BBQ Thread

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I don't care for pineapple. In fact, I get enraged when it is placed into my food without my knowledge.

My wife once put it in some stir fry and I lost my shit.
Well fuck you, then!

How bout next time you're smoking a butt or brisket or whatever, plan on making some mashed potatoes.

Poke holes all over the taters and throw them in the smoker til they soften and give them to your wife to process.

That's some damn good eating, especially with applewood.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'll be starting a couple butts this evening and have started brining them in an apple cider/cider vinger/rub/salt solution.

I brine them in a food-grade 5 gallon bucket. When they go on the smoker, reserve several cups of the brine and boil the shit out of it for 5-10 minutes and put in fridge.

When you're processing your bbq pour the brine in it as needed. It's also a good base for gravy if you're smoking mashed taters too.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So when someone says they BBQed, do you assume they just grilled meat?

Some people say they "had a BBQ", when all they did is grill burgers and weenies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So when someone says they BBQed, do you assume they just grilled meat?

Some people say they "had a BBQ", when all they did is grill burgers and weenies.
I think that mainly depends on your local area. Here we call it cooking out or grilling when we just do burgers and whatnot. A BBQ are things like brisket, ribs, pulled pork, etc.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think that mainly depends on your local area. Here we call it cooking out or grilling when we just do burgers and whatnot. A BBQ are things like brisket, ribs, pulled pork, etc.
That’s right. There are several meanings to the term and it depends a great deal on where you reside. Generally it entails cooking outdoors on a grill or other flame utilized devices for the process.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That’s right. There are several meanings to the term and it depends a great deal on where you reside. Generally it entails cooking outdoors on a grill or other flame utilized devices for the process.
Exactly. It does seem to matter where you come from.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Shit the site down. No reason to like discuss shit and stuff.
Jesus. Sensitive much? I asked a question, I didn't tell you you couldn't talk about it.

I didn't think it mattered, so I asked why it would.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
So I finally used mustard and pickle juice on a brisket before applying my rub. It was....ok. I don’t get the hype.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So I finally used mustard and pickle juice on a brisket before applying my rub. It was....ok. I don’t get the hype.
I've never heard of using pickle juice. Is that supposed to add a flavor? I use mustard on a lot of things before applying my rub. Ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, etc... Mustard doesn't leave any kind of flavor, it's just a cheap condiment to use to help the rub to stick. And it's also lower calorie (and price) than using something like mayo, which I've never tried myself but have eaten other people's BBQ that have used it. You can't taste it at all.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Never heard of using pickle juice either but like Nodak said use mustard all the time

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I've never heard of using pickle juice. Is that supposed to add a flavor? I use mustard on a lot of things before applying my rub. Ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, etc... Mustard doesn't leave any kind of flavor, it's just a cheap condiment to use to help the rub to stick. And it's also lower calorie (and price) than using something like mayo, which I've never tried myself but have eaten other people's BBQ that have used it. You can't taste it at all.
Everyone knows pickle juice is the gator add of the Philadelphia Eagles. It is to used in the hot temperature games as a drink to avoid cramps. It is not effective as a rub for meats.

data

Forbes #1
Rank your favorite 5 BBQ entrees (not side dishes):
1. KC style burnt ends
2. Stl style pork ribs
3. Rib eye steak
4. Brisket
5. Tri-tip

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
1. Spam steaks
2. weiners
3. cheese-filled weiners
4. chili-filled weiners
5. boloney meat

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Never heard of using pickle juice either but like Nodak said use mustard all the time
I haven't either, but I'm guessing it's used like apple cider vinegar to break down the meat. Or, at least, I am assuming so. I would assume pickle juice is acidic. But, then again, I could be way off. Personally, I have never used ACV on brisket, but I have heard of people doing it. I only use it on ribs.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
What is ACV?

Seems like using pickle juice on a brisket would lead to pastrami.

Top Bottom