Resume writing.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Can anybody recommend a good free resume writing program that will allow me to edit.

And that will conform to what is the preferred resume format now.

dallen

Senior Tech
I can't but I think there are a few guys on here that work in HR so they should be able to give some advice

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
you guys suck at punctuating¿

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Resumes are so overrated these days. It is almost like a term paper, someone can find an app to do it for them.

I barely look at them, honestly. I skim, look for relevant experience and typos.

Gone are the days where a resume makes it.

Just avoid being fancy or pretentious, state the facts and make it clean is the best advice I could give you.

You can have someone make it for you, but I can spot the "bought" resumes a mile away.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Resumes are so overrated these days. It is almost like a term paper, someone can find an app to do it for them.

I barely look at them, honestly. I skim, look for relevant experience and typos.

Just avoid being fancy or pretentious, state the facts and make it clean is the best advice I could give you.

You can have someone make it for you, but I can spot the "bought" resumes a mile away.
I created a pretty good one on My perfect resume.

They faked me out with the Free part but for 3 bucks trial it was everything I needed.

So what do you use to screen applicants?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
To me the cover letter to the resume is more important than the resume itself. In terms of looks and how it reads, I mean.

townsend

Banned
I never even submitted a resume for my first job out of the military. I had a head hunter sell me through my Monster.com profile. After the interview I had to fill out an application.
\

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

I manage projects moreso than people and am not involved in the hiring process. Also, I have been at my company for 10 years & haven't been in the job market for a while so it is kind interesting to learn that the significance of "the resume" has diminished. It was still kind of important when I was last in the market but has always really kind of been more about the qualifications than the presentation of a resume document in my experience I guess.

Last edited:

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
For the people I have had to hire for the department, relevant experience and the quality of the writing are what I look at. But to make sure the person I'm interviewing did the writing I usually ask them if the did the resume and then them to write something for me during the review or interview process. Checks honesty at the same time.

Top Bottom