Video Game Chatter

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Rampage/Gauntlet/Joust/Defender is the one I'd choose of these offered. It would be nice if you could pick which 4 games you got in the cabinet, though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rampage/Gauntlet/Joust/Defender is the one I'd choose of these offered. It would be nice if you could pick which 4 games you got in the cabinet, though.
Yeah, but I think part of the charm is that it has the particular game as part of the cabinet design.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah, but I think part of the charm is that it has the particular game as part of the cabinet design.
Well, I would like to think that if they allowed you to choose which 4 games they'd put in, they could also put the stickers for that game on the outside. It looks like just one game has the top front, with the others being on the bottom front.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I had went to youtube to watch a video of it to get an idea of the size and this popped up next and now I'm thinking about just building a pi cabinet

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Do you want me to make you a Raspberry Pie?

I think I posted a few pages back about how I built one.
How much did it cost you to build one?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
How much did it cost you to build one?
You can spend more or less depending on how crazy you want to go. I think I spent like $150. I was more towards the "go all out" side rather than the cheap side. You can probably do a pretty nice build for like $90 or $100. I can tell you I went overboard and spent like $40 on a retro-designed blutooth controller that looks like an original nintendo controller, which now that I have it, I'm not really happy with. The blutooth connection is slightly laggy, which is a no-no for video games, and the dual sticks feel a little flimsy. If you have an existing wired USB controller, like an Xbox 360 controller, you can just use that and save $40, or you can get a super cheap USB controller on amazon that works fine for $10 or so.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
After having played with my Raspberry Pi a little, I would say, don't count on this generation of hardware to run all N64 stuff well. Some of the N64 games like Mario World run awesomely. Some of them run poorly.... like Goldeneye. Also, today's controllers like Xbox or Dualshock4, or prior generations controllers (like an NES or SNES controller) all translate very poorly to the control schemes of an N64 game.

My advice is that if you primarily want N64 games or PS1 games, wait for the Raspberry Pi 4, whenever that comes out. If you want NES, SNES, Genesis, Arcade stuff, feel free to buy now.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
After having played with my Raspberry Pi a little, I would say, don't count on this generation of hardware to run all N64 stuff well. Some of the N64 games like Mario World run awesomely. Some of them run poorly.... like Goldeneye. Also, today's controllers like Xbox or Dualshock4, or prior generations controllers (like an NES or SNES controller) all translate very poorly to the control schemes of an N64 game.

My advice is that if you primarily want N64 games or PS1 games, wait for the Raspberry Pi 4, whenever that comes out. If you want NES, SNES, Genesis, Arcade stuff, feel free to buy now.
Thanks for posting about this. It got me thinking I might do a Pi Zero W inside an old NES cartridge. The Zero W is less powerful, but I wouldn't be interested in anything past SNES/Genesis anyway.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I love the idea of a cabinet but I don't have the space to do something like that, plus I like the portability of what I've done. It's literally a little brick that's about 2 inches by 2.5 inches. Smaller than my iphone. I can stick it in my pocket if I want. Take it to a friend's house and plug it into their TV.

If I was gonna do a cabinet, the entire thing is cheap enough that I'd just make a second one to have stationary in a cabinet.

I will let you know what I find about arcade/MAME. The trick as far as I can tell is finding the right emulator for the right "rom version." There are all different versions of ROMs for the main emulator, called MAME, and there are also different versions of MAME, as well. MAME roms can be MAME 0.37b5, MAME 0.78, etc, and all those different rom versions require different types of MAME emulators, whether it's mame4all-pi, or lr-mame2000, or lr-mame2003, etc. I just don't know enough to know what is compatible with what.

I can go to emuparadise and download a "MAME ROM" but I don't know what emulator version it is, what rom version it is, etc. I need to figure that all out.
Hey Schmitty, I'm getting ready to order the board and some of the other pieces.

How's the Pi setup working for you?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Hey Schmitty, I'm getting ready to order the board and some of the other pieces.

How's the Pi setup working for you?
I stated some more thoughts about it afterwards. Overall I’m happy with it. It takes some time investment into learning how to properly tweak everything and get it running perfectly, get the controllers set up, etc, but it’s not that hard. I’m happy with it — though I’ve barely had any time to less with it. So far all I have loaded on the Pi is NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, and N64, and not all N64 games run well on it. Some better than others.

But I suspect that if all you want is mid-90s and earlier arcade games and console games, you’ll be fine. One more word of warning, there’s some discrepancy as to which emulator you need to use for the arcade games.... it’s not straightforward. I need to do more research on that, which is why I haven’t loaded any arcade games on my Pi yet.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Ordered the Pi, case, and power supply last night, so going to start collecting games. Where do you find most of the ROMs?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
[MENTION=24]mschmidt64[/MENTION]

I've been using MAME as my arcade emulator of choice since the late 90's.

Is that not the best one for arcade emus right now?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
[MENTION=24]mschmidt64[/MENTION]

I've been using MAME as my arcade emulator of choice since the late 90's.

Is that not the best one for arcade emus right now?
There are so many different MAME emulator versions, see the post mcnuttz quoted above. You may know more than me though.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Ordered the Pi, case, and power supply last night, so going to start collecting games. Where do you find most of the ROMs?
I have a ton of NES, SNES, Sega I can send you. I’m actually still looking for a good resource for a bulk download of the best MAME games.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I have a ton of NES, SNES, Sega I can send you. I’m actually still looking for a good resource for a bulk download of the best MAME games.
Do you need a different emulator for each of Atari, new, and Sega or will one run them all. I understand that arcade is a different animal.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
God of War info:

I'm just now finding out that you can't unlock Asgard or Vanaheim. Why the hell would the game developers place them in the game among the other unlockable realms in the Realm Travel Room if there was no intent to make them playable?

Based on what I read they aren't pushing out any DLC to allow access to them either. We have to wait until GoW 5 to *possibly* play those two realms.

That flat out sucks.

Top Bottom