Video Game Chatter

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
About the same price as XBox Live Gold.

Hopefully you can still use 3rd party apps like Netflix w/o the online fee. Microsoft currently requires an Xbox Live Gold membership to use 3rd party apps.
It's gonna be 10 bucks cheaper.

49.99 a year, but you get a TON of free games. Those of us with playstation plus know how sweet this is.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I have ps plus and it carries over. That means I won't have to pay a dime for the first 5 months of the PS4 to play online. :towel

There are a shot load of free games we get each month . All the uncharteds are free now, so we're not talking like shirty or old games.

This is an awesome deal.

D

Deuce

That pisses me off. One of the few things Sony always had over Microsoft is free online. If the PS3 remains free online, I'm sticking with it.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
I'm sure Microsoft will be like, 'Hey, remember all that shit we said? Just kidding"

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That pisses me off. One of the few things Sony always had over Microsoft is free online. If the PS3 remains free online, I'm sticking with it.
It was inevitable.

There was no way with network and server maintenance that online access was always going to be free.

D

Deuce

It was inevitable.

There was no way with network and server maintenance that online access was always going to be free.
I won't care as much as long as its an online gaming only pass. I can live without online gaming. If it covers Netflix too, I'm pissed.

gator

Brand New Member
It was inevitable.

We kind of got what we paid for with free PSN for the PS3 too. Hacked. Out of service for a month. Slow software updates, downloads. Buggy online play.

They should do better now that it's paid.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
We kind of got what we paid for with free PSN for the PS3 too. Hacked. Out of service for a month. Slow software updates, downloads. Buggy online play.

They should do better now that it's paid.
Exactly.

There SHOULD be a better all around network service from Sony now that they are charging for it.

D

Deuce

They are bordering on looking douchey with little vignettes like that, but it's still awesome. Make Microsoft look like the greedy tricks they are.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Deuce, all media services will remain free on Playstation.

Only online multiplayer is affected by the PS+ membership.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
How dare they charge 5 bucks a month to pay for all those servers and bandwidth. :lol

Deuce just admit you're mad that this isn't something you can pirate for free

D

Deuce

How dare they charge 5 bucks a month to pay for all those servers and bandwidth. :lol

No, it's just there are things like Netflix that I use often that I already have to pay for. I don't see paying an extra $50 a year just to play it on my PS4. If all it is affects is online gaming, I'm good. I can do without that.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Sony needed to charge something. The lag in the college football franchise I was in with you guys was fucking terrible and I just couldn't play like that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They better improve their server quality if so.
I agree, that will be a lot of extra money for Sony to play with and it sure as hell better be spent to improve the PS network. The annoying part of the whole thing is the only game I'm going to be buying it for is NCAA Football. So basically I will be paying 110-120 for one game. It's really the only game that I play online.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
No, it's just there are things like Netflix that I use often that I already have to pay for. I don't see paying an extra $50 a year just to play it on my PS4. If all it is affects is online gaming, I'm good. I can do without that.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-playstation-plus-required-for-ps4-online-play

At its E3 press briefing, Sony confirmed that PlayStation 4 will require PlayStation Plus in order to play games online. This is similar to Microsoft's current approach to online gaming with Xbox Live Gold. At the same time, Sony also confirmed that you'll be able to play all single-player games as well as use all media services without subscribing to PS+. Your current PS3 membership will transfer over to PS4.
There you go.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

It was only a matter of time before they charged, and while it was nice to play online for free for all that time, there is just way too much network maintenance required to not charge a fee.

They better improve their server quality if so.
Of course, and that is going to be the expectation from consumers.

The quality of service will definitely be expected to improve, and I'm sure it will. While I'm a playstation whore, I know that Xbox live's online interface is leaps and bounds better than Sony's, and you'd be a fool to think that the quality isn't a result of the funds they have coming in via their online service fee.

As I said before, you're basically having to pay for their existing premium service which already exists in order to play online on the PS4. For someone who already subscribes to PS+, I can tell you that it's actually a great deal that you're going to enjoy all the current benefits while also being able to play online. They probably could've charged an extra few bucks to add online play to the already existing service or separated the two services and charged a separate fee for both - one for only online play, and one fore PS+ with online play. The fact that they combined the two at no extra cost is a good deal, IMO.

While most of you aren't gaming wackos like me, you guys do play most of the titles they give you for free. We aren't talking about crappy games here, some of the very best games on the console have been made available for free to PS+ users. The Uncharted games, the Batman Arkham games, Bioshocks......these are AAA titles that they give you for being a PS+ member. And if you share your Playstation with your kids, then there are a ton of other games that will appeal to them that you can download for free that saves you some hassle too.

When you combine all this, then PS+ now becomes a better online service than XBL.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
A couple of interesting notes for the day:

PS4 comes with a 500GB hard drive and will be region free.

Top Bottom