The Home Improvement Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I bet women really like to use those! :unsure
This is either a sexual innuendo or a shot at me. I will just go ahead and believe it is the former.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
This is either a sexual innuendo or a shot at me. I will just go ahead and believe it is the former.
It would have been better innuendo had the picture come through as well. No shots taken my friend.

data

Forbes #1
Wooden fence for my home is 10 years old. Installed on cinder blocks, so not in peril of shifting soil. Wood losing its color and turning grey, but still standing straight up.

1. Too late to stain/paint/protect?
2. Does staining, painting, protecting effective truly extend the life of wood fences, or not worth the effort for just a little bit of extra time? If so, what do you recommend?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I just installed a new fence and I'm going to stain it. Also going to bleach the little bit on the other side of my house to match it. A buddy of mind bleached his old fence it and said it did in fact take the gray out of it so you can then add the stain.

I don't know how long it will last, but I want to change the color. That plain cedar is okay, but I want something a little darker.

Cotton

Staff member
Wooden fence for my home is 10 years old. Installed on cinder blocks, so not in peril of shifting soil. Wood losing its color and turning grey, but still standing straight up.

1. Too late to stain/paint/protect?
2. Does staining, painting, protecting effective truly extend the life of wood fences, or not worth the effort for just a little bit of extra time? If so, what do you recommend?
As long as the wood isn't already actively rotting, you can stain it. If it is rotting even just a little, you won't want to stain without taking other measures first because you would be trapping the moisture that is eating the wood inside and it will just continue to rot. And, yes, stain can preserve the life of the fence by a long time.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Pressure washing a wooden fence prior to staining will get the grey out.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Anyone available this weekend to help a brutha out?
Uh, I have plans to do some things that I gotta do so uh I'm really busy with stuff and other things.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Pressure washing a wooden fence prior to staining will get the grey out.
Yep. I wouldn't advise staining if the fence isn't power washed. It would be a waste of money.

midswat

... soon
Is there a plumber in the house?

I’m fairly handy at a lot of things but aside from minor things like replacing toilets et cetera, I’ve not messed with plumbing much ever. My master bedroom - the tub faucet and shower head both have a steady drip. Tub more steady.

I would assume there’s a gasket or something that might need to replaced if it was just one of them. But don’t know how likely both have bad gaskets. Am I on the wrong path or should I check something else first?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Is there a plumber in the house?

I’m fairly handy at a lot of things but aside from minor things like replacing toilets et cetera, I’ve not messed with plumbing much ever. My master bedroom - the tub faucet and shower head both have a steady drip. Tub more steady.

I would assume there’s a gasket or something that might need to replaced if it was just one of them. But don’t know how likely both have bad gaskets. Am I on the wrong path or should I check something else first?
What brand faucet do you have? Usually it is just a gasket but some use cartridges, which are pretty easy to install. Once you know what you have you can find a local Ferguson to get you the right products.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
If the cartridge in your shower fixture has gone out, it's sometimes less aggravating to just change out the fixture.

Cotton

Staff member
Sounds to me like a valve issue since both the faucet and showerhead are leaking.

midswat

... soon
If the cartridge in your shower fixture has gone out, it's sometimes less aggravating to just change out the fixture.
Finally got around to fixing this yesterday. It was an o-ring on the shower head and the cartridge. The cartridge was a pain in the ass because i couldn’t get it out. Broke in half, actually. I was a wary of how much force I used pulling on it because I didn’t want to damage and soldered joints in the piping. Didn’t want to turn a small problem into a big one with having to cut into walls, etc. Eventually it came out.

On to the next project, and loving it.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Finally got around to fixing this yesterday. It was an o-ring on the shower head and the cartridge. The cartridge was a pain in the ass because i couldn’t get it out. Broke in half, actually. I was a wary of how much force I used pulling on it because I didn’t want to damage and soldered joints in the piping. Didn’t want to turn a small problem into a big one with having to cut into walls, etc. Eventually it came out.

On to the next project, and loving it.
I'm sure there's a tool or method to removing those cartridges easily, but anytime I've had to deal with them there's lots of sweating, cussing, and near crying...so congrats on the successful plumbing venture.

Top Bottom