Music Thread...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
One of the greatest covers ever.
That was a really strange arrangement. It was almost like Cash only knew one chord on the piano and they structured the entire orchestra to straight line the music. Then Cash sings the melody which doesn't mesh with the arrangement. Some folks thought it was genius but I wonder if it was just a way to induce Cash to do one more album.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That was a really strange arrangement. It was almost like Cash only knew one chord on the piano and they structured the entire orchestra to straight line the music. Then Cash sings the melody which doesn't mesh with the arrangement. Some folks thought it was genius but I wonder if it was just a way to induce Cash to do one more album.
The original Nine Inch Nails/Trent Reznor song is not a lot different.

I am not musician, but the whole song is meant to be disjointed.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The original Nine Inch Nails/Trent Reznor song is not a lot different.
Another decent one, but nothing like Cash. He killed that cover. Like you said, one of the best ever.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Another decent one, but nothing like Cash. He killed that cover. Like you said, one of the best ever.
Just goes to show you sometimes the song and the arrangement is it, not the voice. Cash basically talked his way through that and it worked because it fit him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I understand this arrangement although I don't like it. The songs melody is done in major keys while the accompaning music it done in minor keys. The intent I agree is to sound disjointed and bewildered. The arrangement somewhat fits the lyrics and the whole thing has a Tim Burton-eske mood. (The Nails Song)

Last edited:

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Being a good vocalist is less about singing real pretty and more about the vocals fitting the music. Plenty of musicians I listen to are all-time greats and "shitty" vocalists.

How is Taylor Hicks these days? Ruben Studdard?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Being a good vocalist is less about singing real pretty and more about the vocals fitting the music. Plenty of musicians I listen to are all-time greats and "shitty" vocalists.

Some classify Eddie Vedder as a shitty vocalists, but I think he's one of the best singers of that era.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

:lol

Taylor Hicks.

:lol

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
I think we all just got banned for mentioning Taylor Hicks.

Oh man, those were the days.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Some classify Eddie Vedder as a shitty vocalists, but I think he's one of the best singers of that era.
Case in point: I would listen to Townes Van Zandt croak out his acoustic Pancho and Lefty (which he wrote) 100 times out of 100 over the rollicking over-produced version Willie and Merle put out.

And I like Willie and Merle.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Yep. It should always be about the song not the singer. A great vocalist gets inside the song and let's it move him or her to interpret and deliver it. As I said earlier the song and the track should stand alone without all the production to tr y to prop up the presentation.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Case in point: I would listen to Townes Van Zandt croak out his acoustic Pancho and Lefty (which he wrote) 100 times out of 100 over the rollicking over-produced version Willie and Merle put out.

No way. Willie put the soul into that song.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Both if you (K Brown and No Dak) have just demonstrated how you are persuaded by the delivery of the song of different artists. Some folks are moved by the sound of the delivery while others are entertained by the style of interpretation.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Both if you (K Brown and No Dak) have just demonstrated how you are persuaded by the delivery of the song of different artists. Some folks are moved by the sound of the delivery while others are entertained by the style of interpretation.
Don't get me wrong, I also like Townes Van Zandt's version. But when it comes to bringing a song alive, I'd put Willie up against anybody.

About the only song I can say I like better sung by somebody else would be Georgia on my Mind, by Ray Charles. Although Willie's version kicks ass, too.

When they got together to sing Seven Spanish Angels, that was awesome.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Don't get me wrong, I also like Townes Van Zandt's version. But when it comes to bringing a song alive, I'd put Willie up against anybody.

About the only song I can say I like better sung by somebody else would be Georgia on my Mind, by Ray Charles. Although Willie's version kicks ass, too.

When they got together to sing Seven Spanish Angels, that was awesome.
That's probably because the style and delivery of certain singers affect your sense of what you think the song should be. You like how they present it. We all have our preferences toward what we think is a good sound to our ears.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

:buddy

Agree 100%. I also prefer Bob Dylan's solo acoustic version of "House of the Rising Sun" (off his first album when he was pretending to be Woody Guthrie on steroids) to the Animals version, as another example. Some of my all-time favorite singer/songwriters are also "shitty" vocalists (Dylan and Tom Waits immediately come to mind). Doesn't bother me. They wrote great songs and delivered them in their own way.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
:buddy

Agree 100%. I also prefer Bob Dylan's solo acoustic version of "House of the Rising Sun" (off his first album when he was pretending to be Woody Guthrie on steroids) to the Animals version, as another example. Some of my all-tie favorite singer/songwriters are also "shitty" vocalists (Dylan and Tom Waits immediately come to mind). Doesn't bother me. They wrote great songs and delivered them in their own way.
Well there you go.

Top Bottom