Video Game Chatter

Smitty

DCC 4Life
[MENTION=24]mschmidt64[/MENTION]

You're a big Bethesda guy, aren't you?

Disappointed in the lack of exciting announcements from them?
I've been on vacation and not following along, but I'm gonna say no. They need to overhaul their systems. I don't want the next elder scrolls to feel as samey as Fallout 4. They need time.

I heard they have some games in the pipeline though.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not a fan of the voice change, but its a small gripe. This looks great.
I'll have to see about the weapon change too. I like the swinging swords on teh chains.
I think it's a good change.

As big of a fan of GoW as I am, the game was starting to become stale....kinda like Uncharted is now.

What makes the new GoW so exciting is how many new elements have been introduced to the series. The combat is different -- from the hand-to-hand stuff, new weapon, and the overall pace of it all. There are RPG elements now, an inclusion of a companion, and a completely new camera angle.

A lot of similar changes were made to RE4 after the Resident Evil series had become a bit stale.

So while I probably would've played the game regardless, I am glad to see that it got a much needed face lift.....something the Uncharted series desperately needs as well.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
[MENTION=24]mschmidt64[/MENTION]

You're a big Bethesda guy, aren't you?

Disappointed in the lack of exciting announcements from them?
Um, looking at the news today, Bethesda actually has a bunch of announcements.... just nothing Elder Scrolls related, which is to be expected since that game probably hasn't even really started development yet. I would like to see turnaround time decrease for these franchises, but I also want revamping of these engines and such, not just slapping a new coat of paint on them, so that's how it will be.

But Bethesda looks like it revealed Wolfenstein 2, the Evil Within 2, and Dishonored expansion, so that's some pretty meaty stuff. I have played but not beaten Wolfenstein.... might get into #2 there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, for example, the Witcher 3 was really a revolution in open world RPGs. Fallout 4 felt very "Skyrim with guns plus some settlement building and scrap gathering systems."
I don't think I agree with this. Although all of them were wonderful games and I've played, enjoyed and finished all of them. I just don't see the similarities between Skyrim and Fallout 4. And as much as I loved Witcher 3 I felt like the options for a character build were too limited unlike Skyrim and Fallout 4 for example. The sword fighting on Witcher 3 was far more advanced than the sword fighting in Skyrim though for example.

Skyrim is the one I played longest ago and I've really thought about playing it again. So maybe I just don't remember it correctly or maybe it is just nostalgia but that was probably my favorite of the 3 games. Which is why I really wish they would come out with the next Elder Scrolls game. I've started the expansion on ESO Morrowind but it's like taking aspirin for a crack addiction. It's just no where close to Skyrim.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well one of the major complaints about Fallout, even though it was pretty positively reviewed, was that many people got bored with it quickly cause it felt like they had seen everything it can do when they played Skyrim for 200 hours. While I liked Fallout a lot, I tend to agree... it was not like the jump from Morrowind to Oblivion or Oblivion to Skyrim.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well one of the major complaints about Fallout, even though it was pretty positively reviewed, was that many people got bored with it quickly cause it felt like they had seen everything it can do when they played Skyrim for 200 hours. While I liked Fallout a lot, I tend to agree... it was not like the jump from Morrowind to Oblivion or Oblivion to Skyrim.
Yeah I never played Morrowind or Oblivion. I got into this genre of game a bit late. And maybe that's why I struggle to see the great leaps forward.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
[MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION] [MENTION=12]Deuce[/MENTION]

This is a really cool and interesting read on how the original NBA Jam was created:

https://www.si.com/longform/2017/nba-jam-oral-history/index.html

I’d walk up behind guys playing and yell out, “Ugly shot! Get that stuff outta here!” And they’d say, “Hey, you sound like the guy.” I’d say, “I am the guy! Boomshakalaka!” Then I’d walk away.
:lol

Mark [Turmell] is from Detroit. He set it so that if you were playing as the Bulls [who were dominating the NBA at the time] against his Pistons, your shooting percentage would be completely awry, especially near the end of a close game.

He says he coded the Bulls to always throw a brick at the last second. I always played as the Bulls and he always played as the Pistons, and he won most of the time—so maybe he actually did that.
Well I'll be.....

Gary Payton got a hold of me and wanted to be in the game. [Payton was still on the verge of breaking out; the Sonics were represented in Jam by Shawn Kemp and Benoit Benjamin.] I told him what we would need, not thinking anything would come of it. It’s a lot of effort, like nine images for the head. . . . Then I received photographs in the mail, Payton standing in front of a wall at all these angles. Then he said, “Oh, I’m buddies with Ken Griffey Jr. and he wants to be in the game. . . . And Michael Jordan wants to be in the game.”
When was the last time you hear of athletes, especially those at the top of the sport, asking to be part of a product instead of the other way around?

Last edited:

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I finally got Battlefield one this week. Hopefully I'll actually have some time to play it rather than it sitting unopened like some of the games I have. :sad

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
[MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION] [MENTION=12]Deuce[/MENTION]

This is a really cool and interesting read on how the original NBA Jam was created:

https://www.si.com/longform/2017/nba-jam-oral-history/index.html

:lol

Well I'll be.....

When was the last time you hear of athletes, especially those at the top of the sport, asking to be part of a product instead of the other way around?
I'll definitely have to read this later. Looks like it's an interesting article.

midswat

... soon
Quick question...

Picked up an old 360 and some games to throw on an extra TV for my kids to play around with if they get bored when I have them for a few weeks. I'm not mhch of a gamer but are any of these games too mature for an 8 and 10 year old?

Far Cry 3
Army of two: the 40th day
Army of two the devils cartel
Brink
Dead island
Home front

They've played the call of duty series and love the zombie killing part, so they're not easily scared. But just want to make sure their isn't a lot of cuss words or hooker banging like in GTA.

D

Deuce

Quick question...

Picked up an old 360 and some games to throw on an extra TV for my kids to play around with if they get bored when I have them for a few weeks. I'm not mhch of a gamer but are any of these games too mature for an 8 and 10 year old?

Far Cry 3
Army of two: the 40th day
Army of two the devils cartel
Brink
Dead island
Home front

They've played the call of duty series and love the zombie killing part, so they're not easily scared. But just want to make sure their isn't a lot of cuss words or hooker banging like in GTA.
Far Cry 3 has some language, if I recall. But not crazy. I can't speak to any of the others except for Dead Island but it sounds like you're good with zombie/gore.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Just perfectly fricking voice acted, completely nailed it. Gonna be another hit, you can tell.

There's speculation that this may be another game with the "three protagonist" set up that Rockstar introduced with GTA5.

I'm really hoping John Marsten (Rob Wiethoff) makes an appearance, even if he's not a playable character. It's definitely connected because the end of that trailer, a character is talking to "Dutch," who is Dutch Vanderlind, from the original game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom