Must See Movies

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I am about halfway through The Interview, and so far it very well could be the worst movie I have ever seen.

Terrible.

Cotton

Staff member
Finished it, and it went from worst movie ever to just okay. Some chuckles, but overall it just wasn't very good. Maybe it's partly because of the bullshit surrounding it, but to me it just wasn't all that.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Finished it, and it went from worst movie ever to just okay. Some chuckles, but overall it just wasn't very good. Maybe it's partly because of the bullshit surrounding it, but to me it just wasn't all that.
I've never seen it but it was probably because Seth Rogan was in it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I liked it but it's probably not a movie I'm going to go back and watch multiple times.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Rented Neighbors...it was funny, worth a watch.

Went to see Foxcatcher...wow, that movie had some amazing performances. Tatum, Carrell, and Ruffalo were all outstanding. Tatum and Carrel were transformed and just so impressive. It is fairly depressing though.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Took my Dad and went to see American Sniper. Dad was a 24 year Air Force vet and it moved him so I feel it was pretty good. I give it an easy 4 plus out of 5. Cooper was pretty darn good.

dallen

Senior Tech
Watched Boyhood last night. I really enjoyed it. It didn't really have a lot of overarching narrative - like most childhoods. It was more like a series of peaks over 12 years into a boy's life as he grows into a man. If that doesn't appeal you then you probably won't like it. The technical challenges of filming it are crazy. I heard that Linklater had it arranged so that if he died then Ethan Hawke had to finish it.

Cotton

Staff member
Watched Boyhood last night. I really enjoyed it. It didn't really have a lot of overarching narrative - like most childhoods. It was more like a series of peaks over 12 years into a boy's life as he grows into a man. If that doesn't appeal you then you probably won't like it. The technical challenges of filming it are crazy. I heard that Linklater had it arranged so that if he died then Ethan Hawke had to finish it.
Yeah, I thought it really good as well. Some serious time-commitment by the actors, though. I'm sure it was a huge challenge filming it.

Cotton

Staff member
Holy shit, American Sniper was incredible. I don't think I have ever witnessed a crowd so quiet as they left a theater. Just amazing.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Went to see Selma today. Very good movie.

It opens your eyes up to some of the other key members of the civil rights movement other than MLK and Abernathy. After I got home I spent a good hour reading through Wikipedia and other articles to get smart on some of the less celebrated civil rights heroes.

I thought they did a great job showing the strategic approach of SCLC during the movement. It was like a real life game of chess. I also enjoyed the back and forth between King and LBJ.

The events from this movie happened approximately 50 years ago. In the grand scheme of things that wasn't that long ago. It still amazes me that just 50 years ago it was considered okay to treat people like that.

Blow up a church filled with 20-something black kids preparing for Sunday school......we'll just charge you with illegal possession of dynamite, fine you $100, and give you six months in jail.

Hell, that was one of the "harsher" penalties. In most cases people got off Scott free.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
As an aside, Michael Moore shows yet again he is a fucking moron.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I saw Inherent Vice over the weekend. I thought it was pretty good, but is probably getting overrated a bit by a lot of critics because PTA is a film geek darling and Pynchon is a lit geek darling. It wasn't bad and there were some really good performances (Phoenix, Brolin, Waterston), but I wonder if a lot of people might just think that because of who wrote the book/who directed the movie that it must be amazing. I didn't find it to be amazing. And I wonder what people who didn't read the book will think of it because the storyline can be hard to follow at times.

To me it's definitely worth seeing if you are a fan of Pynchon and/or Paul Thomas Anderson. Some people will like it, others I'm sure will say that they didn't get it and that they were not that impressed. I can see both sides. I fall on the more positive side for sure but I do believe it is getting the benefit of the doubt from a lot of people. All that said, I wasn't overly impressed with The Big Lebowski after seeing it once and it took a second viewing a few years later for me to really appreciate it. I wonder if this movie will follow that same pattern for me.

D

Deuce

I saw Inherent Vice over the weekend. I thought it was pretty good, but is probably getting overrated a bit by a lot of critics because PTA is a film geek darling and Pynchon is a lit geek darling. It wasn't bad and there were some really good performances (Phoenix, Brolin, Waterston), but I wonder if a lot of people might just think that because of who wrote the book/who directed the movie that it must be amazing. I didn't find it to be amazing. And I wonder what people who didn't read the book will think of it because the storyline can be hard to follow at times.

To me it's definitely worth seeing if you are a fan of Pynchon and/or Paul Thomas Anderson. Some people will like it, others I'm sure will say that they didn't get it and that they were not that impressed. I can see both sides. I fall on the more positive side for sure but I do believe it is getting the benefit of the doubt from a lot of people. All that said, I wasn't overly impressed with The Big Lebowski after seeing it once and it took a second viewing a few years later for me to really appreciate it. I wonder if this movie will follow that same pattern for me.
Outside of some individual performances, I wasn't all that impressed. I didn't read the book, but I am a PTA fan. I wouldn't put this up there with Boogie Nights or Magnolia for sure.

Jiggyfly

Banned

I finally watched The Big Lebowski after years of hearing about it and knowing most of great lines.

As a whole it was an ok movie with great lines and characters but I don't know I was exspecting more and I love the Cohen brothers.

What about a second veiwing took it up a notch for you?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I finally watched The Big Lebowski after years of hearing about it and knowing most of great lines.

As a whole it was an ok movie with great lines and characters but I don't know I was exspecting more and I love the Cohen brothers.

The movie had been so built up by the time I saw it that it fell a little flat for me. I was a Coen brothers fan going into it too and had high expectations outside of all of the talk I was hearing about how great it was.

Initially I think I really just didn't care much for the Dude. It took a second viewing before I was sold on his character because the first time I thought he was kind of lame. After seeing it again some of the more subtle humor of the movie (certain lines that didn't hit me the first time), some of the supporting characters (Phillip Seymour Hoffman's character was great), etc. started to sink in for me and I got a lot more on board with the character the Dude.

I still don't hold the movie in quite as high regard as a lot of people, but I've come to appreciate it and I do think it's pretty good.

Last edited:

dallen

Senior Tech

EZ would have banned you for this

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

There is something wrong with you.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Has anyone tried Ultraflix? It is supposed to be something like Netflix but specializes in 4K programming.

Carl

RIP Brother
Watched A Most Violent Year. It's a bit subdued, but I really enjoyed it, especially the performance by the lead Oscar Isaac. Worth a watch.

D

Deuce

Never heard of Wild til I saw Reese Witherspoon got nominated for a bunch of awards for it. Watched it yesterday and it is solid. How someone can do an 1,100 mile journey through the various terrains alone is stunning.

Top Bottom