TV Thread

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I know it's popular. I just never watched it. Is it that good? Comedy or Drama?
Larry David is the main character, the balding guy with white hair and glasses. He was one of the creators of Seinfeld and a writer for the show, he's the real-life person who was best friends with Jerry Seinfeld, that the George Costanza character was loosely based off of.

Anyway, the show is kind of a mock of what's supposed to be his (Larry David's) real life, post-Seinfeld: He's rich as fuck, living in LA, hobnobs with major and minor celebrities all the time who appear in the show, but he's neurotic and ornery and a former "loser," (like George Costanza was on the show) and his quirks set him at odds with his family, his friends, and the society of Hollywood/LA at large. Keep in mind, though, that on one hand while the entire premise of the show is to portray David's "fish out of water," personality in LA, on the other hand, he's an ultra-liberal former NY Jew living in LA in the Hollywood crowd, so he's also kinda perfectly at home as well. I remember in one episode early in the show, he's trying to create a new TV show, and one of the producers suggests it air on Fox, which David rejects because he "doesn't like their politics." Says it openly.... not Fox news, but Fox the network. This was probably during the Bush administration, that is how long this show has been around. Anyway, like I said, the show just follows him around kinda in his "daily life," which is obviously fake and played up, but is supposed to be depicting "just his day to day life."

It's a pretty good show but I don't think it's QUITE as good as some have made it, but it's held in high esteem because most comedy sucks these days and David is willing to be a little less PC than most. For that I'll give him credit. I haven't seen the show in years but if it's still as good as the first couple seasons, it's certainly worth watching.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Any of you guys watch the series Peaky Blinders on Netflix? I'm into the second season now, and it's gooood.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Any of you guys watch the series Peaky Blinders on Netflix? I'm into the second season now, and it's gooood.
I watched part of season 1. I need to get back to it, apparently.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yep, watched all of it. It gets even better.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
FYI... I'm wearing a newsboy hat with razorblades sewn into the brim of the cap to the DCC Convention.

Just thought I'd let you know.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Squid game did a good job of switching things up.
Pesky blinders is awesome. I need to watch season 6.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Wait...the new season is out?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Ok after searching around filming is done on S6 but still no release date I could find

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Ok after searching around filming is done on S6 but still no release date I could find
Yeah. Spring 2022. I assumed it was out already considering how long it had been talked about. I also don’t have cable. Everything is streamed one way or another so I am not surprised when I miss something.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Regarding Ted Lasso...

Nate is a fucking asshole. But I guess I can't say that because he is a person of color.[/SPOILER}

Cotton

Staff member
Regarding Ted Lasso...

Nate is a fucking asshole. But I guess I can't say that because he is a person of color.[/SPOILER}
Fuck him. He's a dickhead. And now he is on to another team, apparently.

Cotton

Staff member
Started watching Squid Game last night. Got 3 episodes in. It is weird as shit, but I couldn't stop watching.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Started watching Squid Game last night. Got 3 episodes in. It is weird as shit, but I couldn't stop watching.
First one was good. Second one lost my attention, so I am deciding whether to push on.

Cotton

Staff member
Subtitled or dubbed? I've been doing dubbed and I have a hard time with the voices.
I started it as dubbed, and it was even harder to keep up with, so I am doing captions.

Top Bottom