X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pit bull question

My house backs up to a ponding basin, and was broken into last year. Since then on at least two occasions while I was at work people have hopped my back fence to see if they could get in.

My current dog comes to work with me every day, yet at 47 pounds and incapable of fighting anything she wouldn't be any help if she was home.

So i was thinking of getting a pit for my backyard. I would prefer a Doberman, everyone I have ever seen was protective and smart, but I don't think the personality is right to be alone from 8-6 daily.

Would a pit, as a breed, protect the backyard? I understand it is some what subjective, my last black mouth cur would have fought to death, this one not so much.

Thoughts on the best backyard defense dog?

A pit on looks alone makes for a great defense dog. Mine doesn't bark a lot, but when he huffs and growls it is more than sufficient enough of a deterrent to make someone think twice before they jump the fence. Although mine would probably never even bite someone breaking in, it's highly doubtful anyone would have the nuts to jump the fence and even attempt it.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

They stole my TV, I need one that bites.

I might just go see what the pound has in stock. They are always good for a few pits.

It is not my everyday dog so I am less concerned about pure bred

Comment

Originally posted by jeebs View Post
        They stole my TV, I need one that bites.

I might just go see what the pound has in stock. They are always good for a few pits.

It is not my everyday dog so I am less concerned about pure bred
        Oh, pits bite. (obviously) I just raised mine to be subservient because I have kids and I had to be able to trust him around them.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamtdg View Post
          Oh, pits bite. (obviously) I just raised mine to be subservient because I have kids and I had to be able to trust him around them.
          I don't want him to bite me! Fucker better be subservient...

Comment

Originally posted by jeebs View Post
            I don't want him to bite me! Fucker better be subservient...
            Yeah, mine would never even think about even growling at me let alone biting me. But, I'm not sure he would even bit someone jumping the fence. Maybe he would, I don't know. Hopefully, I never have to find out.

Comment

But seriously, I worry because sometimes pits have he personality of labs and it takes a whole lot to get them riled. I trust a Doberman or a German shepered to get riled if someone hops the back fence. Seems like my odds are closer to 50/50 with a pit (and 1 in 10 with a lab).

Comment

Dude... Get a German shepherd. Smart, disciplined, great watch dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by midswat View Post
                  My biggest objection is they have beedy eyes.

And the smarter the dog the more I worry about him being alone for 10 hours a day.

Comment

Rottweiler?

Comment

Originally posted by pdom View Post
                      Rottweiler?
                      Not a bad selection. They are smart and very loyal.

Comment

Pits are sensitive and needy, like labs, a lot of the time. I've seen them develop separation anxiety and tear shit up while their owners are gone.

Your German Shepherds are going to be more independent and comfortable being left alone while you're at work for long hours. Any large Shepherd type breed will have that "protect the flock/territory while the master is away" instinct since that was what they were specifically bred for.
                        #firegarrett

Comment

Originally posted by midswat View Post
                          Love German Shepherds, really smart dogs, just they are escape artists. I've had 3 and they all could scale a 6' fence, now they would always come back(usually waiting on front porch when one of us got home) it's just something you need to be aware of. Now we have an English Mastiff that is a big baby but he is big enough to scare any would-be thief
                          2018 DCC Super Bowl Bingo Champion

Comment

A dog that jumps the fence isn't going to be able to protect the backyard very well if he ain't in it.

Comment

Get a Pitbull and you'll be posting about how it maimed a three year old before you know it.

Comment

Working...
                              X