The Gun Thread

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You get what you pay for in optics. If you can't afford it now, save for a little while and get a good one. If you go cheap, you'll regret it and eventually upgrade to the one you should have bought in the first place. Then you're stuck with the junk you wasted money on.

Decide what range you'll be needing. What kind of weather you'll be using it in. What kind of 'abuse' it will be taking. (will you only be taking it out a couple times a year, or will this be bouncing around in a truck all year)

Myself, I prefer Leupold scopes. Imo, they have the best warranty out there. You can get a damn good 3x9x40 Leupold that will hold zero through an earthquake, and is a very good all purpose scope. For around 400 or less depending on sales, location, etc... I've had one of these on my 7mm Rem mag that I bought in 1998. Still holds true like it did out of the box.

I have the Leupold MK AR 4x12x40 on my Colt AR15. https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/mark-ar-mod-1-4-12x40mm

Also, make sure whichever scope you decide on that you check into how it holds up to temperature change and moisture. Nothing worse than a scope that fogs up. Even the temp change between the cab of your truck when you first take it outside can cause a cheap scope to fog up on the inside. Then you're F'd.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Vortex also has a no worries lifetime guarantee. I have the Viper PST 4-16 with the front focal plane on mine hunting rifle. Great piece of glass. About 1200 retail when I bought it, I gave 800. Vortex's warranty is as good as Leupold. My next scope however, will be a Burris Illumintor 4-16. It's about 1400, but it's super cool for hunting.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Holy hell. I have never priced scopes before, obviously, because that seems high.
Seriously?

You wouldn't wanna see what I pay for the ones on my hunting rigs. 3K is a bargain.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Seriously?

You wouldn't wanna see what I pay for the ones on my hunting rigs. 3K is a bargain.
Yeah, rifle scopes can get crazy expensive. Brands like Hensoldt, Swarovski, and NightForce can put you in the poor house.

Hell, Leupold has scopes that will run 5k. https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Leupold-Mark-8-Rifle-Scopes/productDetail/Rifle-Scopes/prod99999056792/cat100738?ref=google&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0a7YBRDnARIsAJgsF3NTExGStEGG_g-oG0y2_Zew-Ug6z_qwFt6UNU5yyjlFuW39dCD-LlMaArX3EALw_wcB

For what I use them for, my 800 dollar and less scopes are just fine. I don't have the need to shoot a deer at 2k meters in high winds. When the need arises to make a shot in those conditions, I'll just borrow my brother's. :art

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah, rifle scopes can get crazy expensive. Brands like Hensoldt, Swarovski, and NightForce can put you in the poor house.

Hell, Leupold has scopes that will run 5k. https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Leupold-Mark-8-Rifle-Scopes/productDetail/Rifle-Scopes/prod99999056792/cat100738?ref=google&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0a7YBRDnARIsAJgsF3NTExGStEGG_g-oG0y2_Zew-Ug6z_qwFt6UNU5yyjlFuW39dCD-LlMaArX3EALw_wcB

For what I use them for, my 800 dollar and less scopes are just fine. I don't have the need to shoot a deer at 2k meters in high winds. When the need arises to make a shot in those conditions, I'll just borrow my brother's. :art
Or you could probably buy a deer foot that amount.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Riflescope-Reticle-Pst-624f1-/dp/B003AQUGXC?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B003AQUGXC

The Rear focal plane with the constant sized reticle is about $300 less. Both really good scopes with lifetime warranties.

This is the scope I have. Took my elk at nearly 400 yards with little to no problem. Standing, offhand shot after a 30 yard sprint. No joke.We were riding a Polaris on a backroad when a herd ran across the road about 30 yards in front of us. Got out of the Ranger, ran north though the trees and for some reason they stopped in a clearing on the other side of the trees. My friend had the Burris I mentioned earlier and ranged them at just over 380. All 3 of us got our cow that day. Mine took 2 shots.

FFp by th eway means that the reticle resizes as you zoom in our out so it stays sized right for the zoom level so your mil dots are still accurate. Second focal plane, the reticle is constant regardless your zoom. it's preference really.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Looks I may need to wait a bit to buy a scope. After spending $1300 on guns the last week, I doubt my wife would be all that keen on me dropping a grand or so on a scope. :lol

UncleMilti

Staff member

Leupold has really stepped up their game in the last few years....some of their scopes are world class.

For me, as I've gotten older I simply don't see as well during that critical 10-15 minutes of the last light when I'm hunting. I borrowed one of my buddies Tangent-Theta scopes a couple years ago and I saw what top quality glass does for old eyes. Since then, I've invested in the glass a bit more than what I did 15 years ago.

UncleMilti

Staff member
https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Riflescope-Reticle-Pst-624f1-/dp/B003AQUGXC?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B003AQUGXC

The Rear focal plane with the constant sized reticle is about $300 less. Both really good scopes with lifetime warranties.

This is the scope I have. Took my elk at nearly 400 yards with little to no problem. Standing, offhand shot after a 30 yard sprint. No joke.We were riding a Polaris on a backroad when a herd ran across the road about 30 yards in front of us. Got out of the Ranger, ran north though the trees and for some reason they stopped in a clearing on the other side of the trees. My friend had the Burris I mentioned earlier and ranged them at just over 380. All 3 of us got our cow that day. Mine took 2 shots.

FFp by th eway means that the reticle resizes as you zoom in our out so it stays sized right for the zoom level so your mil dots are still accurate. Second focal plane, the reticle is constant regardless your zoom. it's preference really.
This is a really good explanation...as much as I shoot long distance I never really worried about the FFP or SFP since I laser range find everything and know my drops. A lot of guys don't like a busy SFP reticle, so they go with the FFP since at low power the reticle is much thinner.

Of course none of this matters to Cotton since he thought 200 bucks was highway robbery for a scope.

:unsure

Cotton

Staff member
This is a really good explanation...as much as I shoot long distance I never really worried about the FFP or SFP since I laser range find everything and know my drops. A lot of guys don't like a busy SFP reticle, so they go with the FFP since at low power the reticle is much thinner.

Of course none of this matters to Cotton since he thought 200 bucks was highway robbery for a scope.

:unsure
No, I thought 800 was high. Looks like I may have to get a second job to be able to afford one. :lol

Cotton

Staff member
I've got an ATN Thermal scope, but its way more expensive so I'm not sure how their lower priced models compare.
Lots of cool features. This is one that a cop buddy of mine recommended, so wanted to see what you guys thought.

Cotton

Staff member
I pick up all 3 guns today. Already have my holster ordered for the .45, and have ordered 3 more mags for the ARs. :towel

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom