The Home Improvement Thread

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is this something an inexperienced person could do in a weekend? A month?
Depends how much work you want to put in. If you have a buddy or two who can chip in you should be able to get it all done in a weekend. Personally I think cement holds up a little better. The problem with pavers is that there is always some settling. You can minimize it by using a jumping jack or something to pack under them. Cement is what you already have and it will match up much better in my opinion. Of course it is kind of expensive to pour concrete so that's something to think about.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Depends how much work you want to put in. If you have a buddy or two who can chip in you should be able to get it all done in a weekend. Personally I think cement holds up a little better. The problem with pavers is that there is always some settling. You can minimize it by using a jumping jack or something to pack under them. Cement is what you already have and it will match up much better in my opinion. Of course it is kind of expensive to pour concrete so that's something to think about.
That's what the tamping is for. :unsure

Cotton

Staff member
Depends on the size of the area. If you dedicated all weekend to it, you could get it done in a weekend. But, more than likely a couple of weekends since you have never done it before. Keep in mind if you don't have a tiller or tamper you will have to rent one. Just factor that into your cost analysis when deciding to do it yourself or paying someone. I can tell you, it is hard on the back, but absolutely not impossible to accomplish yourself.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Pretty sure you could just plug the irrigation heads that you don't want to use anymore instead of moving it. I would think even an inexperienced person could do it in one weekend.

Rev

Staff member
I'm assuming it wasnt another 12x12 slab but something more manageable.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I have a cement slab as a back patio, about 12x12 or so, covered by a roof, but not screened in.

If I want to expand my patio into the yard further, what's the best way to do it? Cheapest? Easiest? Can I do any of it myself?

Further complicating matters is that I have a sprinkler system and the sprinkler heads are in the area that I'd like to expand my patio to include.

Can I easily dig up an area and lay bricks? Should I pour another concrete slab? Should I just pay someone?
Have you considered a wooden deck? I had pretty much the same thing you did behind my house when I bought it. (12X12 cement slab) My sliding back door had a step down to the patio. I dug and cemented in footings, and built a treated wooden deck over the top of the cement, about a foot above it to match up with the bottom of the door. Completed it over the course of 3 weekends, then sealed and stained it on the 4th weekend.

It's not that hard to do, if you wanted to tackle it yourself. Depending on the size of the deck you would want to build, it shouldn't be too overly expensive to build. Even if you hire it done. If you don't have much experience doing things like this, I'd recommend having it built. They would have it done in a few days. You could also do a composite deck. Looks like wood, but is more expensive. Less upkeep, though.

The nice thing about a wooden deck is you can have pretty much any design you want done. If it's close to the ground, you don't need railings. Can make steps down to the yard all around. Built in seating if you do rails, etc...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's what the tamping is for. :unsure
Yeah but those hand tampers are a joke. Rent a jumping jack I say, that's real man stuff.

But even with good compacting you're going to have some settling as rain hits and drips down in between the blocks.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
There is forming and trenching, then disposing of the extra dirt. You will need to haul it off or distribute it somewhere else. Next create the forms. Then the preparing for pouring the slab. There is the expansion joints to be installed. Then the mixing which will require renting a portable mixer. During the pour some one will need to pull the cement to the areas and then the tools to put the finish on the surface. There are other subtle things to be done such as leveling the forms and keeping the sides tamped for a smooth outer edge. Again pick option 3.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Oh. Did I mention the installation of rebar?

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah but those hand tampers are a joke. Rent a jumping jack I say, that's real man stuff.

But even with good compacting you're going to have some settling as rain hits and drips down in between the blocks.
Who said anything about a hand tamper? What you are calling a jumping jack we just call an electric tamper.

Cotton

Staff member
Have you considered a wooden deck? I had pretty much the same thing you did behind my house when I bought it. (12X12 cement slab) My sliding back door had a step down to the patio. I dug and cemented in footings, and built a treated wooden deck over the top of the cement, about a foot above it to match up with the bottom of the door. Completed it over the course of 3 weekends, then sealed and stained it on the 4th weekend.

It's not that hard to do, if you wanted to tackle it yourself. Depending on the size of the deck you would want to build, it shouldn't be too overly expensive to build. Even if you hire it done. If you don't have much experience doing things like this, I'd recommend having it built. They would have it done in a few days. You could also do a composite deck. Looks like wood, but is more expensive. Less upkeep, though.

The nice thing about a wooden deck is you can have pretty much any design you want done. If it's close to the ground, you don't need railings. Can make steps down to the yard all around. Built in seating if you do rails, etc...
If you can afford it, this is absolutely the way to go. Not only would you be able to design it exactly how you want it, but it is much easier to cover.

Cotton

Staff member
There is forming and trenching, then disposing of the extra dirt. You will need to haul it off or distribute it somewhere else. Next create the forms. Then the preparing for pouring the slab. There is the expansion joints to be installed. Then the mixing which will require renting a portable mixer. During the pour some one will need to pull the cement to the areas and then the tools to put the finish on the surface. There are other subtle things to be done such as leveling the forms and keeping the sides tamped for a smooth outer edge. Again pick option 3.
Don't forget about jitterbugging it.

Rev

Staff member
Sounds like LT can come do it for you.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who said anything about a hand tamper? What you are calling a jumping jack we just call an electric tamper.

Fair enough, I believe we are both referring to this type of machine. I remember my dad making me run one of these things when I was in highschool.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you can afford it, this is absolutely the way to go. Not only would you be able to design it exactly how you want it, but it is much easier to cover.
Yeah the only thing that may be a problem is if there is a door from the house and the door doesn't have clearance for it. You'd hate to have to make steps upwards from the home.

Cotton

Staff member

Fair enough, I believe we are both referring to this type of machine. I remember my dad making me run one of these things when I was in highschool.
Yep.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah the only thing that may be a problem is if there is a door from the house and the door doesn't have clearance for it. You'd hate to have to make steps upwards from the home.
Even then you can recess the steps to give you a landing before entering the house.

Top Bottom