Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video Game Chatter

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by fortsbest View Post
    I got RDR on My PS3 as a download for the PSplus. I still love that game. Looks pretty good on my projection screen even at original resolution.
    Yeah, I'd love to actually replay that game right now just in anticipation of the new one coming out. I absolutely loved that game. I get a lot of Playstation games that I never truly finish but that was one where I played it from start to finish.

    On a side note, I'm just waiting for all the gun people to turn on video games next. Seems like they used to get blamed for all of the school shootings in the past. But right now everyone is focusing on gun control instead.

    Comment


    • Yeah, so this Raspberry Pi thing running Emulation Software Retropie.... apparently pretty awesome. My friend made one, and I just ordered and received the parts for one yesterday, I'm beginning to put it all together. It's actually not too hard at all but it takes some time and when you have two kids running around, time is at a premium.

      You need a Raspberry Pi 3B (or B+), which is essentially a computer/board, you need a case, you need an SD card to serve as the hard drive, you need a power supply, and a controller. I'd be happy to provide the list of parts I got on Amazon. You can go more or less expensive for all the parts as desired, but you're gonna spend anywhere from $80-$200 roughly. I think my stuff was a total of $130.

      Once you get the computer up and running with the software, you have to download games called "Roms" -- but the Retropie software runs/emulates the following systems relatively natively and pain free:


      Atari 2600
      Atari 7800
      Atari Lynx
      GCE Vectrex
      NEC TurboGrafx-16
      Nintendo 64
      Nintendo Entertainment System
      Nintendo Super NES
      Nintendo Game Boy
      Nintendo Game Boy Color
      Nintendo Game Boy Advance
      Nintendo Virtual Boy
      Sega 32X
      Sega CD
      Sega Master System
      Sega Genesis
      Sega Game Gear
      Sega Saturn
      SNK Neo Geo
      SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color
      Sony PlayStation
      Sony PSP

      Dosbox
      ScummVM
      MAME (arcade cabinets)

      And many others. Not all emulators are pre-installed on Retropie, so it takes some tweaking, but I can provide links to instructions too.

      Anyway.... You can find just about any games out there online these days.

      Comment


      • Thanks Smitty, cool info... I may just have to build one.

        Comment


        • Actually here is a full list of supported systems:

          https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie...ported-Systems

          Some of the "newer" systems on there, like Nintendo 64, I think it struggles with a bit, and not every game works. There are further tweaks to resolution and stuff that you have to do to get many of them to run well. But I think any of the pre-1996 stuff should be just fine. And like I said, I know people do get it to run N64 stuff like GoldenEye, Mario Kart, Mario World 64, etc.

          Comment


          • Let's see the instructions that you've used, [MENTION=24]mschmidt64[/MENTION].

            I looked into this a few years ago and had planned on building a plywood cabinet adn installing a 24" monitor with a few different controller options, but I've lost all the documentation that I had.

            Comment


            • Hmmm, I don't really have a set of instructions, per se. I use a youtube Channel from a guy named ETA Prime. This is his most relevant video for general installation, but he's got tons of specific vids.

              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QcC...R&index=3&t=0s

              Here are some internet set up articles I found helpful:

              https://www.pcworld.com/article/3190...n-console.html
              https://howchoo.com/g/n2qyzdk5zdm/bu...tro-gaming-rig

              Here is a list of the parts I bought:

              The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
              You can get a B+, which runs slightly faster, but I've heard that's not really necessary. When the 4 comes out, whenever that is, they will be able to do a lot better with the N64 games and newer, but for now, the 3 does run MOST N64 games and many PS1 games.

              You can also find "kits" on Amazon that come with many or most accessories, but I liked this specific case my friend had, so I get everything piecemeal.

              Here's the case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

              You need a 2.5 amp power supply. I recommend one with an on/off power switch so that you can turn the system off that way besides powering it down in the OS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

              You need a "class 10" microSD card. I got a 64 GB. Many people are saying that if all you want is NES, SNES, Genesis, the older systems, you are just fine with a 16GB or even a 32 GB could be overkill. Other people seem to be saying they can fill up a 64GB or even push capacity on a 128GB when they have "all" the games even from the PS1 era, which are much larger. I doubt I'll ever get "complete" collections from the PS1/N64 era, I just don't care that much for most of the games besides the classics, so I went middle of the road with this 64GB, which for me, is still probably overkill: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

              You can use pretty much any USB or even bluetooth controller with the Raspberry Pi 3 because it has on-board Bluetooth and on-board wifi built in, but I wanted to be tech nerdy and instead of using my existing PS4 controllers, I went out and bought two highly rated retro controllers, one cheap one and one expensive one, to really sell the experience. The first has USB and bluetooth and is more expensive, the second is just usb and is relatively cheap. I haven't received the second one yet; and I'll say this about the more expensive one: It feels relatively tiny, and I'm not thrilled with the responsiveness over bluetooth, though it IS functional. I may try with it plugged in instead and see if it's any faster.

              1) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
              2) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

              I also got this wifi/USB keyboard pad. Many times you need a keyboard to be hooked up (for set up, and even some roms require keyboard input, like with MAME arcade emulators, apparently, you need the keyboard to exit the emulator at all). Better to have this little portable thing than having to lug around a full size keyboard to attach to it all the time: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

              Finally, I got this carrying case from Amazon, hasn't arrived yet, but I anticipate all the accessories will fit in here nicely (with the possible exception of the keyboard, but I think it will fit also), so I can carry it all around in one package: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

              Comment


              • Originally posted by mschmidt64 View Post
                Hmmm, I don't really have a set of instructions, per se. I use a youtube Channel from a guy named ETA Prime. This is his most relevant video for general installation, but he's got tons of specific vids.

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QcC...R&index=3&t=0s

                Here are some internet set up articles I found helpful:

                https://www.pcworld.com/article/3190...n-console.html
                https://howchoo.com/g/n2qyzdk5zdm/bu...tro-gaming-rig

                Here is a list of the parts I bought:

                The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                You can get a B+, which runs slightly faster, but I've heard that's not really necessary. When the 4 comes out, whenever that is, they will be able to do a lot better with the N64 games and newer, but for now, the 3 does run MOST N64 games and many PS1 games.

                You can also find "kits" on Amazon that come with many or most accessories, but I liked this specific case my friend had, so I get everything piecemeal.

                Here's the case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

                You need a 2.5 amp power supply. I recommend one with an on/off power switch so that you can turn the system off that way besides powering it down in the OS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

                You need a "class 10" microSD card. I got a 64 GB. Many people are saying that if all you want is NES, SNES, Genesis, the older systems, you are just fine with a 16GB or even a 32 GB could be overkill. Other people seem to be saying they can fill up a 64GB or even push capacity on a 128GB when they have "all" the games even from the PS1 era, which are much larger. I doubt I'll ever get "complete" collections from the PS1/N64 era, I just don't care that much for most of the games besides the classics, so I went middle of the road with this 64GB, which for me, is still probably overkill: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

                You can use pretty much any USB or even bluetooth controller with the Raspberry Pi 3 because it has on-board Bluetooth and on-board wifi built in, but I wanted to be tech nerdy and instead of using my existing PS4 controllers, I went out and bought two highly rated retro controllers, one cheap one and one expensive one, to really sell the experience. The first has USB and bluetooth and is more expensive, the second is just usb and is relatively cheap. I haven't received the second one yet; and I'll say this about the more expensive one: It feels relatively tiny, and I'm not thrilled with the responsiveness over bluetooth, though it IS functional. I may try with it plugged in instead and see if it's any faster.

                1) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                2) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

                I also got this wifi/USB keyboard pad. Many times you need a keyboard to be hooked up (for set up, and even some roms require keyboard input, like with MAME arcade emulators, apparently, you need the keyboard to exit the emulator at all). Better to have this little portable thing than having to lug around a full size keyboard to attach to it all the time: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

                Finally, I got this carrying case from Amazon, hasn't arrived yet, but I anticipate all the accessories will fit in here nicely (with the possible exception of the keyboard, but I think it will fit also), so I can carry it all around in one package: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                Good compilatiion, thanks man!

                Atari 2600, arcade, and NES are all I really care about. For the arcade emulation I'd like to rig up a true joystick and button combo, then have an atari joystick and NES controllers to hook up as well.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by mcnuttz View Post
                  Good compilatiion, thanks man!

                  Atari 2600, arcade, and NES are all I really care about. For the arcade emulation I'd like to rig up a true joystick and button combo, then have an atari joystick and NES controllers to hook up as well.
                  NES is super, super easy. Just download the roms and put them in the pre-existing folder on the Raspberry Pi. Done.

                  Arcade is more complex. You'll have to do more reading up on that, I don't even know the details of all that yet.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by mschmidt64 View Post
                    NES is super, super easy. Just download the roms and put them in the pre-existing folder on the Raspberry Pi. Done.

                    Arcade is more complex. You'll have to do more reading up on that, I don't even know the details of all that yet.
                    Are you planning on taking the console on the road?

                    Can't decide if I want to do that or build a cabinet for it. I like the idea of a countertop build with the arcade joytstick/buttons & slanted monitor to mimic the old arcade experience. I've got a bunch of old scrap wood so will probably go that route.

                    Please share any info you find beneficial if you research the arcade games and I'll do the same.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by mcnuttz View Post
                      Are you planning on taking the console on the road?

                      Can't decide if I want to do that or build a cabinet for it. I like the idea of a countertop build with the arcade joytstick/buttons & slanted monitor to mimic the old arcade experience. I've got a bunch of old scrap wood so will probably go that route.

                      Please share any info you find beneficial if you research the arcade games and I'll do the same.
                      I love the idea of a cabinet but I don't have the space to do something like that, plus I like the portability of what I've done. It's literally a little brick that's about 2 inches by 2.5 inches. Smaller than my iphone. I can stick it in my pocket if I want. Take it to a friend's house and plug it into their TV.

                      If I was gonna do a cabinet, the entire thing is cheap enough that I'd just make a second one to have stationary in a cabinet.

                      I will let you know what I find about arcade/MAME. The trick as far as I can tell is finding the right emulator for the right "rom version." There are all different versions of ROMs for the main emulator, called MAME, and there are also different versions of MAME, as well. MAME roms can be MAME 0.37b5, MAME 0.78, etc, and all those different rom versions require different types of MAME emulators, whether it's mame4all-pi, or lr-mame2000, or lr-mame2003, etc. I just don't know enough to know what is compatible with what.

                      I can go to emuparadise and download a "MAME ROM" but I don't know what emulator version it is, what rom version it is, etc. I need to figure that all out.

                      Comment


                      • If you have a PS4 and didn't play GoW, you should be forced to donate it to someone who will make better use of it.
                        2013 DCC Fantasy Football Champeen

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Texas Ace View Post
                          If you have a PS4 and didn't play GoW, you should be forced to donate it to someone who will make better use of it.
                          You know now that I look into I might try it. I'm not big on linear games. Which it's always been. But what I've read now about the new one is that has totally changed. Actually looks like a game I might love now.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
                            You know now that I look into I might try it. I'm not big on linear games. Which it's always been. But what I've read now about the new one is that has totally changed. Actually looks like a game I might love now.
                            From top to bottom, the GOW games as a whole are a better series than any other video game series and 95% of movie series that ever existed.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                              From top to bottom, the GOW games as a whole are a better series than any other video game series and 95% of movie series that ever existed.
                              Yeah and see I wasn't that into the previous ones. I just didn't like the linear format of them. It was a game I'd play to a point and then stop for a loss of interest.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
                                Yeah and see I wasn't that into the previous ones. I just didn't like the linear format of them. It was a game I'd play to a point and then stop for a loss of interest.
                                I’m just referring to story, not gameplay.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X