Video Game Chatter

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I have not seen one game that makes me think I need to spend 10 bucks on any of these.
You rarely get any gems at launch.

I'm sure it'll be the same package for me as it was for the PS2 and PS3: Console, controller, Madden, and a random other game that looks interesting.

It would be great to have a God of War to play on day one, but it never works out that way.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You rarely get any gems at launch.

I'm sure it'll be the same package for me as it was for the PS2 and PS3: Console, controller, Madden, and a random other game that looks interesting.

It would be great to have a God of War to play on day one, but it never works out that way.
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was not a launch title, but it was only like 3 months later. Everyone knew it was on the way as a next-gen game.

I don't think we really even have anything like that. The biggest draws -- GTA or Last of Us -- are all old generation.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

E3 2013: PlayStation 4 Hard Drive is Removable, Upgradable

Sony executive confirms over Twitter.

Additional details about the PlayStation 4 have begun to emerge following last night's announcements. In addition to be region-free, we've now learned that that the system's 500GB hard drive can be removed and upgraded. Sony Worldwide Studio Head, Shuhei Yoshida, confirmed the news via Twitter early this morning. The move gives the PS4 yet another advantage over the Xbox One, which makes the hard drive inaccessible to consumers.

What remains unclear, however, is whether the system will use a standard notebook hard drive, like the kind used by the PS3 or a proprietary storage format. We've reached out to Sony representatives for clarification.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

E3 2013: PlayStation 4 Hard Drive is Removable, Upgradable

Sony executive confirms over Twitter.

Additional details about the PlayStation 4 have begun to emerge following last night's announcements. In addition to be region-free, we've now learned that that the system's 500GB hard drive can be removed and upgraded. Sony Worldwide Studio Head, Shuhei Yoshida, confirmed the news via Twitter early this morning. The move gives the PS4 yet another advantage over the Xbox One, which makes the hard drive inaccessible to consumers.

What remains unclear, however, is whether the system will use a standard notebook hard drive, like the kind used by the PS3 or a proprietary storage format. We've reached out to Sony representatives for clarification.
I saw that.

That's another thing PS has over Xbox. I upgraded my PS3 HD to a 350 gig for 80 bucks.

Microsoft makes you buy a proprietary HD for the Xbox which is expensive as shat and not as big as the one I got.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was not a launch title, but it was only like 3 months later. Everyone knew it was on the way as a next-gen game.

I don't think we really even have anything like that. The biggest draws -- GTA or Last of Us -- are all old generation.
Have you seen that Beyond: Two Souls game with Ellen Page and Willem Defoe in it? That looks really good too.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Is MS doing anything right? The XB1 cluster is right up there with removing the Start button in W8.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Supposedly, this is a leaked video of what the new PSN interface is going to look like along with some of the new features:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I must say I am excited for Elder Scrolls Online for the PS4, but man that is a long time from now.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
edit: timestamped, dammit.

That's what I get for not refreshing before I post.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Is MS doing anything right? The XB1 cluster is right up there with removing the Start button in W8.
After Sony's conference yesterday, IGN had a round table discussion and asked if MS would change their strategy after Sony pretty much put the smack down on them.

All of them said that MS could not backpedal now because doing so would show weakness and admit right out of the gate that they were wrong all along. It would be hard to be taken seriously about anything they say before the XB1 launch because consumers would wonder about their commitment to whatever feature they would market.

Looks like MS has to lie in the bed they made.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Have you seen that Beyond: Two Souls game with Ellen Page and Willem Defoe in it? That looks really good too.
Yeah, it looked interesting. Ellen Page as an anti-terrorist bad ass does not necessarily sell me though.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Am I missing something, or are the Elder Scrolls Online graphics not much better than Skyrim's, except maybe for the lighting effects?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Am I missing something, or are the Elder Scrolls Online graphics not much better than Skyrim's, except maybe for the lighting effects?
I think they are actually worse.

But it's an MMO. It's not supposed to be better than Skyrim's graphics. It's supposed to be better than WOW's.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think they are actually worse.

But it's an MMO. It's not supposed to be better than Skyrim's graphics. It's supposed to be better than WOW's.
I don't know if I would say worse, but they look similar. You are exactly right though, the exciting part is being able to basically go online and play Skyrim with other people in a more epic world. It looks far more badass then WOW.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
It looks cool, don't get me wrong. I just expect to be blown away by the difference between this gen and next gen games, and none of the gameplay footage from any game has been that much better. I may not play enough games to notice the difference though.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That Destiny game by Bungie has potential.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It looks cool, don't get me wrong. I just expect to be blown away by the difference between this gen and next gen games, and none of the gameplay footage from any game has been that much better. I may not play enough games to notice the difference though.
This will be the least significant jump in graphics that we've ever seen.

It'll look better, but it won't be like what we're used to from 16 to 32 bit, 32 to 64, 64 to 128...etc.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well, that's kinda my point. Look at a game like Diablo 3 and then look at Skyrim. They are two different games. Skyrim is much more detailed and beautiful than Diablo 3 is by just about every measurement even though Diablo 3 was released a year later.

I would expect the next single player Bethesda game to be a leap forward (I suspect it will be Fallout 4 before another SP Elder Scrolls game). The Elder Scrolls online's graphics are more in line with other non-first person entries.

And even so, it was not entirely developed to be on the next-gen hardware. Once these machines are out for a bit you'll start seeing some big leaps I bet. Still, I don't think the jump will be as mind-boggling as we saw from PS2 to PS3. I think the PS3's hardware was more of a jump than this generation's is.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This will be the least significant jump in graphics that we've ever seen.

It'll look better, but it won't be like what we're used to from 16 to 32 bit, 32 to 64, 64 to 128...etc.
Right. This generation will probably do more with processor power in the realm of advanced AI than graphics upgrades. Which is kinda ok.

If every game looks like Skyrim, but can run much higher texture packs and pack five times the NPCs on the screen at once with more advanced AI, that will be bad ass.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'll be honest, the one game Xbox did show that looks intriguing is "Ryse".

Too bad I'll never play it.

Top Bottom