Must See Movies

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I just finished watching Moonlight. I wasn't overly impressed with it.

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a pretty good movie, but Academy Award Best Picture worthy???? I don't think so.

I just don't get the buzz.

Also, Mahershala Ali won the Academy Award for best supporting actor. He was only in the movie for the first 20-25 minutes.
My wife used the free Redbox on this and we watched it.

I came away wondering how in the hell this was considered the best picture of the year.

I thought La La Land was silly as shit too.

This movie tackled some subjects, but it just seemed awkward.

What were the other best picture nominees again?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This looks very good.

I just wonder about the soundtrack.

To me, a great movie is always completed by the soundtrack.

Vangelis' soundtrack on the original was top of the line and set the tone for the whole damn movie.

I dunno who is doing it this time, but it better be on point or the entire mood of the movie will be lost on me.

midswat

... soon
Neither of these are new movies, but I stopped at a Redbox the other night and took out the following:

Masterminds
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2461150/

This movie was terrible. Decent cast. A lot of very funny people in it. But their best efforts didn't translate. It was far to slap-sticky, over the top, and just generally very poorly done. Which is disappointing because the true story of which it was supposed to be based seems like it had the potential to be a decent movie in and of itself. But whoever put this thing together.... I can't imagine they looked at the finished product and was satisfied with themselves.

It should be noted that I am a big fan of ridiculously over the top type comedies like Anchorman and Super Troopers. I'd say they might've been trying to be in that mold, but idk... it just wasn't funny at all.

Manchester By the Sea
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4034228/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Very slow. Very boring. Very mundane. I was being stubborn, trying to force my way through it, but had to quit. I guess the gist of the movie was supposed to be how this man returned to his home town and had to face his demons and his tragic past, but the first hour plus the movie was focusing on how boring and mundane his life was, which translated to a bad movie. There were literally scene after scene of just his drab awkward exchanges with people. It was terrible.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I enjoyed the one liners and comedic tone of GOTG2.

I didn't enjoy Kurt Russell's character, though. Kind of a lame villain if you ask me.
Same. Kurt Russell's character was really lame. Also not sure what I would think of this movie had I not seen the first one. It is getting some benefit of the doubt and probably a little more credit than it deserves based on the first one, IMO. It was OK but not that great.

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Anyone see Colossal? Pretty good. Strange premise but it worked. Some solid performances from Hathaway and Sudeikis.

vince

Not So New Member
Looking forward to Alien Covenant but only because I have some unanswered questions from Prometheus.

vince

Not So New Member
I wonder how they will tie in with each other.
Not sure. There's talk about how everything from Prometheus is explained at the beginning of the movie and the rest is pretty much Alien again.

Not having read anything about Prometheus prior to watching it, I was thrown for a loop when the Alien looking monster appeared at the end. I had no idea it was tied to Alien.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure. There's talk about how everything from Prometheus is explained at the beginning of the movie and the rest is pretty much Alien again.

Not having read anything about Prometheus prior to watching it, I was thrown for a loop when the Alien looking monster appeared at the end. I had no idea it was tied to Alien.
Yeah I liked Prometheus but then with the Alien creature at the end I started to wonder how in the hell it tied in to all of the Alien movies. So I'm guessing Alien Covenant is taking place after Prometheus in a time line then?

Carp

DCC 4Life
A massive let down compared to what?

The first one?

Well, nobody expected that, so it is to be expected.

Lookit, this one had every chance to suck and just be a filler towards Infinity Wars just like the second Thor movie was a waste of time to the Avengers.

It wasn't.

Get the stick out of your ass and appreciate, Carphalen.
It should have been called...GOTG: Daddy Issues

Featuring Pacman

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yeah I liked Prometheus but then with the Alien creature at the end I started to wonder how in the hell it tied in to all of the Alien movies. So I'm guessing Alien Covenant is taking place after Prometheus in a time line then?
It is after Prometheus, but i am not sure they can make a prequel that suits fans of the first movie. I liked the idea of the Engineers, who created man...this will be a clear picture of who created the aliens. If you saw Prometheus then it is pretty clear who created the aliens. There is a prologue that is out now that shows without a doubt who did it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I just watched Manchester by Sea yesterday...and caught Moonlight a couple months ago. They both kind of ended ambiguously. I don't always need a clean ending, but I am not there to interpret...I am there to be entertained...so take the thinking out on my part and tell me how that shit ended.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
The only way I'd see the new Alien movie is if Danny McBride was in Kenny Powers character.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is after Prometheus, but i am not sure they can make a prequel that suits fans of the first movie. I liked the idea of the Engineers, who created man...this will be a clear picture of who created the aliens. If you saw Prometheus then it is pretty clear who created the aliens. There is a prologue that is out now that shows without a doubt who did it.
Yeah just watched the prologue once you mentioned this. Definitely looks interesting. I was never a big "Alien" guy but Prometheus definitely brought me into the fold.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yeah just watched the prologue once you mentioned this. Definitely looks interesting. I was never a big "Alien" guy but Prometheus definitely brought me into the fold.
I just like movie franchises that have a legacy feel to them...there are backstorys and history that are still to be uncovered. Star Wars really built that with "I am your father"...and now they have more to reveal with Rey and Snoke.

vince

Not So New Member
The character Elizabeth Shaw resembles Ellen Ripley. I wonder if that's intentional.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Prometheus as a stand alone was great, but it promised answers...and only opened up more questions.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Prometheus as a stand alone was great, but it promised answers...and only opened up more questions.
Yeah it opened up a shit ton of questions and frankly didn't answer much in my opinion. But I really liked it and it's probably the only reason I'm interested in Alien Covenant.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yeah it opened up a shit ton of questions and frankly didn't answer much in my opinion. But I really liked it and it's probably the only reason I'm interested in Alien Covenant.
The only tie to it is the prologue...to my understanding...after that it is just monster fest 17.

Top Bottom