Must See Movies

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Joker isn't interesting enough without Batman. See: Solo.
Solo was the worst Star Wars movie. Maybe by far. That said, I think it was possible to make a good Solo movie if the writing and story were way better. Instead they were hell bent on making an origin story and cramming in everything that's been mentioned anout his past. Just make a good movie and it can work.

I agree with you that Joker has a similar feel. I think it can work though, if the writing is good. Better casting helps too (the actor that played Solo was awful and that was a big part of the problem also).

This appears to be modelled off of the Ledger joker, which is good because it's easily the best joker. I don't feel the same vibe with this one so we'll see.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I agree, where is Jim Carey when you need him...
I think Joaquin Phoenix fits the Joker profile better than Jim Carrey does. I would much rather watch Phoenix as the Joker thanmCarrey. His over exaggerated style is great for comedy. But I think it would get annoying in a hurry with a dark, maniacal character like the Joker.

I guess it depends on the type of movie you're going for. I liked Jack Nicholson's joker, and his had a comedic flair to it. I could see Carrey doing that one.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think Joaquin Phoenix fits the Joker profile better than Jim Carrey does. I would much rather watch Phoenix as the Joker thanmCarrey. His over exaggerated style is great for comedy. But I think it would get annoying in a hurry with a dark, maniacal character like the Joker.

I guess it depends on the type of movie you're going for. I liked Jack Nicholson's joker, and his had a comedic flair to it. I could see Carrey doing that one.
My avatar is not happy with you right at this moment.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Joker isn't interesting enough without Batman. See: Solo.
Actually...Batman is nothing without his villains. Joker is far and away the most interesting comic villain of all time. We follow origin stories very closely or hero's, it will be nice to see the origins of a villain...and not some rushed bullshit. Joker can carry a movie, not even a question.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
My avatar is not happy with you right at this moment.
You think Carrey would make a good Joker? He has his area of expertise. I don't think this is it. Unless, like I said, they were aiming for a more comedic over dark Joker.

For an example, staying in the same movie theme, I love Tommy Lee Jones as an actor. I didn't like his Two Face. It just didn't fit him. And I liked Carrey as the Riddler. That character fit him very well.

(overall, not a very good batman movie, though.)

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will pretend I didn't see this...he would be a terrible Joker.
Yeah, I was joking. Literally. His Joker would be god awful. Admittedly I was thinking about him as the Riddler when I made the comment, which I thought was bad. I actually think this looks pretty good. I definitely prefer a darker Joker.

Cotton

Staff member
You think Carrey would make a good Joker? He has his area of expertise. I don't think this is it. Unless, like I said, they were aiming for a more comedic over dark Joker.

For an example, staying in the same movie theme, I love Tommy Lee Jones as an actor. I didn't like his Two Face. It just didn't fit him. And I liked Carrey as the Riddler. That character fit him very well.

(overall, not a very good batman movie, though.)
I was just joking because he is in my avatar. I am a huge Carrey fan. I think he has a very broad scope of acting besides comedy. (See: The Majestic and The Truman show) I do not, however, think his skills would fit this part. The Joker is a very dark character and I don’t think he could pull it off well.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, I was joking. Literally. His Joker would be god awful. Admittedly I was thinking about him as the Riddler when I made the comment, which I thought was bad. I actually think this looks pretty good. I definitely prefer a darker Joker.
Now let’s slow down with the “god awful” stuff. I think Phoenix is better suited for this part, but I absolutely do not think Carrey would be god awful at it. I will Smitty this thread to hell and back if you want to fight about it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I was just joking because he is in my avatar. I am a huge Carrey fan. I think he has a very broad scope of acting besides comedy. (See: The Majestic and The Truman show) I do not, however, think his skills would fit this part. The Joker is a very dark character and I don’t think he could pull it off well.
He made a dark movie recently in Poland called Dark Crimes. It was very dark almost excessively so.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Jim Carrey did kind of jump the shark, but him riding an ostrich into the big battle at the end of Ace Ventura 2 is still hilarious to me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He actually creeps me out to watch now. Just a weird dude, not really sure how I ever found him funny except I was a child back then.
He was a pretty great comedic actor until about the time he did Man On The Moon. That seemed to send him into weirdo land.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I dig some of his older stuff, but he just nuts now. And he hates me anyhow so it's no big loss. He hates all Trump supporters. Kinda like Bipo.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Just got done watching The Highwaymen on netflix. Highly recommend.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Going to see Pet Sematary today...heard good things.

Top Bottom