jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

2.3 million for June

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I built my own AR with a kit from Palmetto State Armory and the Anderson lower. Later I traded a guy for a Del Ton AR. I added a red dot and sling to my custom built AR it shoots much better than the preconstructed one from Del Ton.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I'm also a Sig guy. I have shot and owned Hi Point, Glock, Sig, S&W, Springfield, and Browning. The Sigs and the browning are the only two I never had a jam in. I like the weight of the Sigs and I have had great accuracy from them.

Cotton

Staff member
I built my own AR with a kit from Palmetto State Armory and the Anderson lower. Later I traded a guy for a Del Ton AR. I added a red dot and sling to my custom built AR it shoots much better than the preconstructed one from Del Ton.
Both of my AR (AR10 and AR15) came from PSA. They are good guns.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm also a Sig guy. I have shot and owned Hi Point, Glock, Sig, S&W, Springfield, and Browning. The Sigs and the browning are the only two I never had a jam in. I like the weight of the Sigs and I have had great accuracy from them.
I bought my first Sig about 9 months ago. I really like it. I bought the Texas edition P938.

0b1011220d7ff48bb96a6442b33a3024.jpg

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Hello gun guys, I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm not into guns and don't know much about them, but my wife and I have decided that it's time we each get one and pursue a concealed carry permit.

A really good friend had been taking me out to the gun range and let me shoot all kinds of different pistols and rifles, but I was a terrible shot. He was patient, though, and didn't mock me too badly. He passed away in a bad car wreck, and I haven't shot any more since.

So I'm basically a noob.

What are the things we need to be looking for when perusing used firearms? Or would it be best to buy new?

I'm not familiar with the buying process, but I assume you pay for the piece and it takes several weeks to get it.

Thanks, I'll take your comments off the air.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Hello gun guys, I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm not into guns and don't know much about them, but my wife and I have decided that it's time we each get one and pursue a concealed carry permit.

A really good friend had been taking me out to the gun range and let me shoot all kinds of different pistols and rifles, but I was a terrible shot. He was patient, though, and didn't mock me too badly. He passed away in a bad car wreck, and I haven't shot any more since.

So I'm basically a noob.

What are the things we need to be looking for when perusing used firearms? Or would it be best to buy new?

I'm not familiar with the buying process, but I assume you pay for the piece and it takes several weeks to get it.

Thanks, I'll take your comments off the air.
You should be able to get your firearm the same day, as long as there are no problems with your background checks. Although, I could be wrong, as I don't know if there are other law requirements in Georgia.

Buying a used firearm should be fine, especially if you buy from a reputable dealer. One of the main things I'd look for is when you rack the slide, make sure everything is firm. Meaning, there is no looseness or wobble as you are working the action. Look for any pitting on the inside of both the chamber and the barrel.

I would recommend not going with too big of a caliber for your first concealed carry. I would probably stay with 9mm or smaller. My wife has a Springfield 9mm and likes it. I love that gun, too, although I carry a Kimber .45 She started with a Ruger .380 but neither of us really liked that gun. It was a nice small fit for her hand, but since it was so small, the slide was a little harder for her work easily. And also, for a small gun, that sucker was LOUD. Worse than even my K45. She flinched every time she fired it, so we just got rid of it and went to the SF9.

Also, if you and your wife are inexperienced shooting pistols, practice first with a .22 They are a good gun to work with as you are getting experience. If you can, borrow one to practice with. Ammo is dirt cheap, and the noise and recoil are minimal. If you can, maybe even buy one used, as they are very inexpensive. A good gun to have around for practice and plinking, and if you plan to introduce your kids to gun safety and eventual shooting, it is the perfect gun to do so. Even if you don't plan on having your kids shoot, it is a good idea to have them all around and teach them about it, too. That a gun is nothing to be afraid of, but it is to be respected and never touched without you or their mother around. Let them know that a gun is a useful tool, but can be very dangerous if handled improperly. It will take their curiosity away, and the urge to go check it out when you are not around.

When you bring your gun home, I would recommend taking it apart and putting it back together over and over until you are proficient at it. Learn the parts of your gun, and what they are for. Your wife, too. It will make you all more comfortable with it when it comes time to start shooting it. And will also help you when it comes time to clean your gun.

And finally, just practice. Time on the range will make you both more comfortable and proficient.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Appreciate that post, @NoDak .

Great suggestion about the .22...think we'll start off with one and get some confidence.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Top Bottom