Video Game Chatter

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Does anyone in here have the Nintendo Switch? We got our kids a PS4 a couple Christmases ago, but outside of Lego Dimensions they hardly ever play it.

I think the Switch would get a lot more use, but it doesn't seem like there are many games to choose from.
Just bought it for my kids for Christmas. Been getting some stroooong hints for the last couple weeks. :lol

They have a couple friends that have it and really like it. Their favorite game on it so far is Mario Karts.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Just bought it for my kids for Christmas. Been getting some stroooong hints for the last couple weeks. :lol

They have a couple friends that have it and really like it. Their favorite game on it so far is Mario Karts.
I keep debating whether or not to order it, as they already spend too much time online.

Not sure I want to get them something that will entice them to spend even more time staring at a screen.

I rigged up a Raspberry Pi with mschmidt64 's help a while back, and my son and I have been killing some Super Mario and Super Mario 3 on the NES, so I'm pretty sure they'd like the Mario franchise.

It's just...do I buy the switch or something else that would get them off their asses?

I keep going back and forth on it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I keep debating whether or not to order it, as they already spend too much time online.

Not sure I want to get them something that will entice them to spend even more time staring at a screen.

I rigged up a Raspberry Pi with mschmidt64 's help a while back, and my son and I have been killing some Super Mario and Super Mario 3 on the NES, so I'm pretty sure they'd like the Mario franchise.

It's just...do I buy the switch or something else that would get them off their asses?

We got my 6 year old step daughter one for her birthday. She really likes it. She always wants to be around everyone else so it's really nice that she can carry it around as a portable device or go upstairs and play with her cousins on the TV in her bedroom. So far she only has Mario Kart and a dancing game. But she really likes those. I've been impressed with the Switch personally. I've got a PS4.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

I totally understand where you're coming from and applaud you for fighting the good fight..... But we live in different times.

There is no way to keep the kids 100% away from the internet and technology. You can force the issue if you want to, but you're going to have some disgruntled kids. Kids are kids, after all, and it's just going to get worse when they go to school and all their friends have an iPhone or tablet or Nintendo Switch.

My advice is to just get it for them, enjoy the smiles on their faces on Christmas morning, but just enforce the school/chore first thing and limit them from being on it all day and night.

In this day and age, I think that's the best you can do as a parent.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I started playing GOW 4 again this week. Far superior game in all aspects.

Story, gameplay, visuals, everything.
I mean, that's opinion that you like GOW far better, but if you are using the kind of industry standard of game grading, there's just no objective way to give RDR2 a 6 or 7.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean, that's opinion that you like GOW far better, but if you are using the kind of industry standard of game grading, there's just no objective way to give RDR2 a 6 or 7.
When you discuss two games like that it's totally preference as well. It's less about the quality of the game and more about a preference for a certain type of game. I prefer RDR2 more than the latest GOW. Doesn't mean it's a better game, I just prefer the open world wild west more than GOW where you walk one path for the most part.

D

Deuce

I think games get too much benefit of the doubt for being open world. It’s cool and impressive how much effort they put in, but at the end of the day I want to enjoy it. RDR2 was good, not great. Everything outside of the graphics lacked something.

midswat

... soon
Any of you guys play the nascar games?

not a nascar fan in the least but I fired up Nascar Heat Evolution on my kids Xbox 1 and it’s pretty fun. Doing the career mode and I can’t qualify for shit. Always end up in 40th.

How do you hug the corners in turns. All the other cars are hugging them straight and in control but I’m always wobbly and sliding up the track. I can’t keep it in control and I lose speed/time.

Whats the secret?

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I'm playing GOW now in my free time. I think its amazing. I loved RDR so I'm sure I'll like RDR2, but I like games with linear stories as well.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Looks like I'll finally be trying out MLB The Show.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Is it a game based on peeing on people?
I've only played Postal 2 which I think is about 15 years old by now but it's one of my favorite games of all time.

It's pretty funny in a dark comedy kind of way. And pretty anti politically correct. Essentially you spend a week doing missions in your town after getting fired and you can basically go postal if you want (or not).

And yes you can pee on people and things if you want among other things.

Some people were apparently pretty offended by the games in the past and I'm guessing this one will be the same. It pokes at a lot of stereotypes.

Top Bottom