Must See Movies

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
[MENTION=38]E_D_Guapo[/MENTION]

I've only ever read a few of Pynchon's short stories and The Crying of Lot 49, which I really liked.

I've heard Inherent Vice is more accessible than some of his other novels, and I've thought about giving it a shot. I take it you'd recommend it?
Inherent Vice is very accessible, IMO. It's pretty goofy and when I first started reading it the kind of beach bum/hippie vernacular seemed a bit much to me, but I got used to it. I haven't read much of Pynchon's earlier writings (I've mostly tackled his epics like Gravity's Rainbow, Mason and Dixon, and Against the Day) but from what I understand Inherent Vice has more in common with those books.

It's kind of a noirish LA detective story except set in 1970 with a stoner beach bum detective rather than a hard-boiled, bourbon slugging private eye of 1930s noir. Someone wrote the line "The Big Lebowski meets The Big Sleep" and that is an excellent simplified description of what can be expected from this book. Well worth reading, IMO.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Wow. I can't think of the last show or movie I saw where Bean survives.
There is actually a website about that. Dontkillseanbean.com

dallen

Senior Tech
I just finished "The Martian" by Andy Weir. Great book which I highly recommend.

They are releasing it as a movie in 2015 with Matt Damon in the lead. The cast looks pretty great.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3659388/?ref_=nv_sr_1
I love that book. That looks like a good cast\director too. Watney is basically Will Hunting in space so I kinda love the Damon casting.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Anyone watch the new Planet of The Apes movie?

Worth an On Demand order or drive out to Redbox only?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Anyone watch the new Planet of The Apes movie?

Worth an On Demand order or drive out to Redbox only?
It's worth an On Demand order.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's aight. That's about it. Not as good as the first one.
I asked a specific question.

Worth a couple of bucks or three times that.

You suck with advice. I can kind of get the impression is not as good as the first one.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I asked a specific question.

Worth a couple of bucks or three times that.

You suck with advice. I can kind of get the impression is not as good as the first one.
Dammit you are so high maintenance. I say it is worth the 3 bucks.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If you like mockumentaries like This Is Spinal Tap, etc., then check out What We Do In The Shadows.

D

Deuce

I had pretty high expectations for Whiplash based on all the positive talk I've heard about it and I don't think it disappointed. JK Simmons has played roles like this before, but he delivers every time.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I had pretty high expectations for Whiplash based on all the positive talk I've heard about it and I don't think it disappointed. JK Simmons has played roles like this before, but he delivers every time.
Simmons is a very underrated actor he delivers every time.

D

Deuce

Been a good week catching up on movies, saw Birdman today. Another really well done movie and the Oscar buzz for Keaton is deserved.

Up next are Imitation Game and American Sniper.

Top Bottom