Video Game Chatter

Newt

DCC 4Life
Well you can either spend $13 dollars and have a working PS3 or you can spend $27 and have a working PS3. Seems like a no brainer to me. You'll never use the stupid warranty anyway.
It's a PS1, and while I agree that I will never use the warranty it does assure me that it will at least turn on and work at the time I take possession of it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a PS1, and while I agree that I will never use the warranty it does assure me that it will at least turn on and work at the time I take possession of it.
Opps yeah I meant to say PS1. All the talk of PS3's got me to type the wrong thing.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm keeping my PS3 because there are still games from PS2 and PS1 that I like playing.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I'm keeping my PS3 because there are still games from PS2 and PS1 that I like playing.
Lucky, you still have a backwards compatible PS3 that works.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I hear PS5 may be backwards compatible thanks to the Xbox One introducing it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hear PS5 may be backwards compatible thanks to the Xbox One introducing it.
That would be awesome. I'd really love to replay Red Dead Redemption right now but I'm not sure how since it's a PS3 game and I don't really want to go back to my old PS3.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I love the original Red Dead Redemption so much that I would buy an Xbox One X simply because you can play Red Dead Redemption on it with a patch that up-rez's the graphics and resolution to 4k.

I have no idea why Rockstar has not remastered and re-released Red Dead Redemption for this generation of consoles and PC. I still hope somewhere in the back of my mind that they are hiding an announcement of a remaster to be released alongside the sequel; or in the alternative that they will do a ten year anniversary remaster in 2020, as they've done similar ten year remasters for some other games of theirs.

I would buy that shit for Steam on PC, or any PC software platform for that matter (though all Rockstar's games are on Steam), in a fucking nanosecond. I'd pay twice the normal rate for a remaster with upgraded 4k graphics and bug/gameplay tweaks.

Twice. I'd drop $120. They could market it as a remaster and throw in a steel case and some useless junk trinkets, call it a Special Anniversary Edition, and I will gladly fork over $120. Probably more.

There are rumors out there that the code for Red Dead Redemption is a complete and utter mess, and adapting it to PC or the new generation of consoles would take forever, much longer than a normal port or remaster, because they'd have to go back and clean up so much of the mess, that it would take them a significant amount of time that they could just spend writing a new game. But I'm not entirely sure that argument works, because I think a remaster would sell so well, it would be worth their while. You sell a remaster of that game on PC/PS4/Xbox1, and it will outsell the original release of the game. Book it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love the original Red Dead Redemption so much that I would buy an Xbox One X simply because you can play Red Dead Redemption on it with a patch that up-rez's the graphics and resolution to 4k.

I have no idea why Rockstar has not remastered and re-released Red Dead Redemption for this generation of consoles and PC. I still hope somewhere in the back of my mind that they are hiding an announcement of a remaster to be released alongside the sequel; or in the alternative that they will do a ten year anniversary remaster in 2020, as they've done similar ten year remasters for some other games of theirs.

I would buy that shit for Steam on PC, or any PC software platform for that matter (though all Rockstar's games are on Steam), in a fucking nanosecond. I'd pay twice the normal rate for a remaster with upgraded 4k graphics and bug/gameplay tweaks.

Twice. I'd drop $120. They could market it as a remaster and throw in a steel case and some useless junk trinkets, call it a Special Anniversary Edition, and I will gladly fork over $120. Probably more.

There are rumors out there that the code for Red Dead Redemption is a complete and utter mess, and adapting it to PC or the new generation of consoles would take forever, much longer than a normal port or remaster, because they'd have to go back and clean up so much of the mess, that it would take them a significant amount of time that they could just spend writing a new game. But I'm not entirely sure that argument works, because I think a remaster would sell so well, it would be worth their while. You sell a remaster of that game on PC/PS4/Xbox1, and it will outsell the original release of the game. Book it.
Yeah my buddy was talking about wanting to replay it and I had just automatically assumed that there was a remastered version for the PS4. But it turns out I was wrong.

I'd go back and play the PS3 version but I feel like my PS3 is on it's last legs. I pretty much just use it as a blue ray player in my living room. Still I may end up going out and buying another copy of the old game and replaying it. Loved it that much.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yea but I'm more interested in a used one.

I'm on there now. Just a little skeptical because most of them don't accept returns and i may end up with one that doesn't work. I heard these things can fry at any moment.
I've personally had good luck on electronics from ebay, also even if a seller says no returns if they sell you something that breaks right away ebay/paypal will always find in the customers favor in that situation if you file a claim

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea but I'm more interested in a used one.

I'm on there now. Just a little skeptical because most of them don't accept returns and i may end up with one that doesn't work. I heard these things can fry at any moment.
If you find one on craigslist or even a facebook yardsale page, I'd probably ask them to plug it in and show that it works. But after that you're probably fine. I still have the original style PS3 running so I wouldn't be so worried if I were you. Just make sure it runs on the HDMI port.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I got RDR on My PS3 as a download for the PSplus. I still love that game. Looks pretty good on my projection screen even at original resolution.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got RDR on My PS3 as a download for the PSplus. I still love that game. Looks pretty good on my projection screen even at original resolution.
Yeah, I'd love to actually replay that game right now just in anticipation of the new one coming out. I absolutely loved that game. I get a lot of Playstation games that I never truly finish but that was one where I played it from start to finish.

On a side note, I'm just waiting for all the gun people to turn on video games next. Seems like they used to get blamed for all of the school shootings in the past. But right now everyone is focusing on gun control instead.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, so this Raspberry Pi thing running Emulation Software Retropie.... apparently pretty awesome. My friend made one, and I just ordered and received the parts for one yesterday, I'm beginning to put it all together. It's actually not too hard at all but it takes some time and when you have two kids running around, time is at a premium.

You need a Raspberry Pi 3B (or B+), which is essentially a computer/board, you need a case, you need an SD card to serve as the hard drive, you need a power supply, and a controller. I'd be happy to provide the list of parts I got on Amazon. You can go more or less expensive for all the parts as desired, but you're gonna spend anywhere from $80-$200 roughly. I think my stuff was a total of $130.

Once you get the computer up and running with the software, you have to download games called "Roms" -- but the Retropie software runs/emulates the following systems relatively natively and pain free:

Atari 2600
Atari 7800
Atari Lynx
GCE Vectrex
NEC TurboGrafx-16
Nintendo 64
Nintendo Entertainment System
Nintendo Super NES
Nintendo Game Boy
Nintendo Game Boy Color
Nintendo Game Boy Advance
Nintendo Virtual Boy
Sega 32X
Sega CD
Sega Master System
Sega Genesis
Sega Game Gear
Sega Saturn
SNK Neo Geo
SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color
Sony PlayStation
Sony PSP

Dosbox
ScummVM
MAME (arcade cabinets)

And many others. Not all emulators are pre-installed on Retropie, so it takes some tweaking, but I can provide links to instructions too.

Anyway.... You can find just about any games out there online these days.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Thanks Smitty, cool info... I may just have to build one.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Actually here is a full list of supported systems:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Supported-Systems

Some of the "newer" systems on there, like Nintendo 64, I think it struggles with a bit, and not every game works. There are further tweaks to resolution and stuff that you have to do to get many of them to run well. But I think any of the pre-1996 stuff should be just fine. And like I said, I know people do get it to run N64 stuff like GoldenEye, Mario Kart, Mario World 64, etc.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Let's see the instructions that you've used, [MENTION=24]mschmidt64[/MENTION].

I looked into this a few years ago and had planned on building a plywood cabinet adn installing a 24" monitor with a few different controller options, but I've lost all the documentation that I had.

Top Bottom