The Podcast Thread

Carl

RIP Brother
I have been listening to this American Life podcast off and on for a while now. I just finished This American Life "Serial" podcast, about Adnan Syed. Really quite interesting, though at the conclusion, I am really none the wiser. Not sure what happened. Worth a listen though.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
I give it a listen. StarTalk with Neil DeGrasse Tyson is great too.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I listened to Serial and thought it was quite good. I always find it entertaining when people are surprised that there wasn't some kind of neat and tidy conclusion.

You're not listening to Breaking Bad here, it's a real live court case involving real people, real lawyers, real judges, real cops. Of course there wasn't any conclusion yet, if there was we would've heard about it in the news most likely.

Carl

RIP Brother
I listened to Serial and thought it was quite good. I always find it entertaining when people are surprised that there wasn't some kind of neat and tidy conclusion.

You're not listening to Breaking Bad here, it's a real live court case involving real people, real lawyers, real judges, real cops. Of course there wasn't any conclusion yet, if there was we would've heard about it in the news most likely.
What do you think happened? I would have liked to hear more about the victim and what she was up to in her life.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Going to rename this to a podcast thread...lots of good ones out there and probably some I have never heard of...so get the ones out there that you like.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I regularly listen to:

The Herd Podcast (I used to hate Cowherd, but he has grown on me)
Sklarbro Country
Greg Fitzsimmons
Doug Loves Movies
How Did This Get Made?
Louie Anderson Podcast
Nerdist Podcast

I am sure I am leaving a few out. The Sklar's are far and away my favorite, but I also really like Nerdist...Hardwick can get some really big name guys.

D

Deuce

I listen to some that were named, I also listen to:

The Indoor Kids - they give a little insight on some of the smaller, cheaper games out there that are worth playing
Mohr Stories - Good guests and a lot of stories from old SNL
James Bonding - Comedians breaking down the Bond movies
Dead Authors Podcast - Paul F Thomkins as HG Wells brings past authors to present day through his time machine for an interview. Other improvs as guests. Some have been great, especially the 4 Disciples.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I listen to Mohr as well, but only when he has someone on I want to hear. Sometimes he bros out too much with his guests and it comes off weird. I used to listen to Carolla, but that shit drags on too much. I do want to hear the new Artie Lange podcast.

...and for the nerd side, I listen to DC Movie News...gives updates on movies and whatnot.

dallen

Senior Tech
My regular listens:

My Brother, My Brother, and Me - My favorite podcast. Dear Abby for the modern era. 3 brothers from West Virginia offer advice to Yahoo Answers questions and viewer submitted questions. Every episode is consistantly hilarious. Even their ads are usually great.
Jordan, Jessie, Go! - Another hilarious one. I don't even really know how to describe what makes it great. It is a talk show with 2 college friends chatting with funny people. Just try it.
The Adventure Zone - A Dungeons and Dragons podcast from the brothers from My Brother, My Brother, and Me and their Dad. This one just started
Judge John Hodgeman - Basically a comedy podcast version of Judge Judy starring demicelebrity John Hodgman.
This American Life - I think most people know this one. Usually true stories about everyday people set around a theme.
Backstory - An American History podcast from 3 History professors. They usually examine a single topic from the point of view of the 18th century, then the 19th and then the 20th.
Hardcore History - Dan Carlin's extremely in depth history podcast. He is covering World War I right now and is already over 10 hours in.
Common Sense - Political podcast with Dan Carlin from Hardcore History. I don't always agree with him, but he is smart and usually sees things from an angle no one else is talking about.
The B.S. Report - Bill Simmons. You probably know this one.
The Indoor Kids - Comedians Kumail Nanjiani and Emily Gordon discuss video games with a guest - usually another comedian or a game developer.
The X-Files Files - An X-Files rewatch podcast with Kumail Nanjiani from The Indoor Kids.
Idle Thumbs - A video game podcast that comes at gaming from the dev's perspective, the fans perspective, and the press perspective. Mostly absurd but they can get into some pretty deep conversations about gaming. One of them is a Polygon journalist, several of them are the guys that led development of the first Telltale Walking Dead game.
The Jeff Rubin Jeff Rubin Show - Jeff Rubin from College Humor interviews interesting people, e.g. A guy that reviews pens, a video game speedrunner, one of the brothers that created Homestar Runner

Carp

DCC 4Life
I do listen to the BS report...Jesse Thorn is hilarious...he comes on Sklarbro Country sometimes and always does a fantasy league update on funny shit. Fantasy antiquing, fantasy Nativity scenes, very funny.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Oh...By The Way, In Conversation with Jeff Garlin is really good too.

dallen

Senior Tech
What do you think happened? I would have liked to hear more about the victim and what she was up to in her life.
I liked Serial a lot. I don't think you can say if Adnan did it or not. But based on the evidence in the show it wasn't proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he murdered her. I don't know. It was very interesting.

People that get upset about the ending weren't paying attention. The entire thing kicked off with her discussing how impossible it is to actual piece together the past. That was pretty much the theme of the entire season.

D

Deuce

Funny that I've heard Jesse Thorn and Jordan Morris on tons of podcasts, like them both, and still never give Jordan Jesse Go a shot.

dallen

Senior Tech
You should try it out. It is a close second place to MBMBAM for my favorite podcasts. It is like they have a sincere appreciation for things most would mock ironically, while simultaneously recognizing and also appreciating the fact that it is absurd to like it. It almost borders on hipsterism but they actually do enjoy the things they bring up. If this quote from an essay Jessie wrote make sense to you, you will probably like it:

What is The New Sincerity? Think of it as irony and sincerity combined like Voltron, to form a new movement of astonishing power. Or think of it as the absence of irony and sincerity, where less is (obviously) more. If those strain the brain, just think of Evel Knievel. Let's be frank. There's no way to appreciate Evel Knievel literally. Evel is the kind of man who defies even fiction, because the reality is too over the top. Here is a man in a red-white-and-blue leather jumpsuit, driving some kind of rocket car. A man who achieved fame and fortune jumping over things. Here is a real man who feels at home as Spidey on the cover of a comic book. Simply put, Evel Knievel boggles the mind. But by the same token, he isn't to be taken ironically, either. The fact of the matter is that Evel is, in a word, awesome. . . . Our greeting: a double thumbs-up. Our credo: "Be More Awesome." Our lifestyle: "Maximum Fun." Throw caution to the wind, friend, and live The New Sincerity

Jiggyfly

Banned
Do you like Prince movies on Grantland and The Lowe post also on Grantland.

I also love The Tony Kornheiser show He is hilarious on the Radio.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
BS Report
Talking Cowboys and Cowboys Break
Bulls Beat with Doug Thonus
Rangers Underground (hockey)
Podcast Beyond - IGN (video games)

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think he probably did it if I had to choose although it's really difficult to tell and there didn't seem to be enough evidence to convict either way. I mean, who else had motive to do it, especially with no apparent signs of robbery or rape?

Someone just killed a random girl in her car for fun and Jay just so happened to know where the car was for God knows what reason?

It's all too odd.

Anyway, I'd have liked to hear more about her too but I understand her family not wanting to be bothered by it.

dallen

Senior Tech
I think he probably did it if I had to choose although it's really difficult to tell and there didn't seem to be enough evidence to convict either way. I mean, who else had motive to do it, especially with no apparent signs of robbery or rape?

Someone just killed a random girl in her car for fun and Jay just so happened to know where the car was for God knows what reason?

It's all too odd.

Anyway, I'd have liked to hear more about her too but I understand her family not wanting to be bothered by it.
Yeah, he definitely seems to be involved somehow

ZeroClub

UFA
Here's a quick recommendation for a podcast called "The Athletic Football Show: A show about the NFL."

They have a sophisticated understanding of the NFL game and don't dumb it down.

I've accessed it (free) using both Audacy and TuneIn Radio. I'm sure it's available elsewhere too.

Top Bottom