The Gun Thread

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Alright gents. Off to Wyoming for a week for Mule deer, and then over to Utah for a week or so for elk. Wish me luck and I'll visit when I get back. Stay safe all.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Where can I get a cheap but effective gun safe for long rifles? I would prefer something not key-opened, cause what if I lose the key or don't have the key on me when a bad guy breaks in? But also not electric operated, cause what if the power goes out?

Maybe like a number combo entry safe?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Where can I get a cheap but effective gun safe for long rifles? I would prefer something not key-opened, cause what if I lose the key or don't have the key on me when a bad guy breaks in? But also not electric operated, cause what if the power goes out?

Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight.

Sheik

DCC 4Life

You gunna shoot someone with long rifle?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

I got my last one from Costco at nearly half off because it had a little shipping dent

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Tractor supply sells Canon and they are ok. If you pay attention you can catch them on really good sales. I prefer Liberty Safe, but they aren't really that cheap.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Tractor supply sells Canon and they are ok. If you pay attention you can catch them on really good sales. I prefer Liberty Safe, but they aren't really that cheap.
Yeah, I mean, I am looking for something that is not $800 or more and weighing 1000 pounds. I have one AR. I'd like to get a handgun or two at some point, and another AR or two or three, maybe a shotgun.

But I'm not gonna ever be needing a safe for 24 long guns. Like.... 5 would be the most.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yeah, I mean, I am looking for something that is not $800 or more and weighing 1000 pounds. I have one AR. I'd like to get a handgun or two at some point, and another AR or two or three, maybe a shotgun.

But I'm not gonna ever be needing a safe for 24 long guns. Like.... 5 would be the most.
I think Academy and Tractor Supply have some decent smaller safes, might check Bass Pro/Cabelas too

Cotton

Staff member
For those that don't want to click on the link:

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
If anyone is interested....I bought this last night at Grizzly Industrial. Bald Eagle BE1152 -Was originally 300 dollars, now marked way down. Heavy duty (16ilbs) shooting rest. Perfect for guys like me who sight in heavy calibers or simply want a shit ton better rest than what Caldwell offers. I tried Caldwell and its nothing compared to one of these. Tried The Rock, then tried one of these at the range....not even close. Stability and the ability to use nice sand bags for the front makes a lot of difference.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
But did you try A rock?

data

Forbes #1
For those with CCW...carrying your firearm in a backpack purpose-built-for-CCW - ayuh or feh waste of money?

Cotton

Staff member
I would use this backpack for carrying additional weapons but not my normal carry weapon. I would still carry my main carry weapon on my person. The backpack would be nice for carrying extra mags too.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
If you use a backpack a lot I see the value, my wife has a purse with a ccw hidden easy access holster she uses sometimes

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
So I bought my daughter and I each a Thompson Center Compass rifle for Christmas. I bought her a 6.5 CM and a .308 for me. Inexpensive little rifles with great value and some amazing accuracy. I put a 20 year old Simmons scope on hers and shot 5 shot groups I could cover with a quarter. I haven't tuned in the .308 yet, but I'm excited for it. Both came with cheap polymer stocks, but I'm going to order laminate stocks from Boyd's which should make them even more accurate.

Regardless, I also bought a Remington 700 AAC-Sd tactical in 6.5 CM for myself. That one I want to turn into a distance shooter and medium range hunter. It's already getting a Triggertech trigger and a KRG stock, but I'm pondering scope choices. Trying to stick around $1500 or so. Scopes I've researched are Steiner T5X, Leupold Mark 5 5-25, Vortex Razor 2 HD 5-25, Bushnell XTR 2 and DMR Pro 2, and a few others. Some of these companies offer LE discounts which put them in my price range. Nightforce isn't in this range to consider. Anyone had any interaction with any of these scopes and can offer an opinion? Mitli?

Top Bottom