BBQ Thread

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Which one did you go for and do you recommend I look at it?
I bought a Pit Boss Classic 700 sq. inch grill from Walmart. They usually cost about $400 but I caught it on sale for $340.

Yes I would recommend it. From what I can tell its pretty comparable to some of the higher end pellet grills like Traeger.

It has two outlets for meat temperature probes and holds the temperature really well. It also has a "prime" setting that basically allows you to control the amount of smoke being put out. So if you want to go for a deep smokey flavor you can adjust the setting accordingly and smoke the hell out of whatever you're grilling.

Aside from meats, I've also used the grill to cook pizza and vegetables. Supposedly you can bake cookies on the grill as well without your cookies having that grill smoke flavor added to them. I haven't baked cookies yet but when I did the pizzas on it the pizzas didn't have that smokey flavor (by choice).

The thing also has a flame broil feature which is good for burgers and steaks.

It's big enough where I can get two slabs of ribs on the bottom rack and utilize the top rack for whatever.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
My place is in California. I’d rather not say the name of it, it’s not a chain or anything recognizable.

If if any of you are ever in Fresno California and you guys are hungry, shoot me a private message and I’ll give the details.

It’s going amazingly well. I had previously opened an espresso bar/ice cream parlor for my wife to run, that was going really well and we were offered the chance to renovate a vacant restaurant not far from the location she was in. It had all the nuts and bolts in the kitchen as far as the hood system and and stuff, so we jumped at the opportunity.

We’ve already been featured in the newspaper and have had a fantastic response from the community. I keep waiting for the business to level off so I can figure out what we should expect going forward, but it keeps growing.

The hours suck my balls. We’ve been incredibly lucky with finding help, it’s pretty expensive to hire help, but we have to have the help.

Right now now my work days are 6 days a week and 14 hours a day. I do all the cooking right now, but we hired this chick that really impresses me(dangerously hot too, but so is my wife, so I’ll be good.) and she’s fun as hell to work with. She wants to cook and is picking it up really quickly.

My advice to anyone looking to do something like this is, don’t get lazy. It’s way cheaper to make fresh food with fresh ingredients. Yeah, it’s easy to open a can and heat something up, but people can taste the difference.

I’ve never felt more fulfilled. When you hear people bragging about the food you serve, it’s really a moral booster when I’m dragging ass.

My my favorite thing is when my wife tells me someone comments about the prices being a little steep, then after they eat they come back up and leave a $5 tip in the cup and comment about how much they enjoyed the experience. It’s all a little overwhelming at times.

Of course you get a dickhead here and there, but it’s at least 100 to 1 good versus bad customers.

I wish you all the luck if you take the leap, and if you ever have any questions, feel free to drop me a line.
Inspiring post, Sheik...I've been thinking of trying something like this myself. But even if I never do, it's great to hear about your approach.

Post more, seriously.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
To have a smart-smoker for those long 12 hours smokes when you go out for errands, how valuable is having the ability to monitor and alter settings from your smartphone?
I hope you mistakenly put rabbit food in your fancy little pellet grill.

GTFO of the BBQ thread with this bitch nonsense!

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I hope you mistakenly put rabbit food in your fancy little pellet grill.

GTFO of the BBQ thread with this bitch nonsense!
I make cucumber sandwiches and avocado toast on my pellet grill for pregame snacks.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
:lol

The Battle for Georgia.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I make cucumber sandwiches and avocado toast on my pellet grill for pregame snacks.
Get that Fisher-Price shit out mah face, pal!

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
This weekend I'm going to smoke my first whole hog.

Have sat around and drank beer all night with others, but have never done it all myself.

data

Forbes #1
Inspiring post, Sheik...I've been thinking of trying something like this myself. But even if I never do, it's great to hear about your approach.

Post more, seriously.
Hey, nutty. I’ve got a restaurant, too.

I mean, it’s kind of a jumble of ideas and thoughts in my head right now, but I’ve already got people (plural) wanting to RSVP the soft open.

...now you’re cup overfloweth with inspiration. You know, you’re welcome and, yes, I graciously post more seriously.

think it’s gone be named “Pellet to Plate”

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

I mean, it’s kind of a jumble of ideas and thoughts in my head right now, but I’ve already got people (plural) wanting to RSVP the soft open.

...now you’re cup overfloweth with inspiration. You know, you’re welcome and, yes, I graciously post more seriously.

We need a table for five at 7pm.

I want those woodsy pellets to singe my palette, please don't let me down.

Guess I shouldn't give you too much grief since you're in SF. Y'all can't burn wood around there, so the pellets may be your only choice.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

other possible names:

Run tell it, your food was cooked on a pellet

Our grill fuel is not rabbit droppings

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haha ignore him, I have a pellet smoker and it's wonderful. But I also used to grill with propane so I'm questionable.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Haha ignore him, I have a pellet smoker and it's wonderful. But I also used to grill with propane so I'm questionable.
With the latest round of updates, it seems I'm no longer able to ban users from threads.

I need an owner to look into this ASAP.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

data

Forbes #1
I bought a Pit Boss Classic 700 sq. inch grill from Walmart. They usually cost about $400 but I caught it on sale for $340.

Yes I would recommend it. From what I can tell its pretty comparable to some of the higher end pellet grills like Traeger.

It has two outlets for meat temperature probes and holds the temperature really well. It also has a "prime" setting that basically allows you to control the amount of smoke being put out. So if you want to go for a deep smokey flavor you can adjust the setting accordingly and smoke the hell out of whatever you're grilling.

Aside from meats, I've also used the grill to cook pizza and vegetables. Supposedly you can bake cookies on the grill as well without your cookies having that grill smoke flavor added to them. I haven't baked cookies yet but when I did the pizzas on it the pizzas didn't have that smokey flavor (by choice).

The thing also has a flame broil feature which is good for burgers and steaks.

It's big enough where I can get two slabs of ribs on the bottom rack and utilize the top rack for whatever.
Thanks for the feedback. Through my research I had started to buy into the necessity, not luxury, of some features for grills double the price.

Your feedback brought me back to reality. Even the most expensive wood pellet grill isn’t gonna generate the best quality food, it’s primary benefit is set-it-and-forget-it. So I went with the Camp Chef. With a gift card, I only spent $300 on it. Comes this weekend so look forward for updates.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback. Through my research I had started to buy into the necessity, not luxury, of some features for grills double the price.

Your feedback brought me back to reality. Even the most expensive wood pellet grill isn’t gonna generate the best quality food, it’s primary benefit is set-it-and-forget-it. So I went with the Camp Chef. With a gift card, I only spent $300 on it. Comes this weekend so look forward for updates.
I had thought about theirs. Their advertising is too notch.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
This weekend I'm going to smoke my first whole hog.

Have sat around and drank beer all night with others, but have never done it all myself.
Cool, you using a cinderblock pit or is your smoker big enough? We have a trailer propane tank smoker my Grandfather built that I have done a couple on

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Cool, you using a cinderblock pit or is your smoker big enough? We have a trailer propane tank smoker my Grandfather built that I have done a couple on
I've got a big pull-behind smoker, will probably have to take the top rack out to fit the hog in.

Supposed to be getting a small one, maybe 75 pounds.

I've been cooking ribs, turkeys, briskets, chickens, and butts on this beast for the last couple years and have been wanting to do a hog since I got it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I almost splurged on a Rec Tec. Look those grills up. Fancy website.
Yeah I have a lawyer friend who has one and swears by it. I guess if you have any issues they literally give you a phone number to the owners to talk to them directly. It's a great product but I didn't think I would use it enough to justify the price. I wish I had more time but honestly our grocery shopping and cooking has gone to shit with a baby in the house.

Top Bottom