with the standard fertilizer but what about the 49 other nutrients that are produced naturally in slower growing, organic crops? Those other nutrients are naturally occurring for the benefit of humans for the purpose of health and healing. You don't get those at the same quantity or quality in conventionally farmed foods. One of the main things that you lose is antioxidants, which slows the oxidation process of your tissues and fights disease and cancer. Food was purposed for healing and disease prevention. We use food mostly to fill our stomachs and find enjoyment rather than for nutrition.

The other main problem is herbicides and pesticides. Those can be found in conventional crops up to 100 times more than organically grown food. The problem with that this toxins are no doubt causing disease. Our immune systems are not able to deal with things, such as, rapidly dividing cells (cancer) because our livers are toxic. Your average American (over 87% of us) is severely deficient in vitamin D, a great deal of us have fatty liver disease. It is so common that it is considered normal now. Cadmium, which is a heavy metal found in pesticides, is the same toxin found in cigarettes, is greatly damaging to the liver and kidneys. We are basically killing ourselves with all of the processed foods that we eat. With all of the so-called advancements we've made, cancer is increasing, heart disease is increasing, diabetes is increasing and we are getting sicker.

Don't get me started on the meats that we eat. That is where things begin to get even sketchier.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Salt is safe and needed? Ha! That's laughable.

Do you know how much salt we eat in all of our ingredients?

Read your food labels. If you can't pronounce it, it isn't food and wasn't meant for your body.

Stuff that comes out of the ground and has parents, if it is properly grown, is good for you. The rest is generally poison.

Cotton

Staff member
The agriculture, animal and food industry, in general, has drastically changed in the last 3 decades or so. I'm talking drastically.

The difference between organically grown food and your high production farming makes all of the difference. The first main difference is what they do to grow industrialized crops is how they fertilize the food and what is done to the soil. Can you grow crops quickly and cheaply with nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium (NPK)? Sure you can, you can get big, beautiful fruits and veggies with the standard fertilizer but what about the 49 other nutrients that are produced naturally in slower growing, organic crops? Those other nutrients are naturally occurring for the benefit of humans for the purpose of health and healing. You don't get those at the same quantity or quality in conventionally farmed foods. One of the main things that you lose is antioxidants, which slows the oxidation process of your tissues and fights disease and cancer. Food was purposed for healing and disease prevention. We use food mostly to fill our stomachs and find enjoyment rather than for nutrition.

The other main problem is herbicides and pesticides. Those can be found in conventional crops up to 100 times more than organically grown food. The problem with that this toxins are no doubt causing disease. Our immune systems are not able to deal with things, such as, rapidly dividing cells (cancer) because our livers are toxic. Your average American (over 87% of us) is severely deficient in vitamin D, a great deal of us have fatty liver disease. It is so common that it is considered normal now. Cadmium, which is a heavy metal found in pesticides, is the same toxin found in cigarettes, is greatly damaging to the liver and kidneys. We are basically killing ourselves with all of the processed foods that we eat. With all of the so-called advancements we've made, cancer is increasing, heart disease is increasing, diabetes is increasing and we are getting sicker.

Don't get me started on the meats that we eat. That is where things begin to get even sketchier.
Fucking hippie.

Kbrown

Not So New Member

Read your food labels. If you can't pronounce it, it isn't food and wasn't meant for your body.

Stuff that comes out of the ground and has parents, if it is properly grown, is good for you. The rest is generally poison.
So everything is farm to table, no science involved... we prevent famine how?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Salt is bad for you if you find a block out in a cow pasture and it has a little cup worn on the top. Even when it feels compelling don't lick it.

Top Bottom