The Gun Thread

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Nice, not familiar with their full builds but Spikes does have some really cool custom lowers
I got the one with the Viking stamped lower.

UncleMilti

Staff member
:lol

UncleMilti

Staff member
You can send me one if you want, I'll fight the good fight. :art
In all seriousness, I bought my 2 sons each an AR-15 and 2 lowers and I keep them in my safe. The lowers were like 45 bucks, and the complete AR was like 499.00....I mean, how can you beat that?

When the boys are much older I'll give them the guns and lowers and what they do with it is up to them.

I also have stockpiled 30 round mags. I'm up to 75 right now.

:unsure

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I also have stockpiled 30 round mags. I'm up to 75 right now.

:unsure
I'm not far behind you, I've also been getting the 60rnd and up drum mags when I find them in stock

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Ok, hunting rifle question. Anyone ever shot a Tikka and if so what were your thoughts. I'm going to buy a new rifle in 7mm Rem Mag and not sure if I want a Tikka or Savage like the 111 Long Range Hunter.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Ok, hunting rifle question. Anyone ever shot a Tikka and if so what were your thoughts. I'm going to buy a new rifle in 7mm Rem Mag and not sure if I want a Tikka or Savage like the 111 Long Range Hunter.
Both are great guns. Out of the box accuracy is top notch on either one. However, if you are at all interested in customizing (say a new stock, action accurizing, etc) you will find a lot more options and it will be a ton cheaper on the Savage.

Not that you are asking my opinion, but I'm a huge Remington fan, because of the number of gunsmiths who accurize them and make parts for them. Heres one of a few of my custom rifles built off a Rem 700 based action.

Last edited:

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I looked at a custom builder here in town called Alamo Precision. They do really good work. A standard custom they build off the Rem 700 action starts at $1900. It's a nice gun as is, but I don't know that I need that to shoot an elk or deer. The 15 year old uncustomized 700ADL I have does that fine. But, I do want another to put the Burris Illuminator III 4x16 50mm that I'm gonna buy on. Therefore, for the money, I was looking at one of those. $7-900 for the rifle, $1400 for the scope, and Elk in the freezer! :buddy

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
For about $500 more they'll build it with a custom action too. Their standard model looked a lot like yours, but had the barrel fluted as well.

UncleMilti

Staff member
I looked at a custom builder here in town called Alamo Precision. They do really good work. A standard custom they build off the Rem 700 action starts at $1900. It's a nice gun as is, but I don't know that I need that to shoot an elk or deer. The 15 year old uncustomized 700ADL I have does that fine. But, I do want another to put the Burris Illuminator III 4x16 50mm that I'm gonna buy on. Therefore, for the money, I was looking at one of those. $7-900 for the rifle, $1400 for the scope, and Elk in the freezer! :buddy
Solid logic.

I decided to go the customized route back in 2007 because I was shooting out to 500 yards on some of my hunts and also wanted some different attachment points for bipods and stuff like that.

Then it became about weight. The Rem 700 actions have a lot of guys building stocks for them.

The rifle in the pic weighs in at 6 pounds bare and is chambered in 280 AI. It has the same energy at 600 yards as any of the magnums with about 25% less recoil. I took an elk in CO at 488 yards with it off a Trigger Stick tripod.

But to answer your question again, I prefer the Savage because of its accuracy.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Solid logic.

I decided to go the customized route back in 2007 because I was shooting out to 500 yards on some of my hunts and also wanted some different attachment points for bipods and stuff like that.

Then it became about weight. The Rem 700 actions have a lot of guys building stocks for them.

The rifle in the pic weighs in at 6 pounds bare and is chambered in 280 AI. It has the same energy at 600 yards as any of the magnums with about 25% less recoil. I took an elk in CO at 488 yards with it off a Trigger Stick tripod.

You monster.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Solid logic.

280 AI is not a round I'm familiar with. All the guys in my group shoot 300 WM. I like my 7mm Rem Mag. I took my deer at 175 and he jumped, did a flip and DRT. My elk I got at 375. With my Dead Air Sandman TI shooting 175 grains, it shoots like a 243.

UncleMilti

Staff member
280 AI is not a round I'm familiar with. All the guys in my group shoot 300 WM. I like my 7mm Rem Mag. I took my deer at 175 and he jumped, did a flip and DRT. My elk I got at 375. With my Dead Air Sandman TI shooting 175 grains, it shoots like a 243.
Honestly, I think too many guys get caught up in caliber and the bigger is better theory.

I just killed a 404 pound Red Stag at 296 yards with a 150 grain .308 Hornady Superformance Ballistic tip. It took a half step and dropped. My guide didn't think the bullet would drop the Stag and was already planning to have to track it. I'm very confident in the .308 out to 400-500 yards on big game.

I have a .300 WSM, a 7WSM, a .308, a 280AI, .25-06, and several more I can't remember. All will kill just fine if I do my job.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I just killed a 404 pound Red Stag at 296 yards with a 150 grain .308 Hornady Superformance Ballistic tip.
Oh yeah, well I killed a rabbit in my back yard last night with a pellet gun. Top that.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Top Bottom